TrxPipUK

1992 350D Starting problems

Hi guys. Just been looking at some thread lock and there seems to be A LOT of different types. Do I need a specific type to use in bottom of the engine? How strong does it need to be and does it need to be heat resistant? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, TrxPipUK said:

Hi guys. Just been looking at some thread lock and there seems to be A LOT of different types. Do I need a specific type to use in bottom of the engine? How strong does it need to be and does it need to be heat resistant? 

Thanks 

i don't use it anywhere on my engines, but i can tell you red is the strongest, blue is pretty common.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Thanks 

Generally only specific bolts/nuts get threadlocker during assembly. For instance, cam sprocket bolts call for it, shifter ratcheting assembly bolts on the end of the shift drum may benefit from it, etc. It is shown in the service manual where a threadlocker may be needed along with the recommended strength/type.The case bolts don't need any. In fact I lubricate every bolt/nut that does not require a threadlocker to insure that the motor can be disassembled in the future without a struggle.

Just don't make a mistake and use Red threadlocker on a fastener that don't require Red, cause those will not come back apart unless they are heated. Generally blue is sufficient, although on occasion Red can be used to solve a problem for ya. For instance, its my habit to use red threadlocker when I press new valve guides into aluminum heads to guarantee that they do not ever loosen. In most cases that isn't necessary.... but covers my butt on the one-out-of-a-hundred guides that do end up loosening up over time at high RPMs. In those cases heating the head in an oven is required to remove them.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. That's helped me out a lot. I think I'll just put some blue thread lock on the bolts it says in the manual. Will there be an issue with temperature? 

Thanks 

Just now, TrxPipUK said:

Thanks guys. That's helped me out a lot. I think I'll just put some blue thread lock on the bolts it says in the manual. Will there be an issue with temperature? 

Thanks 

other than the fan never coming on ?, no..let it rip !.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Am I missing something here? Why does this hole have a thread in it but it's only the relief valve from the oil pump up against it? Have I missed something?

20200425_150855.jpg

20200425_150856.jpg

20200425_154606.jpg

20200425_154625.jpg

20200425_145513.jpg

2 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Am I missing something here? Why does this hole have a thread in it but it's only the relief valve from the oil pump up against it? Have I missed something?

20200425_150855.jpg

20200425_150856.jpg

20200425_154606.jpg

20200425_154625.jpg

20200425_145513.jpg

it does not get used, nothing goes in that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

it does not get used, nothing goes in that.

Ah okay. Just wanted to check. Thanks man 

12 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Ah okay. Just wanted to check. Thanks man 

yw. i'm working on getting my hands on another trx350D foreman 4x4, '87 model, if it goes through ?, i'll be doing this all over again..lol.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, shadetree said:

yw. i'm working on getting my hands on another trx350D foreman 4x4, '87 model, if it goes through ?, i'll be doing this all over again..lol.

Oh sweet! I do love seeing your builds and how they turn out 😍. Hopefully I'll get another 350D one day and get her REAL smart lol.

• Like 1

How do you go about getting the torque on these clutch nuts? Do you just whizz em up with the impact driver? Or jam the gears up and use a torque wrench? 

Thanks 

20200425_152835.jpg

4 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

How do you go about getting the torque on these clutch nuts? Do you just whizz em up with the impact driver? Or jam the gears up and use a torque wrench? 

Thanks 

20200425_152835.jpg

i start them by hand, then tighten them with my ratchet down good and snug, i don't use torque wrenches ( yes..i know the book tells ya too !..lol ), once i get them pretty snug, i jam a screw driver blade in between its gear and the primary gear teeth, then give each bolt a good tighten, thats how i do it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

How do you go about getting the torque on these clutch nuts?

If you are talking about the large nut that was staked when you took it apart, that one has to be torqued down pretty tight. The spec is in the manual. You can use an old leather glove to jam between the gears to assist ya in holding the clutch basket still. Or you can burp the nut tight with an Impact if you're good with your gun.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Think I might try retros method with the leather glove. Thanks:)

• Like 2

So got the big nut torqued up to 110nm as the manual says. Had to tighten up the springs with some washers on the bolts so that the basket would hold still. Seemed to work. Should I re-stake the nut as well?

