TrxPipUK

1992 350D Starting problems

4 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Hi all.

Wondering if anyone knows

if these would would work for 350D front brake drums? Need something to plug up the holes and this is all I can find.

Tia

Screenshot_20200813-114259_eBay.jpg

20200816_151438.jpg

nope, wont fit..these drums use a larger than normal plug.

• Like 1

Make a plug?

It is just silicone after all so you can form your own.

I don't have any pictures on hand but you can use cornstarch to coat your part and hands and just plop a large glob of 100% silicone down on the area. Let it cure slightly and then push it into the gaps and "mushroom" it on the back side by pushing the part that came through the hole flat. Give it overnight to fully cure then take out your new plug and clean any cornstarch residue off. Once you reinstall it oiled, the seal will be like new again.

You can use painter tape coated in corn starch to form really rough mold if you need something to grab onto as well. Or you can embed something in the silicone.

Maybe just easier to partzilla/bikebandit and get the OEM replacement but if you already have some 100% on hand it may be an appropriate fix.

Good luck with it!

oh400ex

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Make a plug?

It is just silicone after all so you can form your own.

I don't have any pictures on hand but you can use cornstarch to coat your part and hands and just plop a large glob of 100% silicone down on the area. Let it cure slightly and then push it into the gaps and "mushroom" it on the back side by pushing the part that came through the hole flat. Give it overnight to fully cure then take out your new plug and clean any cornstarch residue off. Once you reinstall it oiled, the seal will be like new again.

You can use painter tape coated in corn starch to form really rough mold if you need something to grab onto as well. Or you can embed something in the silicone.

Maybe just easier to partzilla/bikebandit and get the OEM replacement but if you already have some 100% on hand it may be an appropriate fix.

Good luck with it!

oh400ex

Thanks man I might give that a go. Thanks for the suggestion. Have you done this yourself? 

Hi all.. 

So the place I was gonna get the replacement centrifugal clutch one way bearing from has said it's now not possible to just provide me with the bearing. They offered me the whole clutch but for a price of just under £150 ($190) and I don't really have that money to spend on it:( . I'm sure shipping from the States won't even be that much lol.

I'm wondering if anyone on here would be able to help me? I know shade offered to help me out which is amazing!... not sure if that's still available @shadetree? (No problem if not:) ) If anybody has a good working centrifugal clutch bearing could you give me a pm on here?

Thanks ever so much!

Pip

22 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Hi all.. 

So the place I was gonna get the replacement centrifugal clutch one way bearing from has said it's now not possible to just provide me with the bearing. They offered me the whole clutch but for a price of just under £150 ($190) and I don't really have that money to spend on it:( . I'm sure shipping from the States won't even be that much lol.

I'm wondering if anyone on here would be able to help me? I know shade offered to help me out which is amazing!... not sure if that's still available @shadetree? (No problem if not:) ) If anybody has a good working centrifugal clutch bearing could you give me a pm on here?

Thanks ever so much!

Pip

pretty sure i have a one-way clutch bearing stashed some where in my '' honey hole '' stash ?..i will have to locate it, i will touch base with ya in a PM.

• Like 2

i also think i have some drum plugs some where ?, will toss those in the box as well when i locate this clutch bearing :-).

• Like 2

ok, found them !, i will send both plug sizes just incase i am wrong on the size ? ( hey..even pro's make mistakes !..lol ).

IMG_1250.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

ok, found them !, i will send both plug sizes just incase i am wrong on the size ? ( hey..even pro's make mistakes !..lol ).

IMG_1250.JPG

Man you are incredibly generous! Can't thank you enough for this. I've sent you a pm back 🙂

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Man you are incredibly generous! Can't thank you enough for this. I've sent you a pm back 🙂

least i can do to keep a classic on the trails !..lol. some day, some where, some one, will come to my rescue !..lol.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, shadetree said:

least i can do to keep a classic on the trails !..lol. some day, some where, some one, will come to my rescue !..lol.

Can't thank you enough seriously... lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Thanks man I might give that a go. Thanks for the suggestion. Have you done this yourself? 

Yes. It's over an hour to the closest parts store for me so we tend to get creative.

