Salineriverman

99 450 Es foreman carb or fuel issues

I recently got my brothers old Honda after he passed and it had been sitting outside at deer camp for years. It hadn’t ran in several years. I am try to get it back to going. I got it home, new battery and carb and air filter. Cleaned out gas tank and got it to run but wouldn’t shift with ES. 
I also had Akatv repair my speedometer or rather build me one and he did a great job. I put machine in shop and they replaced carburetor again and worked on shifting issue. Still didn’t get it to shift in reverse. But when I brought it home it runs good for 5 minutes or so then goes to sputtering and trying to backfire then dies. Will recrank and run normal for a few minutes then repeats issue. Been back to shop but got it back home today and still have same issues. Any suggestions on what to do? 

Frustrated but not giving up. 

Well I checked vent hose first and blew it out! It ram perfect for about a hour or so then had same issues. Went home and let it cool off and checked spark plug next. Plug was not tight, I removed it and it wasn’t black but whitish which is good I think. I did tighten it a little more and took a short ride and no issues but didn’t ride it long enough to know for sure. Anyone have any other ideas? 
Thanks for your input. 

try without a gas cap for bit and see, in case its not venting

I would try running a small test tank to the carb and see how it runs that way-

Also remove fuel line from carb and check fuel flow through the petcock in both the reserve and on positions-see how well it flows in both positions

I had a similar problem and it was a dirty/clogged petcock due to moisture and mineralization built up in the passages

Make sure any sediment did not make its way down into the carb inlet and float valve area as well

Let us know how you make out

sounds like not enough fuel reaching carb bowl to me ?. was the carb a china carb or oem carb ?. i would have just rebuilt the old carb, then looked to see how much if any fuel was reaching the carb bowl ?.

I was thinking the plastic screen over the petcock tube deteriorated and is causing a blockage in the petcock , just went thru that on a 420 , I was lucky and the petcock hold down screws came out with out spinning and stripping the nut out the plastic of the tank 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I was thinking the plastic screen over the petcock tube deteriorated and is causing a blockage in the petcock , just went thru that on a 420 , I was lucky and the petcock hold down screws came out with out spinning and stripping the nut out the plastic of the tank 

very well could be ?. as for those pesky bolts on petcock ?..who ever came up with that idea needs to be slapped !..lol.

• Like 2

The first carb I installed was a cheap carb about 65 bucks then the shop guys installed another one that was about a hundred so I figure it was a China one as well.  It idles and runs great for a bit. Since I tightened plug I’ve ran it with fuel cap off for about 10 minutes or so and it’s ran fine. I’ll do some more testing tomorrow. 
thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Salineriverman said:

The first carb I installed was a cheap carb about 65 bucks then the shop guys installed another one that was about a hundred so I figure it was a China one as well.  It idles and runs great for a bit. Since I tightened plug I’ve ran it with fuel cap off for about 10 minutes or so and it’s ran fine. I’ll do some more testing tomorrow. 
thanks

I have a 2000 TRX450S and a 2002 450FM  , the 2002  wouldn't run right when I first built it , it had a  OEM carb and I cleaned it multiple times and it didn't help the way it ran , bought an after market carb and it didn't help , paid the price back then and think it was more than what they are going for now , I see they are still available and about $190 dollars now days from Partzilla , it screamed after the carb change 

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I have a 2000 TRX450S and a 2002 450FM  , the 2002  wouldn't run right when I first built it , it had a  OEM carb and I cleaned it multiple times and it didn't help the way it ran , bought an after market carb and it didn't help , paid the price back then and think it was more than what they are going for now , I see they are still available and about $190 dollars now days from Partzilla , it screamed after the carb change 

I ran it a while this morning and it ran fine, looked like fuel flow is ok. Thanks for everyone’s input, if problem persists I will probably replace carb with an OEM carb. 

14 hours ago, THH said:

Power Sports Nation has used OEM carb available for $145.00

https://www.powersportsnation.com/honda-foreman-450-fe-00-carburetor-16100-hn0-a00-31565.html

Thanks for information, it’s rained 3.5” today in Arkansas but I plan on doing some more riding and checking things tomorrow if the rain stops. 
I’m hoping I can get it back going dependable again. It hasn’t been rode much but been sitting in the elements at a deer camp. He only rode it during turkey and deer season.  It may be in the peacock valve cause it runs better on Reserve than turned to on. 

Might help you to use a fuel source other than the tank to trouble shoot with 

TkVzF9GTTm6jCQ3rycN2JA.jpg

if ya get stumped ?, buy a shindy carb rebuild kit, load that puppy up, haul it up to me, i'll give it the shadetree touch :-).

I ran 4 wheeler this morning after church! It ran good as long as riding slow but if picked up speed to 25 or so it went back to cutting out. Just not getting enough fuel! 
I took fuel tank off and cleaned it and removed petcock valve , which the screen was coming apart and ordered a new one. I also removed the fuel gauge and cleaned it! 
the tank had a little crud in it but wasn’t bad. 
The new carb has a small filter in line so I’m hoping no trash got to new carb.  Once I get new petcock valve installed I’ll know if carb has to be cleaned!! Keeping my fingers crossed!! 
I still have the old original factory carb that I may get rebuilt!! 

Well I got the Petcock valve changed out and tank back installed and ran it for a while, it ran rough but after adjusting the carb a bit it is running much better.  Still too early to claim success but I've ridden it twice and it's running pretty good!! Thanks to all that have helped me with this issue!  Next task is removing rust from Rims and replacing weather cracked / dry cracked original tires!  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Salineriverman said:

Well I got the Petcock valve changed out and tank back installed and ran it for a while, it ran rough but after adjusting the carb a bit it is running much better.  Still too early to claim success but I've ridden it twice and it's running pretty good!! Thanks to all that have helped me with this issue!  Next task is removing rust from Rims and replacing weather cracked / dry cracked original tires!  

does this mean the check is in the mail ?..lol good deal on getting it going !.

• Haha 1