1997Foreman400

Howdy from south Georgia!

Oops, I forgot this step the other day and jumped right into asking for help. Great resource y'all have put together here!

I'm Adam. Owner of a 97 Foreman TRX400 since 2002. It was always a great machine.  Has about 4000 miles on it. I've used it for riding around the farm, mostly getting to and from hunting areas. Made the mistake of loaning it to my brother 6-8 years ago. His kids nearly trashed it mud bogging. When I finally got it back, it barely ran, had missing mud flaps, busted foot shield, shattered headlight, ripped seat, etc. Just trashed.  I replaced the mud flap, headlight, and put new tires on it. Next thing I knew it wouldn't crank, so it sat for the past 4-5 years. 

I got a wild hair a couple of weeks back and pulled it from under the barn and got to work. Replaced battery, starter solenoid, petcock, fuel line, rear brake shoes, and totally cleaned out the fuel tank, carb, & changed oil/filter/spark plug/air filter/front & rear differential oil.  The old girl rides again, thanks to a lot of snooping around on this forum for info.

I'm far from a mechanic, but suffer from feeling like I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. So far so good!

Still have plenty of cosmetic fixes to go (new seat & splash guards, specifically), and will likely be replacing the muffler (sounds like the baffles are rusted out...aggravating rattle noise).

20210929_185252.jpg

20210929_185317.jpg

20210929_185324.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome again !!!     I  never seen those handle bar covers before .....  Did  you added that ? What is the purpose ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TBRider said:

Welcome to the site

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Welcome again !!!     I  never seen those handle bar covers before .....  Did  you added that ? What is the purpose ? 

Thanks!  Stock as far as I know.  It's in the service manual.  

handlebar cover.png

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I see now that  it was only on the 400FWs ,  never noticed it before 

image.png

That's the only way I've ever noticed to tell a 400 from a 450 at first glance.

I order seat covers from this guy on Ebay.  https://www.ebay.com/usr/kentskovers4u?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

And yeah, people have dinged him on feedback due to slow shipping, but his covers have all fit perfectly for me, are cheap, and are easy to install. 

If your foam is in good shape, order a seat cover, heat the cover up (or let it sit in the sun on a hot day), and staple it on, following the directions that come with the cover.

Will make an old seat look new again.

5 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

That's the only way I've ever noticed to tell a 400 from a 450 at first glance.

I order seat covers from this guy on Ebay.  https://www.ebay.com/usr/kentskovers4u?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

And yeah, people have dinged him on feedback due to slow shipping, but his covers have all fit perfectly for me, are cheap, and are easy to install. 

If your foam is in good shape, order a seat cover, heat the cover up (or let it sit in the sun on a hot day), and staple it on, following the directions that come with the cover.

Will make an old seat look new again.

Thanks for the info on the seat cover.  I explored that option originally.  My seat foam up front is messed up, so that'd have to be fixed.  I did watch a youtube video on a guy patching in a piece of foam.  Honestly, I'm a bit apprehensive about stapling a new cover on.  I have the old school hand stapler, but not an electric.  Was worried the hand stapler wouldn't have the oomph to get the job done.  Haven't fully decided which method I'll go with yet, as getting some supplies in a small town (high density foam, for instance) can be tricky.  I get tired of paying Amazon for everything lol.  But I do appreciate the link to the seat cover guy, as it certainly means more having a recommendation than just stumbling across someone random.

2 minutes ago, 1997Foreman400 said:

Question...just noticed my profile pic has a blue glow around it...so does @jeepwm69 & @Fishfiles....but not everyone.  What's up with the blue aura?  lol

Nevermind, I think I just realized it shows who is online.

Not that blue part...the blue glow around the profile pic.  I think it means "online" though.

image.png  

Edited by 1997Foreman400
Trying to fix a duplicate picture

Wow , you taught me something today , it is hard to see but I see what your talking about 

• Like 1

Yes same here, I have never noticed the blue glow.  Good grief retro never trained us on that....lol thanks 1997...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The blue outline to indicate the member is on line is cool and a good feature  , I just wish it was much more highlighted as it is hard to notice and I never even noticed it for a couple of years now 

On 9/30/2021 at 4:37 AM, Fishfiles said:

the trx400fm came with that plastic bull horn style, handle bar cover on them when new from factory.

• Like 1