TrxPipUK

1992 350D Starting problems

48 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Thanks anyway. I appreciate the info 👍🏻.

You'll be pleased to hear that I installed the bearing into the clutch today 🙂 It all worked perfectly. Thankyouuu!!

good deal !, your welcome.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2020 at 9:39 AM, TrxPipUK said:

Ahh okay. So is it the 1986 the one with the black plugs in?

My 86s both have the drums with the black plugs as do my work 87s. The 86 drums should be a smaller diameter? than the 87s.

LMK if you want me to measure for you; an 86 backplate probably won’t fit the Foreman because the brake lines would be different length—either longer or shorter due to difference in diameter.  You might be able to fit the wrong hub on there but the shoes might not fit the hub properly. Good question

I’ve never had a Foreman so i don’t know if those drums used the red plugs. My 93 300 uses the red plugs.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 2:11 PM, Goober said:

My 86s both have the drums with the black plugs as do my work 87s. The 86 drums should be a smaller diameter? than the 87s.

LMK if you want me to measure for you; an 86 backplate probably won’t fit the Foreman because the brake lines would be different length—either longer or shorter due to difference in diameter.  You might be able to fit the wrong hub on there but the shoes might not fit the hub properly. Good question

I’ve never had a Foreman so i don’t know if those drums used the red plugs. My 93 300 uses the red plugs.

Ahh it's okay.. was just curious... thanks for that though man

• Like 1

Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Just finding the time to do the final push with the engine rebuild and getting the engine back in the quad. 

I'm just setting the timing, I'm quite sure it's correct as I've followed the manual, but some reassurance that it's right would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

20201122_132411.jpg

20201122_132523.jpg

20201122_132424.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Just finding the time to do the final push with the engine rebuild and getting the engine back in the quad. 

I'm just setting the timing, I'm quite sure it's correct as I've followed the manual, but some reassurance that it's right would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

20201122_132411.jpg

20201122_132523.jpg

20201122_132424.jpg

yep, looks good to me..piston on top dead center ?.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shadetree said:

yep, looks good to me..piston on top dead center ?.

I would think it's at top dead centre yeah.. isn't that what the T on the flywheel means? I just followed the manual lol

25 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

I would think it's at top dead centre yeah.. isn't that what the T on the flywheel means? I just followed the manual lol

you can get the piston on top dead center on both the compression stroke and exhaust stroke !. you want compression stroke !!.

• Like 2

in other words..cam lobes with timing marks must face down in the head when you line up the marks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

in other words..cam lobes with timing marks must face down in the head when you line up the marks.

Okay so if the cam lobes are down then this will be the compression stroke? 

So cam lobes are down, timing marks on sprocket are aligned with head, T mark on flywheel is aligned. Is that correct? 

16061424925205090822326315444194.jpg

1606142546686525610419488692592.jpg

16061425839797171723983904490004.jpg

• Like 3

It looks great Pip. It looks like you're ready to oil up the moving parts (poor a small amount of oil in the well where the cam lobes dip) and put the rocker cover on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

you can get the piston on top dead center on both the compression stroke and exhaust stroke !. you want compression stroke !!.

How do I know if it's on the compression stroke or exhaust stroke?

I've been turning it over with the cover on and the first valves to open are the intakes, and that's when the piston is just starting to come back up ??

I'll try and get a video 

When both cam lobes are facing down while the "T" mark on the flywheel is lined up like you have done the piston is positioned correctly at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke. Your timing is spot on!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, retro said:

When both cam lobes are facing down while the "T" mark on the flywheel is lined up like you have done the piston is positioned correctly at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke. Your timing is spot on!

Really? It seems all backwards haha.. 

Thankyou. I trust your knowledge. Thanks 

• Like 2

Looking good PIP  ---  you have put a lot of love into this project !!!! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Looking good PIP  ---  you have put a lot of love into this project !!!! 

Thanks man! Yeah really hoping she'll work 🤞🏻

like retro said ^^^ put some oil in the cam lobe well, top on...RUN IT !.

• Like 2

We made a thread for your 1st photo Pip.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2020 at 5:55 PM, shadetree said:

like retro said ^^^ put some oil in the cam lobe well, top on...RUN IT !.

21 hours ago, retro said:

We made a thread for your 1st photo Pip.

Ooh that would amazing to even just enter into that! 

Just waiting on some gauges so I can set the valve clearances, then I'll be able to fire her up. After that I've got a little cosmetic work to do to the plastics and such.

Not sure if I'll have it ready before the deadline for the contest in 2 weeks 😬 Fingers crossed I get the time 🙂

• Like 2

So.. I haven't had the time until today to finally mount the engine back into the frame, now that it's mounted up I need to check the valve clearances. How do I go about doing this? Do I need to get the engine at top dead center for this or what? Any guidance would be awesome! 

Here's a lil pic for the pic pervs lol.. will be more to come

Thanks 

20201212_155227.jpg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

I need to check the valve clearances. How do I go about doing this? Do I need to get the engine at top dead center for this or what? Any guidance would be awesome! 

Yes the engine needs to be at top-dead-center but on the compression stroke. Make sure the mark is perfectly lined up and that the piston is at TDC.

Intake > Compression > Ignition > Exhaust 

You can have the piston at the top on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke just make sure it's on the compression stroke.

Basically... if you saw the intake valve close just before getting TDC... you got it!

If you just saw the exhaust close it would be wrong.

Service manual does explain this fairly well if you would like a more precise explanation.

Good luck with it!

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 3

@TrxPipUK

On November 23, 2020 at 10:53 AM, retro said:

the timing was already spoken about, but what about the missing front swing arm boot ? 

• Like 2

^^^^ What oh400ex & _Wilson_™ said Pip ^^^^

Looking good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

@TrxPipUK

the timing was already spoken about, but what about the missing front swing arm boot ? 

Yes I realised it wasn't on so I just removed that drive shaft along side the engine then put the boot on then put the shaft back on. It has one on now. Thanks 🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Yes the engine needs to be at top-dead-center but on the compression stroke. Make sure the mark is perfectly lined up and that the piston is at TDC.

Intake > Compression > Ignition > Exhaust 

You can have the piston at the top on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke just make sure it's on the compression stroke.

Basically... if you saw the intake valve close just before getting TDC... you got it!

If you just saw the exhaust close it would be wrong.

Service manual does explain this fairly well if you would like a more precise explanation.

Good luck with it!

Okay brilliant, thanks! 

So then at TDC use the feeler gauge between the top of the valve stem and tappet and adjust as necessary. Right?

Thanks once again for the help!