15879928702271051595696305562022.jpg

• Like 1

So, just went to pick up the centrifugal clutch and it all fell apart 🤦‍♂️... Just wondering if someone could help me with this spring? Am I right in thinking it goes round the one way clutch? The spring looks pretty out of shape though? 

Any help would be amazing. Cheers:)

15879955762268467889309479635082.jpg

15879956139831461291173565442498.jpg

15879956817277236518051989698383.jpg

39 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

So, just went to pick up the centrifugal clutch and it all fell apart 🤦‍♂️... Just wondering if someone could help me with this spring? Am I right in thinking it goes round the one way clutch? The spring looks pretty out of shape though? 

Any help would be amazing. Cheers:)

15879955762268467889309479635082.jpg

15879956139831461291173565442498.jpg

15879956817277236518051989698383.jpg

that spring can not be re-used !!, now you have to HOPEFULLY ?? ( discontinued from honda ) find another one-way bearing. how did the bearing fall out, ruin the spring, but none of the spragg bearings  not fall out ???..lol. YES..ITS VERY IMPORTANT WHICH WAY THOSE BEARINGS ARE FACING ONCE INSIDE THE CAGE !.

• Like 1

Would it not be possible to use another spring with the same dimensions? Already found one online that is pretty identical. 

@shadetreeWhat happened was the bearing fell out, the spring broke and all the little spragg bearings went everywhere lol. Luckily I managed to find them again some how. 

Edited by TrxPipUK

Unfortunately that one is junk Pip.

• Like 1

Looks like Caltric makes an aftermarket unit.  Caltric is mostly junk, but they do have a couple of useable items (their TRX300FW ring and pinion gears are good, but bearings that come with them are junk). 

I don't think that bearing would be something I'd way to buy from Caltric unless it was a last resort.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Clutch-Bearing-for-Honda-91101-Ha7-674-91101-Ha7-671-91101-Ha7-672/283413450374?hash=item41fcc20e86:g:XnwAAOSwkCZchtat

Or you could buy a used one, but you'd have to hope the bearing was in good shape....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-TRX-350D-TRX350D-Fourtrax-Foreman-9544-Centrifugal-Clutch/372863455203?hash=item56d064cfe3:g:NokAAOSwvvJd5ulG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retro said:

Unfortunately that one is junk Pip.

So I can't replace the spring? Out of curiosity, why not? Thanks 

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks like Caltric makes an aftermarket unit.  Caltric is mostly junk, but they do have a couple of useable items (their TRX300FW ring and pinion gears are good, but bearings that come with them are junk). 

I don't think that bearing would be something I'd way to buy from Caltric unless it was a last resort.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Clutch-Bearing-for-Honda-91101-Ha7-674-91101-Ha7-671-91101-Ha7-672/283413450374?hash=item41fcc20e86:g:XnwAAOSwkCZchtat

Or you could buy a used one, but you'd have to hope the bearing was in good shape....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-TRX-350D-TRX350D-Fourtrax-Foreman-9544-Centrifugal-Clutch/372863455203?hash=item56d064cfe3:g:NokAAOSwvvJd5ulG

Thanks Jeep! I'll check out eBay and see what I can find over this side of the pond 🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

because the spring is tension spec'd, want to argue or question our answers ?, or do you want to fix it your way ?..lol.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Would it not be possible to use another spring with the same dimensions? Already found one online that is pretty identical. 

@shadetreeWhat happened was the bearing fell out, the spring broke and all the little spragg bearings went everywhere lol. Luckily I managed to find them again some how. 

and you know for a fact are the bearings were installed correctly back in the cage ?, THEY HAVE TO BE INSTALLED FACING THE CORRECT WAY !.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Well, you can replace that spring if you find an identical length & tensioned one.... it will work. But I doubt that you'll find an exact match unless you take one out of a Honda one-way clutch. So ya may as well buy a used clutch bearing and install it. 🙂

• Like 2