goosey18

Honda 350 fourtrax

Just joined and looking for someone who does restorations on 4 wheelers…preferably the 86’ Honda fourtrax. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome Goosey

you have pictures of said quad?

what level of resto are you considering?

14 hours ago, Goober said:

Welcome Goosey

you have pictures of said quad?

what level of resto are you considering?

I can get pics, yes and as far as what level, not sure what stages there are but just looking nice(plastics) and no issues with engine and running gear

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Welcome aboard.  First thing we need to know is your location. 

I’m located in Tennessee…just outside of Chattanooga

• Like 1

Just now, goosey18 said:

I’m located in Tennessee…just outside of Chattanooga

@shadetree is in Little Rock.  He might do it, but with his attention to detail, it won't be cheap!  He insists on using new or like new OEM parts.

But you won't get a nicer result.

5 minutes ago, goosey18 said:

I can get pics, yes and as far as what level, not sure what stages there are but just looking nice(plastics) and no issues with engine and running gear

It runs good now and everything works but does have a few i

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

@shadetree is in Little Rock.  He might do it, but with his attention to detail, it won't be cheap!  He insists on using new or like new OEM parts.

But you won't get a nicer result.

I’m fine with paying good price if the work is right….I just hate to not get a lil work done to it cause it’s a really stout good machine, it just needs a lil attention and upkeep to make it last a few more years…these are some of the best built machines made in my book. I love it

Just now, goosey18 said:

It runs good now and everything works but does have a few i

I’m fine with paying good price if the work is right….I just hate to not get a lil work done to it cause it’s a really stout good machine, it just needs a lil attention and upkeep to make it last a few more years…these are some of the best built machines made in my book. I love it

It’s all I need….

22 minutes ago, goosey18 said:

Here is only pic I have but get more…

0D04BD2B-84CE-44F9-AAA9-CF1BD5AA9A74.jpeg

Looks pretty solid.  Are the rear fenders busted up too or just the front?  Fenders will be your biggest expense if you want them nice.  Getting hard to find them that aren't busted.

So you're just wanting a cosmetic clean up or does it need any mechanical work? 

Were it mine, I'd strip fenders off, clean and paint frame and axles, replace any rubber that I could (fuel lines etc), probably put a new timing chain on it, grease everything and replace any wobbly bearings, and install some disc brakes. 

Then hopefully reinstall non-busted fenders.

Gas tank look good on the inside or is it rusty?  Most are full of rust.  Plastic aftermarket gas tanks are available, but a little on the pricey side.

Not too bad! 

looks all OEM — wheels, rack.

not anything missing that i can see.

headlight buckets are hard to find.

Seats can be recovered.
front fenders hard to find but Shadetree’s done great work repairing them.

do you have a service manual?

how rusty is the fuel tank?

first, on a running rig like this I usually recommend a complete service, ticking down the list in the service manual. Leave no item undone. Maybe need to replace air filter.

Easy things to do: test the overheat system (oil temp sensor) resistance, ignition system (stator, exciter coil and pulse generator resistance. Output from reg/rec. Fuel flow (pump) test. 

Not so easy: 

Check cam chain slack

descale the fuel tank using vinegar and . BBs. Clear the tank suction lines with string trimmer cord. Inspect petcock and fuel lines for cracks/leaks. Rebuild carburetor. Grease the suspension and steering.

Optional items include servicing components that are getting rarified: replace the fuel pump, rebuild the starter, rebuild brake master cylinder. Spare CDI.

i have close to $3K in this 86. The only maintenance it needs is greasing the swingarm bearings and front knuckle bearings. Possibly needs a left front drive axle and steering arm.

66835129-65A4-4552-A231-634B612A2601.jpeg

A89D3BCF-DF8F-4BF2-9005-A84B2A378250.jpeg

3C37A2BF-2434-4287-B7EE-E12588E2BAD6.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks pretty solid.  Are the rear fenders busted up too or just the front?  Fenders will be your biggest expense if you want them nice.  Getting hard to find them that aren't busted.

