Sarge Quimby

450 Foreman Shut down

I recently got a 450 Foreman that my father-in-law had.  It runs good most of the time but here recently when it gets hot it shuts off.  The fan will kick on from time to time and I have checked all the fuses and they are good.  What else could be the problem?

Welcome aboard.  We have several guys here who are very familiar with the 450's.

@Fishfiles @shadetree do the 450's have a CDI similar to the 300's and old 350's that would cause this?

21 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Welcome aboard.  We have several guys here who are very familiar with the 450's.

@Fishfiles @shadetree do the 450's have a CDI similar to the 300's and old 350's that would cause this?

22 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I dont actually know  It takes a while for it to do it so it is really not a big deal during the season but when we are working I dont want to have to drag it back.

I dont actually know  It takes a while for it to do it so it is really not a big deal during the season but when we are working I dont want to have to drag it back

Hi Sarge , welcome to the forum  ----which 450 do you have ,  98-2001 ( 1st gen )  or 2002-2004 ( 2nd  gen ) , then ES/FE ( electric shift )  or S / FM ( foot shift ) ----when you say it shuts off when hot , does that mean it will spin over OK , just won't spark and run , or doesn't spin over at all or spin slowly 

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

they have a fan control unit on them, if they fail ?, the c.d.i. will shut down.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sarge Quimby said:

Fishfiles,

It is electronic shift.  It is also a 2004.  It will crank and idle great bot when it gets hot is when it shuts off

does the fan ever come on ?.

2 minutes ago, Sarge Quimby said:

Shadetree,

it does

ok, now you need to check to make sure the carb is getting plenty of fuel ?. it sounds as if its vapor locking to me ?, or fuel is not flowing very good, and running out of fuel.

• Like 1