TrxPipUK

1992 350D Starting problems

Yes, you want the HT. I need to catch up on this thread but if your going after the timing chain make sure to check the timing as soon as the head cover is removed. You want to verify it was/is out of time even though the chain needs replaced.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

Yes, you want the HT. I need to catch up on this thread but if your going after the timing chain make sure to check the timing as soon as the head cover is removed. You want to verify it was/is out of time even though the chain needs replaced.

Okay great so I'll order some of that Hondabond 🙂 .

Yes I'll check the timing before taking the chain out. I was gonna look at the valves as well? Is it worth doing that? 

Thanks guys

On 1/3/2020 at 3:07 PM, TrxPipUK said:

Okay great so I'll order some of that Hondabond 🙂 .

Yes I'll check the timing before taking the chain out. I was gonna look at the valves as well? Is it worth doing that? 

Thanks guys

as far as checking the valves ?, well, you will need to remove the head, if ya do this ?, then you will need a head gasket, or a can of copper spray to put it all back together. normally when I tear a top end down , I buy a top end gasket kit.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 4:07 PM, TrxPipUK said:

I was gonna look at the valves as well? Is it worth doing that?

Yeah make sure all four valves close completely in case one or more of them are stuck or bent. Also make a note of the valve lash when you open it up. If lash was excessive on any of the valves remove and inspect the end of the adjuster screws and valve stem tips for peening damage or excessive wear. See the attachments for an example where the owner never once adjusted valves.

hammered2.pnghammered1.png

• Like 1

Okay awesome! So I guess I'd have to take the timing chain out anyway to get to the valves?

Thanks guys 

• Like 1

Just back out the adjuster screws so you can inspect the top of the valve stems after you have checked the valve clearances. Rotate the motor slowly while you watch the valves open and make sure each one closes completely. Then check the timing.... You can do all of that before ya take the chain off.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, retro said:

Just back out the adjuster screws so you can inspect the top of the valve stems after you have checked the valve clearances. Rotate the motor slowly while you watch the valves open and make sure each one closes completely. Then check the timing.... You can do all of that before ya take the chain off.

Ah okay awesome. Thanks 🙂

Hi guys. I'm out not with my quad at the moment and I'm getting a compression tester. What size thread is the spark plug? Could anyone tell me? I think I remember it being 12mm but not 100% sure. 

Thanks 

12 minutes ago, retro said:

12mm sounds right to me.

I'll try get a kit with a 12mm adapter on. Thanks 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, F250 guy said:

OTC makes a great compression tester kit. This is the link to it, but I'd get your timing straight first if you haven't done so. Hate to do a compression test and drop a valve. 

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5606-Compression-Tester-Kit/dp/B000R5CPAQ

Ah great thanks, keep meaning to get a compression tester to do a test before doing the timing. But you suggest getting the timing sorted before the compression test? 

5 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Ah great thanks, keep meaning to get a compression tester to do a test before doing the timing. But you suggest getting the timing sorted before the compression test? 

Yea I don't remember if that is an inerferance engine or non inerferance, so better to be safe and find out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

He has already turned the motor over so if it did jump time the damage is already done. The compression test will help confirm things.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

He has already turned the motor over so if it did jump time the damage is already done. The compression test will help confirm things.

Thanks retro. So I might as well do the compression test if I've already turned it over? 

3 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Thanks retro. So I might as well do the compression test if I've already turned it over? 

I was trying to help you cause I wasn't sure it was or wasn't, and I didn't want ya to ruin it.

• Like 1

Yes, do the compression test since it's already been turned over. If the compression is low, tappets loose while on TDC and the timing is found to be off a tooth is about guarantees one of the valves are bent from kissing the piston. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 7:06 PM, toodeep said:

Yes, do the compression test since it's already been turned over. If the compression is low, tappets loose while on TDC and the timing is found to be off a tooth is about guarantees one of the valves are bent from kissing the piston. 

So I've done a compression test and the results didn't look to promising.... I got a result of 50psi. I'm yet to check the timing but I guess it's probably a the valves or piston rings? 

Thanks 

Did you hold the throttle wide open when doing the compression test , it will give a different reading if you don't ----- squirt some engine oil into the spark plug hole and do the test again , if the compression  goes up with oil in the cylinder then it is the rings , if not then it is the valves 

• Like 3

Ah I think I see where I've gone wrong lol... my carb isn't on the bike. So the carb needs to be on to hold pressure in the cylinder? 

What does the oil do? Does it create a seal between the piston and the cylinder? 

8 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

So I've done a compression test and the results didn't look to promising.... I got a result of 50psi. I'm yet to check the timing but I guess it's probably a the valves or piston rings? 

Thanks 

Was that cold or warmed up? You gotta have it warmed up so everything will be tight when ya do it. Try warming it up real good and reporting back. 😁

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

Was that cold or warmed up? You gotta have it warmed up so everything will be tight when ya do it. Try warming it up real good and reporting back. 😁

It was cold. The bike doesn't run lol... so I can't get it warmed up. That's why I'm doing this compression test to figure out what's up with it. I know the timing is out for sure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

It was cold. The bike doesn't run lol... so I can't get it warmed up. That's why I'm doing this compression test to figure out what's up with it. I know the timing is out for sure.

Was trying to help.

• Like 1