TrxPipUK

1992 350D Starting problems

here is what a good cam chain and a stretched cam chain looks like ?, course you wont be able to tell this much until you have both side by side huh ?..lol.

bad timing chain, '86 trx350 fourtrax 4x4 002.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

here is a pic of a stretched cam chain.

to close, strecthed cam chain.JPG

What should the tensioner look like if it isn't stretched?

7 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

What should the tensioner look like if it isn't stretched?

there should be a about 5/8 to 3/4 gap between the underside of the tensioner to cylinder with the tensioner fully extended, which it should already be when you pull it out of the cylinder.

23 hours ago, shadetree said:

here's how to tell if the cam chain is bad ?. remove the two bolts from the tensioner, pull it out from the cylinder, if the cam chain is too far stretched ?, you wont fill much resistance on the tensioner when you go to pull it out, now try to push it back into the cylinder, it should bottom out before the tensioner comes close to the cylinder, your looking for anywhere between 5/8-3/4 inch gap before it reaches cylinder. if the tensioner goes all the way to the cylinder bolt holes with ease ?, then your cam chain is too far stretched, and needs to be replaced.

So remove the bolts and push it in by hand? How about when the bolts are in? I'm guessing they should be in all the way? 

11 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

So remove the bolts and push it in by hand? How about when the bolts are in? I'm guessing they should be in all the way? 

do I got to draw you a step by step pic ?..lol. you seen the pic I posted ^^^^ ..right ??. if that distance BETWEEN THE BOTTOM OF ADJUSTER ,and the cylinder is not at least 5/8 to 3/4 ?, then the cam chain is stretched. by this, I mean when you unbolt the adjuster, ease it out of the cylinder hole, it will already be pushed out to full position, so when you go to stab it back in like your going to bolt it in ?, that that bottom distance is anything  like that pic ^^^^^ I posted ?, then this means the cam chain needs to be replaced. when the cam chain is new ?, you will have a larger gap between the bottom of the adjuster and cylinder bolt hole on cylinder.

• Like 1

the cam chain tensioner is auto. what this means is, when the chain stretches ?, the plunger slides out on its own from the internal spring, this forces it out, and into the cam chain guide that rest just inside the cylinder, and this takes up the slack on the chain as it stretches. when you go to install a new chain, you will need to remove the small bolt off the end of the adjuster, reach inside it with a tiny screw driver, turn it, it will draw the ram ( plunger ) back in, to allow you to bolt it back to the cylinder.

• Like 1

Thanks shade haha. Sorry for the stupid questions lol

Went and checked the tensioner earlier today and found out I more than definitely need a new cam chain lol. 

Here's a pic

20191228_154651.jpg

2 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Thanks shade haha. Sorry for the stupid questions lol

Went and checked the tensioner earlier today and found out I more than definitely need a new cam chain lol. 

Here's a pic

20191228_154651.jpg

yep, you need a new cam chain. plan on a new clutch cover gasket as well. tube of yamabond to seal rocker box. with a stretched cam chain ?, your timing will be off big time !.

• Like 1

So I've had a look for cam chains and here's what I've found. Any opinion on what looks best or what you would suggest?

Screenshot_20191231-123559_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20191231-120310_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20191231-115536_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20191231-120042_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20191231-120048_eBay.jpg

for the record, this chain ^^^ ?, is the very same seller and chain I put in this '88 trx350D foreman 4x4 project I am restoring.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shadetree said:

So you a D.I.D chain would be the best? One of the chains I posted a picture of is D.I.D? 

Found this as well.. what are the specifics for this quads cam chain? Does it just have to be 114 links or are there other measurements?

https://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/buy/DID-DID-Cam-Chain-(endless)---219FTH---114-links/219FTH-114.AC4#eq1

Screenshot_20191231-223209_Chrome.jpg

43 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

So you a D.I.D chain would be the best? One of the chains I posted a picture of is D.I.D? 

Found this as well.. what are the specifics for this quads cam chain? Does it just have to be 114 links or are there other measurements?

https://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/buy/DID-DID-Cam-Chain-(endless)---219FTH---114-links/219FTH-114.AC4#eq1

Screenshot_20191231-223209_Chrome.jpg

the DID cam chain I linked is the correct chain, do you want a fake ?, or ??. why are you questioning my advice ?..I dont get it. if you looked at your link of that DID chain, and the one I linked, see the difference in the box letters ?. do as you wish bro, your money.

12 hours ago, shadetree said:

the DID cam chain I linked is the correct chain, do you want a fake ?, or ??. why are you questioning my advice ?..I dont get it. if you looked at your link of that DID chain, and the one I linked, see the difference in the box letters ?. do as you wish bro, your money.

No I don't mean to come across like I'm questioning your advice, your advice is extremely appreciated! 

I'm just trying to see if I can get a D.I.D chain from the UK. I've messaged the seller on eBay for the chain you posted to see if he can ship across the pond. Hopefully he can 🙂

2 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

No I don't mean to come across like I'm questioning your advice, your advice is extremely appreciated! 

I'm just trying to see if I can get a D.I.D chain from the UK. I've messaged the seller on eBay for the chain you posted to see if he can ship across the pond. Hopefully he can 🙂

my aplgy, bro, i'm not used to members being over on the other side !..lol.. as long as it says D.I.D. on the box ?, and the seller has a good feed back ?, then sure..jump on it, JUST BE AWARE OF FAKES OUT THERE !.

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

my aplgy, bro, i'm not used to members being over on the other side !..lol.. as long as it says D.I.D. on the box ?, and the seller has a good feed back ?, then sure..jump on it, JUST BE AWARE OF FAKES OUT THERE !.

No worries haha, just a miss understanding man 🙂

So if its 114 links it'll work? I'm still new to the world of timing chains... lol

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

So if its 114 links it'll work? I'm still new to the world of timing chains... lol

6 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

just make sure it has D.I.D. on the box , and for your model/year/make ?, and you should be golden !. if the box is not yellow, black, red ?, then its a fake !.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, shadetree said:

just make sure it has D.I.D. on the box , and for your model/year/make ?, and you should be golden !. if the box is not yellow, black, red ?, then its a fake !.

Great thanks shade! I'll go have a look about. 

Thanks man 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrxPipUK said:

Great thanks shade! I'll go have a look about. 

Thanks man 🙂

don't forget about the right side, clutch cover gasket !, and you will need a tube of yamabond or hondabond...DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF RTV SEALANT ...EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shadetree said:

don't forget about the right side, clutch cover gasket !, and you will need a tube of yamabond or hondabond...DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF RTV SEALANT ...EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Yes I'll  be getting a right side gasket.

Would this stuff be suitable? It says honda bond? 

Screenshot_20200102-163041_eBay.jpg

1 hour ago, TrxPipUK said:

never seen that in black ?, most semi-drying gasket sealer we use over here is gray. as long as it never fully cures ?, it will work.

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

never seen that in black ?, most semi-drying gasket sealer we use over here is gray. as long as it never fully cures ?, it will work.

Just looked into it and it says something about RTV. So that's a no lol. 

Why is RTV bad? 

Thanks 

Screenshot_20200103-150006_eBay.jpg

3 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

See if you can find Three Bond 1184.  It's the grey Three Bond equivalent of Hondabond.

• Like 1