TrxPipUK

1992 350D Starting problems

3 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Anyone know what size bearings I need for the front wheels? Had to destroy mine to get them out. 

according to partzilla's fich --- > # 24 shows to be 30x54x24 ---> https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1989/trx350d-a/knuckle . pretty sure these wheel bearings are a double roll bearing , or was ?..lol.

• Like 2

don't use partzilla to order from !!!..not unless you want to die b4 the parts arrive ?!..lol.

• Like 2

Anyone got any tips on how to get the wheel bearings and seals out? Tried prying them out with a screwdriver but they won't budge. 

20200804_175412.jpg

20200804_175417.jpg

2 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Anyone got any tips on how to get the wheel bearings and seals out? Tried prying them out with a screwdriver but they won't budge. 

20200804_175412.jpg

20200804_175417.jpg

you have to pull the outside dust seal, then remove the large cir-clip !..lol. it presses out the front side.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shadetree said:

noooo..they just dont press into place ?..NOT UNTIL YOU REMOVE THE CIR-CLIP UNDER THE FRONT DUST SEAL !..LOL. then it presses out the front side.

Yeah yeah. I was referring to the seals.  Thus the seal puller.

But you are correct, he's gonna need to remove the circlip and press the bearing out after he pries the seals out.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Managed to get them out. Punched them out with a screwdriver and hammer 👍🏻. Is that lip on the inside of the knuckle meant to be left in? Can't figure out if it's part of the knuckle or not?

20200804_202217.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

that lip in the bottom ? yes that's part of the knuckle. 

Great, good to know. Thanks man! 🙂

• Like 1

Another question lol... Is this seal on the front drum replaceable? Can't see how it would come off, looks to be part of the drum itself? 

20200804_215734.jpg

20200804_215737.jpg

20200804_215742.jpg

your welcome! bro. 

the drum to backing plate seal ? yes... it's replaceable .... I've never done one myself ... shade, or jeep is who i would ask. although some say leave them off ... 

• Like 1

That drum seal is no longer available from Honda , it is meant to keep water out the drum , yours only fits the 350d and the 86 TRX250A , I have a stack of 250 front hubs ,  but you are on the other side of that pond ----guess your only option if you want to replace it would be to find a used drum 

• Like 2

no, not from honda, but plenty of (nos) listed on ebay.... I'd check there, personaly, for mine ... I'd leave them off. unless you keep the surface ... between the seal and backing plate lubed with grease... that's the way they have a long life ... the grease recommended is  nlgi no. 3 multipurpose grease, but I'd go with bel-ray water proof, IMO,  honda should have went with disk brake .... on those older models.

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

That drum seal is no longer available from Honda , it is meant to keep water out the drum , yours only fits the 350d and the 86 TRX250A , I have a stack of 250 front hubs ,  but you are on the other side of that pond ----guess your only option if you want to replace it would be to find a used drum 

58 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

no, not from honda, but plenty of (nos) listed on ebay.... I'd check there, personaly, for mine ... I'd leave them off. unless you keep the surface ... between the seal and backing plate lubed with grease... that's the way they have a long life ... the grease recommended is  nlgi no. 3 multipurpose grease, but I'd go with bel-ray water proof, IMO,  honda should have went with disk brake .... on those older models.

Thankyou both, good to know they are removable. I've had a look on eBay and found these aftermarket seals... I'll order them up and see if they're right? 

@_Wilson_™ why do you keep the seals off? Just curious? And yes disk breaks would have been great lol...

Screenshot_20200805-134042_eBay.jpg

Edited by TrxPipUK
  • Like 1

yes that brake drum seal is replaceable, but they are discontinued from honda, used or aftermarket is all that you can do.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Thanks guys! Managed to get them out. Punched them out with a screwdriver and hammer 👍🏻. Is that lip on the inside of the knuckle meant to be left in? Can't figure out if it's part of the knuckle or not?

20200804_202217.jpg

and was that cir-clip under the front dust seal like i said ?. and i sure hope you found new or used seals to replace the old dust seals ?...they are discontinued from honda.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, shadetree said:

yes that brake drum seal is replaceable, but they are discontinued from honda, used or aftermarket is all that you can do.

Great, well I think I've found some aftermarket ones.. Any tips on getting the old seal off?? 

9 minutes ago, shadetree said:

and was that cir-clip under the front dust seal like i said ?. and i sure hope you found new or used seals to replace the old dust seals ?...they are discontinued from honda.

Yes that circlip was under the front dust seal 🙂 thanks for that, took a few attempts to get the thing out lol... 

For the seals I'm gonna have to get all balls ones that come with the bearings... it's not the best but seems to be the only option annoyingly... but oh well 

Brake drum, backing plate and right side knuckle (still got the left side to do) all cleaned up and painted nicely.

Here's some shiny pics for you boys lol

20200730_174009.jpg

20200805_174320.jpg

20200804_175412.jpg

20200804_175417.jpg

20200805_174333.jpg

20200805_174356.jpg

20200805_174406.jpg

20200805_174352.jpg

while you have the outer part of the knuckle off, now is the time to service the tappered bearings that sit down in the top, and bottom of the knuckle. they also have seals in them, they help with the steering. i always pull them out, clean, re-pack with fresh grease when i tear these down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

while you have the outer part of the knuckle off, now is the time to service the tappered bearings that sit down in the top, and bottom of the knuckle. they also have seals in them, they help with the steering. i always pull them out, clean, re-pack with fresh grease when i tear these down.

Thanks man I'll check em out. Was definitely gonna pack some more grease in them .... maybe I'll take them out and clean them properly now though lol . Thanks