LedFTed

ground hornets

my brother was using the bushhog, an got attacked by those little hornets. i was wondering how you find the nest, without getting stung? i gotta a plan... involves gas... 💣

Edited by LedFTed

5 hours ago, LedFTed said:

my brother was using the bushhog, an got attacked by those little hornets. i was wondering how you find the nest, without getting stung? i gotta a plan... involves gas... 💣

I must be allergic to ground hornets cause they swell me up and hurt me worst than any other bee or wasp out there -----  don't know any tricks to locating their hole 

Around here Yellow Jackets are the ground dwellers.   They like sweet drinks and meat.  Here's how to find the nest.  It takes some ground cooked chicken, a little time and patience and....Gas.

Place a few tiny pieces chicken on a dish, plate or whatever near where you suspect them to be.  Watch for one to pick up a piece and fly off.  Watch it and move the buffet table to the place you last saw the wasp.  Repeat moving the chicken closer and closer to the nest.  These guys drink sweets for themselves but take meat back to the nest.  Once you find the nest you know what to do.

• Like 2

I seen one way to take the ground hornets  ,  take a bowl with apple cider / 2 cups , sugar / 2 cups and Dawn dish water liquid / 2 table spoons , they will come to drink and get the Dawn on their bodies and it will mess them up and they fall into the bowl and drown 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LedFTed said:

depends on what type of hornet your talking there are so many species, that nest in the ground. and yes gas would take care them quick, but some hives have multiple tunnels for going in and out of the hive, the best time to go looking for them if you choose to is at night, never in the day time. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I seen one way to take the ground hornets  ,  take a bowl with apple cider / 2 cups , sugar / 2 cups and Dawn dish water liquid / 2 table spoons , they will come to drink and get the Dawn on their bodies and it will mess them up and they fall into the bowl and drown 

Found these at Rural King.  When the Hummingbird feeder sugar water gets changed it get recycled to the Yellow Jacket traps.  Concave bottom with a hole and cork up top.  These do not trap Honey Bees.  Just Yellow Jackets. 

20210919_072026.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, LedFTed said:

How do you find them?  You get your brother to bushhog the same place again and you watch for the place where he starts swatting hysterically and jumping off of the tractor.  That's where they'll be.  😁

It was a few weeks ago that I was trimming around my trailer where some old wood was stacked.  I felt my legs start burning and when I looked down yellow jackets were all over my pant legs..  I took off swatting at them then stopped to knock them off of my pants.  They just kept on coming.  I got stung on the legs. arms and face.  I still haven't destroyed their nest.  This is the second time in my life that I've been attacked by yellow jackets.  The first time I was about 15 years old hunting papaws with my dad.  

I don't know about ground hornets stinging at night but I can tell you that the hornets that have nests hanging from trees will sting at night if you bother them.  Don't ask me how I know.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Last year I was cutting an oil tank storage at work. I was on a tractor and another guy was weed eating. He found a nest of them and was stung several times,once on the nose! We let them settle and doused them with gas. Later on I found another nest and came out with just one sting. Way worse than a wasp sting, we rubbed them with bleach to try to take the sting out but didn’t help. Guys nose had a hole in it for a while. Cut the same place.Friday and was on the lookout for them but they weren’t there.

Welp, he found the nest, the hornets are still buzzing around it, least the approximate location. e's still itching, and has red areas. those ground hornets must pack a whollop!! i seen 1 of the stingers on one, 3/8 and they can do mutable stings. the only thing i found to help the itch was ichthemol, castor oil, an maybe amonia.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kevron said:

Last year I was cutting an oil tank storage at work. I was on a tractor and another guy was weed eating. He found a nest of them and was stung several times,once on the nose! We let them settle and doused them with gas. Later on I found another nest and came out with just one sting. Way worse than a wasp sting, we rubbed them with bleach to try to take the sting out but didn’t help. Guys nose had a hole in it for a while. Cut the same place.Friday and was on the lookout for them but they weren’t there.