So you're just wanting a cosmetic clean up or does it need any mechanical work? 

Were it mine, I'd strip fenders off, clean and paint frame and axles, replace any rubber that I could (fuel lines etc), probably put a new timing chain on it, grease everything and replace any wobbly bearings, and install some disc brakes. 

Then hopefully reinstall non-busted fenders.

Gas tank look good on the inside or is it rusty?  Most are full of rust.  Plastic aftermarket gas tanks are available, but a little on the pricey side.

Rear fenders are in decent shape but front fenders are not gonna be going back on if removed for sure. One issue is most bolts and hardware are rusted and what few ive removed had to be either cut or were stripped and not sure about how hard to replace the hardware. Gas tank is actually in good shape, needs cables replaced and front brakes need complete makeover. Wiring is working but shady to say the least(it looks like). Just need a manual or something to go by because it looks like a mess on the wiring and hoses and vacuum lines.

9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Free factory service manual is available in PDF format in the toolbar at the top of the page

Thanks, it may take me a bit to get it done but it’s worth the try…

Parts are harder to find for these

start by using the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla. They will have a lot you need, like brake wheel cylinder seals and master cylinder rebuild kits. They may have cables—hit or miss. They will most likely not have master cylinder bodies or wheel cylinders.

so, having the part numbers (and model number such as carburetor Keihin QA03A) you need is most important to carry your search to fleabay. Set up searches and get notifications. Having the actual part, you’re able to compare advertising info and pictures. Many sellers ignore that 86-89 TRX350 parts are not all interchangeable.

yes changing brake fluid it pretty important—that fluid can get chunky and ruin wheel cylinders. Do you have an ATV or motorbike lift?

EE990A9D-6BAB-427B-A201-E62DD83E28F3.jpeg

8C3BAEB4-E039-44D9-857A-C06D79E30EF8.jpeg

A9E98FA2-6B61-40EA-A429-32AEF38C4F4B.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Goober said:

Parts are harder to find for these

start by using the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla. They will have a lot you need, like brake wheel cylinder seals and master cylinder rebuild kits. They may have cables—hit or miss. They will most likely not have master cylinder bodies or wheel cylinders.

so, having the part numbers (and model number such as carburetor Keihin QA03A) you need is most important to carry your search to fleabay. Set up searches and get notifications. Having the actual part, you’re able to compare advertising info and pictures. Many sellers ignore that 86-89 TRX350 parts are not all interchangeable.

yes changing brake fluid it pretty important—that fluid can get chunky and ruin wheel cylinders. Do you have an ATV or motorbike lift?

EE990A9D-6BAB-427B-A201-E62DD83E28F3.jpeg

8C3BAEB4-E039-44D9-857A-C06D79E30EF8.jpeg

A9E98FA2-6B61-40EA-A429-32AEF38C4F4B.jpeg

Thanks a lot man, this is a lot of help!! It’s aggrevating tho, getting the time 🤬😡

I might make @Goober wince at this, but I'd put some disc brakes on the front of that thing. 

@shadetree did a write up on installing discs on the front of his a few weeks ago.  They work better, and if you're having to buy new parts for your drums they will cost more than a disc conversion.

Just a thought.  Not sure if you're going at this from a purist perspective or are ok with a "resto-mod"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I might make @Goober wince at this, but I'd put some disc brakes on the front of that thing. 

@shadetree did a write up on installing discs on the front of his a few weeks ago.  They work better, and if you're having to buy new parts for your drums they will cost more than a disc conversion.

Just a thought.  Not sure if you're going at this from a purist perspective or are ok with a "resto-mod"

Is there a place where you can buy all the parts?

1 hour ago, goosey18 said:

Is there a place where you can buy all the parts?

SuperATV has the kit , they might not know it though , you need to ask for a trx300FW kit when ordering  , as they don't make a kit marked 86-89 TRX350 A or D , also ask for the 10% discount for being a member of this site --- Highlifter makes a kit also ,  but  their kit cost a lot more and they lie and tell you it is USA made  

• Like 2