LedFTed

ground hornets

Here are the little devils that got me a few weeks ago.  I took these pictures today with a 300 mm lens and I still felt like I was too close to them.  I always thought they'd have a small hole going into the ground but this one was a lot bigger than I expected.

DSC_0188 resize.JPG

DSC_0187 resize 2.JPG

• Like 2

looks similar, if not the same. probably imported, like the asian carp, that infest so many waterways. Sparrows were imported, once, to kill bugs. only problem is, they are grain eaters. [thinking windmills an wooden shoes], anywho, sparrows are aggressive, an killing off native songbirds. getting harder to see the old species.

Ran into one of these the other day. Tried to hit it with my cap but missed. Thought it was one of those murder hornets 😁

0B99768F-05A0-4241-92C4-D3613B06FF0F.jpeg

• Like 1

I've seen Cicada Killers around here.  They're so big it's all I can do to keep from grabbing the 12ga.  First reaction is to kill them but the older I get the more I understand the benefits of some of these insects.   That's not to say I'll not place 1lb container of Tannerite under a low hanging Bald Faced Hornet nest.🐝

• Haha 2

Found some more of them to day. 10 or 12 were close to just about where i was going to walk through. they stayed in the same area, an i stayed out of their way. some were just 3' away. had a beer ready to pop open,before i seen them. decided not to pop the top, as they like beer, an i didnt want to draw them in my direction.

Now, just to find the nest..

If ya kill the queen, the hive is dead, so i got to find something the workers, will take back to to nest. most stuff IMO is not designed that way, else you wouldnt have to buy so much...  ever see a can of ant spray, that said, it will kill the queen ant? 🙂

• Haha 1

You might try mixing an old pesticide called Sevin with something sweet.  I know it's deadly to Honey Bees so be aware of that.  Or put some on pieces of ground chicken.   They take that back to the nest.

On 9/27/2021 at 5:30 PM, 56Sierra said:

I've seen Cicada Killers around here.  They're so big it's all I can do to keep from grabbing the 12ga.  First reaction is to kill them but the older I get the more I understand the benefits of some of these insects.   That's not to say I'll not place 1lb container of Tannerite under a low hanging Bald Faced Hornet nest.🐝

They are the labrador retreiver of the wasp world. Very non-aggressive. I saw some of them at my first house and ahve seen 1 or 2 at this one. They are scary but I just leave them alone.

• Like 1

As for the ground hornets. Dad would dump diesel fuel down next and light it if I recall correctly. 

those little ones are a terror, like a chihuahua ankle biter.. .

keep forgetting to go out at night, to pout a little gas where they are hanging out. besides, i cant run as fast, just in case they are out at night..

does smoke make em calm?

3 beers an counting, took a two week break. ;~}

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 2

just an update, they are gone through no action of mine. musta had a meal or something at that spot.

on the other hand, i tried fishes ammonia plan to get rid of moles. it didnt work. i guess ya need a special kind of ammonia.

my aim aint that good, so;

so when the mole moved a bit in the yard, i just poured some bleach down one of the tunnel holes. now its a gone.. a goner.... worked on the groundhog also.

;~}

Was talking with a buddy about rats around his shed , he said that mixing baking soda , flour and cornmeal and then feeding it to them , supposively rats can't fart and they blow up from internal gases ---- fact or myth , LOL 

On 5/2/2022 at 8:14 AM, Fishfiles said:

Was talking with a buddy about rats around his shed , he said that mixing baking soda , flour and cornmeal and then feeding it to them , supposively rats can't fart and they blow up from internal gases ---- fact or myth , LOL 

corn meal, maybe rice, gives them a too big belly, how much baking soda? a box perhaps. only you could hide some bleach in the mix.

Fizzy's were sold to kids, when i were young. they stopped selling them, if ya drink em to fast, splow. they had the stuff that alkalizer has in it. dropdrop fizfiz what a relief it is.  a flavored one for rats? i would like to see this on myth busters, splo-rats.

Might make a series

Edited by LedFTed
just because

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I was really hoping to see some bloated dead rats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

that might work on moles. thought i had a mole thread on this site, have to look. 🙂

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

that might work on moles. thought i had a mole thread on this site, have to look. 🙂

3 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I was really hoping to see some bloated dead rats.

No video of rats being harmed were used  ,  lol  --- I too  was hoping to see one blow up for fart blockage myself 

• Haha 1

I was cutting grass Sunday morning and went into the wood line  just a bit ,  I'd guess , I must have  ran over a ground hornet nest under the ground  , they came out on me and ate me up , I got hit 10 different places , thinking several spots were more than one sting , they got both my ears which is the worst of the bites , them suckers hurt , did some reading on first aid for the stings and vinegar was suggested , it seems to work well , they are the only bee or warp that they classify as having venom 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I was cutting grass Sunday morning and went into the wood line  just a bit ,  I'd guess , I must have  ran over a ground hornet nest under the ground  , they came out on me and ate me up , I got hit 10 different places , thinking several spots were more than one sting , they got both my ears which is the worst of the bites , them suckers hurt , did some reading on first aid for the stings and vinegar was suggested , it seems to work well , they are the only bee or warp that they classify as having venom 

Sucks.  They're bad around here this year.  I stripped down a parts bike yesterday and had a huge wasp nest under the gas tank.  I lucked out there that they didn't get me.

I did get hit on my hand by a big red sucker the day before trying to dig something out of the shed. 

• Like 1

Learn something new every day , I knew that only female mosquitoes bite ,  seems it is the same with warp and hornets that use venom 

Snakes aren’t the only critters with poison potential. Insects also evolved to use venom as a weapon for warding off attackers or immobilizing prey. But instead of using their fangs as a delivery device, insects use a stinger. Originally called an ovipositor, stingers transformed over time from hardened drills that bore through plant tissues to deposit eggs to barbed syringes that pierce flesh and inject a toxic chemical cocktail. Since only female insects had ovipositors, only female insects now have stingers. Depending on the size of the stinger and the potency of the venom, the effect on a human victim ranges from “so what?” to soul-searing.

• Like 1