i got stung by a red wasp one, in the neck, an it felt like i got hit with a baseball bat. lucky bleach took care of that sting.

tobacco juice is said to draw the toxins out, i always keep a pouch ready just in case, you said small hornets but the only one i know of having a stinger that long would be the Asian giant hornet one of the largest hornets in the world, and yep, they are here in the states now..... destroying the honey bee population..... and they are a ground hornet, I've seen them many times in hay fields around my area, but there not very aggressive, not like the little ones are. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Welp, he found the nest, the hornets are still buzzing around it, least the approximate location. e's still itching, and has red areas. those ground hornets must pack a whollop!! i seen 1 of the stingers on one, 3/8 and they can do mutable stings. the only thing i found to help the itch was ichthemol, castor oil, an maybe amonia.

A lot of people say to urinate on a sting , guess thats where the ammonia comes in ,   I think I'll just suffer , LOL   

I'm still sticking with ground hornet/ yellow jackets or what ever you want to call them being  the baddest sting  out there ---- I got stung twice on the neck last year and should have gone to the hospital but didn't , it lasted 3 days of pain 

• Like 1

E got em gassed last night. little varmints are toasted, petrol works good. wd40 is near as good as Raid. got many a wasp that way.. cost less also.. not much, just less.. ya need that little red tube to be more accurate, an the can last longer. plus ya can use it for other things as well..

I've used gas to kill ground hornets but never set it on fire. About a cup full will kill them and any that weren't in the nest won't hang around.

Gas or gasoline?  Use gas.  Cutting torch.  Anyone that cuts often gets a feel how far to open the valves to get close.  Open but don't light it and give them buggers a hole full.  Caution !  proper PPE required prior to ignition.  Ohio Blue Tip wooden matches can be tossed a good 15' without going out which puts you just outside of ground zero.

KerPow!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Gas or gasoline?  Use gas.  Cutting torch.  Anyone that cuts often gets a feel how far to open the valves to get close.  Open but don't light it and give them buggers a hole full.  Caution !  proper PPE required prior to ignition.  Ohio Blue Tip wooden matches can be tossed a good 15' without going out which puts you just outside of ground zero.

KerPow!

Straight gasoline - no flames.

Funny I just saw this. Week or two ago I was helping the neighbor cut down some plantation pines. Just finished a face cut and bam bam bam bam. Ended up with a dozen or so before I got away. Flannel shirts and jeans in 90 deg heat and we dug them basturd as out. Hornet killer in each of our hands and a shovel. Once we found the entrance, the nest got stomped out and then soaked in killer. Seemed to have worked. 

On 9/21/2021 at 10:33 AM, PROV said:

I've used gas to kill ground hornets but never set it on fire. About a cup full will kill them and any that weren't in the nest won't hang around.

E didn't set on fire, i would though. gasoline.. 😀

20 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

i remember this. 😀 an the video of the guy in England, who blew up his front yard. think E was using propane. was on the old site.. seemed it was like a 1/3 acre. i tried it myself with moles., couldn't get it to fire. in my research, though, i did find that Peroxide helps the blast.., just not for me..

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

Don't do like I did and pipe your truck exhaust into the ground mole runs.  I think it got rid of my mole problem only because it killed much of my grass. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I got rid of a few moles by flooding their holes with the garden hose ----- once got a rattle snake from under the A/C compressor slab with bleach and the hose , he came out striking 

• Haha 2

On 9/20/2021 at 1:50 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

tobacco juice is said to draw the toxins out, i always keep a pouch ready just in case, you said small hornets but the only one i know of having a stinger that long would be the Asian giant hornet one of the largest hornets in the world, and yep, they are here in the states now..... destroying the honey bee population..... and they are a ground hornet, I've seen them many times in hay fields around my area, but there not very aggressive, not like the little ones are. 

show me a picture, if ya can. i think i might ave run into them before. knocked one out of the air, with my horse stick. {Whip} and stomped it. dang thing was over 2' long..