It works really well if done correctly but it looks like you won't need it this time anyway. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

this ... thread reminds of .... 

https://atvhonda.com/forum/21-pay-it-forward/

if your trying to tell me i should post in that section ?, then you are a day late, dollar short !.lol. i was waiting to see if i could locate it , get it mailed off before i posted in that section :-).

• Like 2

no, no..... i didn't know you had plans of posting... lol ... but glad to see  this thread pushed up for others to see :-) you go way out of you way to help other members inculuding me, thank you! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

Pip,

I must say, it looks like you've done a great job thus far. It read the entire thread start to finish the other day and half way though i'm saying to myself, just split the cases, you won't regret it when you see whats in there. And now I bet you're glad you did. Great job cleaning up without a parts washer as well. I did the same thing a few weeks ago without a parts washer. I used starter fluid and actual aerosol parts washer. Both worked fine imo.

Since you're on the home stretch, a little advice: Take your time, be patient with the rings and make sure you have the timing set correctly.

Good luck can't wait to see the first start up video.

-Sled.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2020 at 9:13 PM, sled_22 said:

Pip,

I must say, it looks like you've done a great job thus far. It read the entire thread start to finish the other day and half way though i'm saying to myself, just split the cases, you won't regret it when you see whats in there. And now I bet you're glad you did. Great job cleaning up without a parts washer as well. I did the same thing a few weeks ago without a parts washer. I used starter fluid and actual aerosol parts washer. Both worked fine imo.

Since you're on the home stretch, a little advice: Take your time, be patient with the rings and make sure you have the timing set correctly.

Good luck can't wait to see the first start up video.

-Sled.

Thanks man, appreciate your words there! Yes, I'm so glad I split the cases and did it properly! It won't always be a worry at the back of my mind now lol, it did clean up pretty good as well yes. 

Thanks for that advice there, I'll make sure I double check and triple check the timing when I get to that 🙂

Pip

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Thanks man, appreciate your words there! Yes, I'm so glad I split the cases and did it properly! It won't always be a worry at the back of my mind now lol, it did clean up pretty good as well yes. 

Thanks for that advice there, I'll make sure I double check and triple check the timing when I get to that 🙂

Pip

any word on the where abouts of your bearing and plugs ?.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

Last word was the parts were in a sea can going thru the Bermuda Triangle at 17 knots  heading to customs / quarantine in the UK , LOL --- I am going to guess 45 days to get there 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Last word was the parts were in a sea can going thru the Bermuda Triangle at 17 knots  heading to customs / quarantine in the UK , LOL --- I am going to guess 45 days to get there 

ooochh !..lol.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, shadetree said:

Been checking the tracking every day lol. Looks like it's just about to leave you guys and head off over the pond 🙂

20200822_122856.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all wondering if one of you guys could help me here... I'm re-assembling the the front brakes and not sure which way around things go? The manual says assemble with the cut out at the bottom. But I can't see any sort of "cut out" on my backing plate. Also, where does that U section that sticks out the back go? Towards the front or the back? 

Thanks 

20200824_144603.jpg

20200824_144325.jpg

20200824_144413.jpg

20200824_145416.jpg

that's the front left backing plate panel  ... the u holds the brake line from the front wheel cylinder, and the vent line also goes to the front    there should be a nipple right to the back side of the wheel cylinder .. the back wheel cylinder should have the bleeder screw ... I'm thinking that cut out is for water drainage .. and that 1st pic...that a twig .. lol not the vent line ... lol

these pics are from shades 86 build ... so the credit goes to him! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

that's the front left backing plate panel  ... the u holds the brake line from the front wheel cylinder, and the vent line also goes to the front    there should be a nipple right to the back side of the wheel cylinder .. the back wheel cylinder should have the bleeder screw ... I'm thinking that cut out is for water drainage .. and that 1st pic...that a twig .. lol not the vent line ... lol

these pics are from shades 86 build ... so the credit goes to him! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for that @_Wilson_™. That's just what I needed, perfect. 

(Thanks @shadetree for the pics lol) 

• Like 2

your welcome. in case ya get the plates mixed up ? ( not sure why ya did not take pics..BEFORE you tore them down ? ), the plates have the letters R and L stamped on the back side. once you see this, then the wheel cylinders will only mount to the plate in the right hole, reason: the mounting holes, breather vent line tube will only fit in the plate in the correct spot, as well as the bolt holes to the wheel cylinder.

• Like 3