Vagabondrobb

Buying parts in UK

Hi guys,

Wondering where to buy new parts for my 420 in the UK... I'm still looking for a new front propshaft and winter is coming! Any ideas? Everywhere I've found so far have been US based and charge big shipping fees. 

Cheers!!

Robb

G'Day  Robb !!!  ----  Welcome to the forum ---   @SamUK is our UK go to guy , hope to see him stop by  soon as we have not seen him lately , whilst we wait maybe we can have  some  " Tea and Cookies " !!! 

• Like 1

Hey rob, a good friend of mine over in the USA told me you need some assistance sourcing parts… I may be able to help you.

First of all, what year is your 420, any idea? If you don’t know, take a photo of the frame (vin) number and post it here, we can find out the year via that.

sam 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SamUK said:

Hey rob, a good friend of mine over in the USA told me you need some assistance sourcing parts… I may be able to help you.

First of all, what year is your 420, any idea? If you don’t know, take a photo of the frame (vin) number and post it here, we can find out the year via that.

sam 

Heeeeeeyyyyy Sam!  Glad to see you back!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SamUK said:

sam 

Hey Sam!

Cheers mate, much appreciated!! My 420 is 2015. Having a real time trying to find anything here in the UK!

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

G'Day  Robb !!!  ----  Welcome to the forum ---   @SamUK is our UK go to guy , hope to see him stop by  soon as we have not seen him lately , whilst we wait maybe we can have  some  " Tea and Cookies " !!! 

Tea I can do, but I don't know anything about these cookie things. I may be able to rustle up some Rich Teas or Mcvities Digestives however... 

1 hour ago, Vagabondrobb said:

Tea I can do, but I don't know anything about these cookie things. I may be able to rustle up some Rich Teas or Mcvities Digestives however... 

I always thought tea and cookies was a UK thing --------    We having some " fish and chips "  this evening for dinner , does that make you feel at home 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Vagabondrobb said:

Hey Sam!

Cheers mate, much appreciated!! My 420 is 2015. Having a real time trying to find anything here in the UK!

Check out jeepwm69 link and see if that’s what your after. 

I have to ask… what happened to your original shaft? 

7 hours ago, SamUK said:

How you been SamUK -----   The splines of the shaft and collar /coupler  strip out , I have had it happen on the back and front shafts of my 450s 

• Like 1

Always thought it was tea and crumpets....

Hey @SamUK good to see ya back, how's the little one doing???

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 2:00 AM, SamUK said:

As fishflies says - I'm fairly sure it's stripped. Got stuck and realised only the rear wheels were spinning. The coupler spins with the engine but the shaft only spins when the front wheels move (and 4WD engaged). So I'm pretty sure it's the splines! 

Pull your shaft and see if you need a coupler too.

I have shipped Sam parts in the past due to the astronomical cost of them over there. Shipping won’t be cheap, but would probably still be cheaper to do that than for you to source them locally.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Pull your shaft and see if you need a coupler too.

I have shipped Sam parts in the past due to the astronomical cost of them over there. Shipping won’t be cheap, but would probably still be cheaper to do that than for you to source them locally.

Cheers mate, that would be brill. 

I'm guessing its just a matter of unbolting the front axel from the chassis and yanking it back?!

Correct. Unbolt front differential (3 bolts I believe) and grab it and pull it forward (no need to remove CV’s ,wheels, or anything)

Front driveline has a spring it between it and the coupler that will compress so you can get it out 

• Like 1

well;; i figure if your coupler is OK, the ell with the rest. are we talking mechanics..?

• Like 1

Hey guys, so it's taken me a while, but finally made time to get the front prop off (got to get the flail mower out soon so will actually need 4WD). Much easier job than I thought. The splines are indeed worn, and by the feel of it likewise for the coupler. So I guess its time to get a new/old one... finally. Still cant seem to find anything in the UK (apart from paying £400-500 at the local shop to get repaired). Would be happy to pay shipping from the US for a second hand one!

Cheers!

Robb

unnamed.jpg

I did have a some messages in my inbox from members last time I looked (a couple of months ago) but it seems to have been cleared out for some reason!

On 10/26/2021 at 1:06 AM, SamUK said:

Did you sort your issue out in the end rob? 

Haha... not yet! Been pretty full on over the winter with various projects and 4WD not so high on list of priorities. I find its pretty easy to get a 420 unstuck, so I've just been manhandling it whenever i get into trouble. But its a different story when I need to start pulling the flail mower about! It weighs a ton! 

5 hours ago, Vagabondrobb said:

I did have a some messages in my inbox from members last time I looked (a couple of months ago) but it seems to have been cleared out for some reason!

Haha... not yet! Been pretty full on over the winter with various projects and 4WD not so high on list of priorities. I find its pretty easy to get a 420 unstuck, so I've just been manhandling it whenever i get into trouble. But its a different story when I need to start pulling the flail mower about! It weighs a ton! 

have you cross referenced this front drive shaft to see what all other modes may use the same part ?. some times honda parts will swap from models to models, years to years. look to see if a 450 front drive shaft will work ?, or a trx500 front drive shaft ?, if any of them will swap in ?, i bet i could locate you one !.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shadetree said:

have you cross referenced this front drive shaft to see what all other modes may use the same part ?. some times honda parts will swap from models to models, years to years. look to see if a 450 front drive shaft will work ?, or a trx500 front drive shaft ?, if any of them will swap in ?, i bet i could locate you one !.

I haven’t. You’re probably right - I will have a look and see. Think I may pop into the local atv place and ask the mechanic!

Just spoke to a couple of local (ish) agricultural/atv parts dealers and they are saying around £300 for new shaft assembly! I think I will go with the partzilla option. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

• Like 1