PROV

Trailer surprise 😲

On my last trip to my hunting shack I blew a trailer bearing. I have a 6.5x12 foot aluminum Mission trailer with torsion axle that I bought new. This trailer is rated with a 3500# axle. While performing a field repair I noticed it had 1 1/16" bearings and found a sticker that this is a 2000# axle!! Needless to say I am upset and called the dealer. They are calling the dealer rep and I better get a new axle out of it. Never thought I would see something like this.

How old is the trailer?  Assume fairly new. 

Hope they work it out for you.

Sounds shady as !.  Lucky that you found out like you did instead of having it fail and harm someone.

Whoever built that trailer is hanging their butt out in the wind liability-wise.

Trailer is 6 years old. Lucky I didn't have a bad failure but sure could have. If they don't want to make good I'll tell them they are going to get reported for false rating plate.

• Like 1

Is the other side marked the same?  Way I understand torsion axles is they are normally marketed and sold in pairs with the weight rating on each side being the total of both.  So, your torsion axle marked 2000 pounds means the pair is rated for 2000 pounds.

I looked into building a small travel trailer using torsion axles some years back.

When I looked up a #3500 axle bearings , it showed 1 1/16 outer and 1 3/8 inner bearings 

A torsion axle is rated by total weight as there are no pairs. Trailer had 1 1/16 inner and outer bearings. Like Fish says, too light.