gwtx

Another ES Shift Problem

2008 Rancher 420 ES,,FE(I think)

The problem has been coming on for about a month, although it never has shifted perfectly. Never could "wind it up" in the gears before up shifting. Always had to back off on the throttle and hit the button at the precise time to make it work consistently.

I can't remember when for sure, but I think I replaced the shift motor a couple of years ago, maybe longer. Gray hair has a way of messin with memory :). Anyway it has gotten to where I have to "short shift" to get it to shift.

Scenario: I get on it in the shed, crank up, and back out, shift to 1st, give it a little throttle and it will usually shift to 2nd as long as I only give it a "little gas". I actually barely get it moving in 1st, shift to 2nd, and so on to 4th which is normally as far as I go. It will shift to 5th, but I don't use it much. Usually goes ok for the first two or three times,, until it warms up, then it gets where it doesn't want to go to 3rd,,"dashed" line comes on and blinks, and I shut it off, restart, and up until recently it would be ok for another shift sequence or two. I ride at night with the lights off, so I don't see the instrument panel all the time, but , I have seen a couple of codes starting with 4++  and 5++, but most of the time it just blinks whatever gear it is stuck in. Last couple of nights I've had to restart a dozen times or more while riding my "hog route". I switched to to Rotella T5 sometime back, and it seemed to help for a while. It is kept inside a shed which keeps it dry unless we have a hurricane. I ride it every day, and it is all short hops to the barn or pastures etc. Also ride it every night in search of hogs destroying the property.  I'm 76 yrs old and don't enjoy working on "stuff" much anymore,,so I treat it gentle,,but do a brief WOT once in a while. The bike runs great. My plan to start with is to pull the shift motor, check it and service it (as per the info online,,thanks),,,and go with what ever suggestions I may get here and the other honda forums.  Thanks to all who are willing to share their knowledge and experience. Special thanks to "toodeep" who has bailed me out a time or two in the past.  Much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum  , always hear a good hot battery and clean , tight electrical connections are the first step on a ES in distress 

• Like 1

gwtx, welcome to the forum.  We have a number of seasoned citizens here including me.  There was a post made to properly prep an ES system that I will give you a link to.  Not sure if it will solve all your shift problems but will make the system work more efficiently.  Here's the link for you...

1 hour ago, bcsman said:

gwtx, welcome to the forum.  We have a number of seasoned citizens here including me.  There was a post made to properly prep an ES system that I will give you a link to.  Not sure if it will solve all your shift problems but will make the system work more efficiently.  Here's the link for you...

Thanks for the reply/link. That's the "service" I was referring to. Great article. Need to gather up some supplies and get started. Thanks again.

Shift motor looked fine. I finally remembered that I cleaned it sometime in the last couple years, but I did not clean and lube the reduction gears etc  at that time, so I did that. Put it back together enough to be able to test ride it. At first it missed a shift a couple times, then as I kept on upshifting and downshifting it started to work, but the timing for letting off the throttle/pushing the buttton was different than before. So, I got on it last night, and it started failing again. So, I'll do some more troubleshooting, and maybe just go ahead and replace the shift angle sensor since it has never been changed. It's odd that I can turn on the key, and it will shift up and down over and over without fail, as long as I rock it back and forth between shifts. All other electronic functions work perfectly all the time.  Any more ideas are welcome, thanks.

Checked out the shift angle sensor. It reads "open", no continuity between any combination of the pins. No variation when moving the "arm" back and forth. Ordered new OEM Honda sensor. There was no "O" ring in the sensor when I removed it, but there was no real evidence of water having been in there. I very seldom ride in water as deep as the "foot boards", but who knows.

In the meantime I disconnected and looked at the various grounding connections. Cleaned up one that I think was Ok, but had a little surface rust around it.  I would not have thought that it would run/shift at all with no signal from the angle sensor???  Anxiously awaiting the sensor which is supposed to be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Will post results as things continue. Thanks

The shift angle sensor replacement didn' solve the problem, but I think I may have "stumbled" onto the fix. I took the "handlebar" switch assembly apart, took the switches out (one at a time), rolled back the rubber boots, and shot some contact cleaner in them, and blew them out with high pressure air(150psi out of a 3/16" nozzle) until they were good and dry. Re-assembled and tested. After going thru a couple of shift cycles (1st - 5th and back) It is now shifting better than it ever has. I had already cleaned and opened the connectors that were accessible and put di-electric grease in them. Removed grounds and cleaned etc, etc. Did a lot of other things that I don't remember as well :)

But nothing helped until I did the shift switches. Thanks for the ideas and info on this site. 

• Like 2