1997Foreman400

Axle nut - Honda Foreman 400

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

It's  corrosion from  water and mud   that has salt in it 

You're right, I don't feel near as bad about mine now. 

I removed and polished the shaft yesterday.  Was a bit of a pain getting the little grooves lined back up to put the brake arm back on, but finally got it. New pads are supposed to arrive today, so hopefully I can button it all back up and have working rear brakes.

• Like 1

Hi: This should help when aligning the shoes -- first measure the in side of the drum -- then measure from tip to tip of the shoes -- see green and red lines to get them even before place the drum.

Front Brake.jpg

5 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi: This should help when aligning the shoes -- first measure the in side of the drum -- then measure from tip to tip of the shoes -- see green and red lines to get them even before place the drum.

Front Brake.jpg

I'm not sure what that means.  The rear brake pads can only go on one way...there shouldn't be any alignment issues.  Unless I'm missing something (which is certainly possible lol!)

Your picture looks like the front.  Perhaps that's a different beast.

Edited by 1997Foreman400

Sorry I got things wrong -- just did the front brakes on a other bike --- it will work the same for the rear 

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

IMG_6884.JPG

IMG_6885.JPG

That's more what I'm used to seeing.

And of course the lip around that oring is usually all busted up from someone prying on it trying to get the drum off.

The cleaner of the two of these has been soaking in my parts washer.  These two were sitting in the "I might need these someday, but hopefully I won't" pile of parts that are "use as a last resort"

rear panel.jpg

rear panel2.jpg

• Haha 1