Well, waited long enough, finally scored a project !. rough shape, blown engine ( does the snorkels give it away ? ), guy came down from 750 to 500, made the drive, decided not to even jew him down. needs some love and parts, will be my winter project. gotta finish this trx300fw before i start in on this. here's a few pics in the truck bed, to tired and bad back, need to rest, will post more pics soon !.

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

• Like 4

Good deal shade, gonna be a dandy fix r upper for ya.   Yea that rack on the back might not survive once you get at it.  Guess it would be handy for some tasks but sure looks big and fugly.  From the pics and your description think for $500 ya done good!!!! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Good deal shade, gonna be a dandy fix r upper for ya.   Yea that rack on the back might not survive once you get at it.  Guess it would be handy for some tasks but sure looks big and fugly.  From the pics and your description think for $500 ya done good!!!! 

i think so, time will tell !..lol.

$500 sounds like a deal -----   bet someone will buy that rear rack from you 

Muffler is in good shape ------  the heat shield on the exhaust pipe has one nut loose on the header pipe , the front lights looks decent , the stock  snorkels I dug up looks like a 300 and maybe a 250ES , I got some other crates but it is going to take some major cleaning to get to them and I doubt I was into saving stock snorkels , I have seen them on  Power Sports Nation 

%Ru8IIfOSZe3FBK8FK8IRg.jpg6jPTaBKBRDKj3KkZrWSrLQ.jpgTsWC6xX2QmG4HREKM5JAsw.jpg

+NZ6Q76xTnOeZ9hDRz+vaQ.jpg

lzY7lyl1R5ipw47I3jcnaA.jpg

4FnLnUNqTuq6nwTt3xR++A.jpg

fullsizeoutput_f16.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Muffler is in good shape ------  the heat shield on the exhaust pipe has one nut loose on the header pipe , the front lights looks decent , the stock  snorkels I dug up looks like a 300 and maybe a 250ES , I got some other crates but it is going to take some major cleaning to get to them and I doubt I was into saving stock snorkels , I have seen them on  Power Sports Nation 

%Ru8IIfOSZe3FBK8FK8IRg.jpg6jPTaBKBRDKj3KkZrWSrLQ.jpgTsWC6xX2QmG4HREKM5JAsw.jpg

+NZ6Q76xTnOeZ9hDRz+vaQ.jpg

lzY7lyl1R5ipw47I3jcnaA.jpg

4FnLnUNqTuq6nwTt3xR++A.jpg

fullsizeoutput_f16.jpeg

deff want the muffler, head lights from that top right photo bro, do not need the header pipe heat shield, let me get this unloaded here soon, i'll get some better pics, we'll work on some swapping :-).

Hey shade looked thru my spare parts and no dice on the starter rope and handle.....sorry

Got it unloaded. best news of the day ?..THE CRANK IS GREAT !. not so much for the plastics, rear rack where it mounts to frame. very happy the crank is in great shape, already know where to buy a top end rebuild kit for cheap. don't bother checking every day for new info, this is on the back burner for now, i've got to finish that trx300fw !. as you can see from the piston ?, it looks very well to me, it hydro locked, and blew the piston apart. engine will get removed, split, gone through, new cam chain, oil seals, all the normal stuff i do when rebuilding engines. the meter seems to be in good shape as far as the lcd screen ?, hard to tell by the outer plastic cover a tad nasty looking. anyway, i think i scored a good one on this so far.

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

4 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Hey shade looked thru my spare parts and no dice on the starter rope and handle.....sorry

ok, ty, np, i'll come up with it later, i may even have a '' spare '' sitting somewhere ?..lol.

Good grief I don't think my spare engine piston looks that bad, must take alot to do damage of that magnitude.....

I'd say the smaller of the two snorkel tubes  in the pic is the 450 tube , looks just like the picture 

image.png

fullsizeoutput_f1a.jpeg

The guy who bought that 08 500 from me a while back is out in West Little Rock and asked my buddy if I had a rear basket for sale.

If you're selling that one he'd probably be interested in it.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

The guy who bought that 08 500 from me a while back is out in West Little Rock and asked my buddy if I had a rear basket for sale.

Bet $500 would cover that huh shade??   lol

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

give him my number, yes, i will be selling it, its coming off !..lol. problem is, is welded to the rack, so he will have to take all of it, and grind the welds off to use the basket. asking $ 200.00 OBO for the whole thing.

4 hours ago, bcsman said:

Bet $500 would cover that huh shade??   lol

all day long !..lol.

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I'd say the smaller of the two snorkel tubes  in the pic is the 450 tube , looks just like the picture 

image.png

fullsizeoutput_f1a.jpeg

yep, thats the oem snorkel, only problem is, i got a brand new one on the way..lol.

update: had time tonight after putting the '91 trx300fw back together on the front left side, to tear the motor down on this '2004 trx450fm, here is a pic of what seems to be the problem so far ?..rofl. no really, this is just what i dumped out, all the smaller parts of the piston was washed down , and out in my parts washer. motor is all the way apart, now I just wash it out, clean them, and start putting it back together. just came in from the shop, called it a night. word of caution !!!, if any of you outlaws has a top end blow up ( piston mainly ) ?, BE SURE YOU SPLIT THE MOTOR, AND WASH IT OUT !!!, if you do not ?, i'd bet my last dollar you will be right back where you started from in no time ?!?, reason : there is very fine shavings down inside the lower engine, all this heads right for the bearings, all you end up with is a time bomb, SPLIT THE MOTOR, WASH IT ALL OUT VERY GOOD !!!.

IMG_1727.JPG

• Like 5

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

update: had time tonight after putting the '91 trx300fw back together on the front left side, to tear the motor down on this '2004 trx450fm, here is a pic of what seems to be the problem so far ?..rofl. no really, this is just what i dumped out, all the smaller parts of the piston was washed down , and out in my parts washer. motor is all the way apart, now I just wash it out, clean them, and start putting it back together. just came in from the shop, called it a night. word of caution !!!, if any of you outlaws has a top end blow up ( piston mainly ) ?, BE SURE YOU SPLIT THE MOTOR, AND WASH IT OUT !!!, if you do not ?, i'd bet my last dollar you will be right back where you started from in no time ?!?, reason : there is very fine shavings down inside the lower engine, all this heads right for the bearings, all you end up with is a time bomb, SPLIT THE MOTOR, WASH IT ALL OUT VERY GOOD !!!.

IMG_1727.JPG

wow , ground up piston ---- looks like I see a chunk of ring in there , LOL

• Haha 1

update: got most of one side of engine done, waiting on gasket now...sigh.

IMG_1728.JPG

• Like 2

update: got most of the motor together today/tonight, called it quits for tonight, leg is hurting, foot is hurting, time to call it done for tonight, i'm wore out. here's a few pic's of what i got together so far on lower engine. also, all new oil seals through out engine.

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

• Like 4

Dang Shadetree, at this rate you'll be done with this one by Halloween.....and need another project.... lol

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Dang Shadetree, at this rate you'll be done with this one by Halloween.....and need another project.... lol

you shush !!..lol.

• Like 1

update: well, after posting to AKATV about my meter, i made a trip to catfishes bone yard today while i was out at his house this morning, removed the meter from the parts bike 450fm, all 4 studs twisted out of the back side, no big deal, did get the meter off, removed the top cover, and luck has it ( not saying much for me lately ! ) the screen is in great shape !. i do have a brand new top cover from honda to put on it, not sure if it works or not ?, will find out way later. also got the throttle cable off with the 2wd-4wd switch. it still has the front and back end drive system, i may or may not need any of this yet ?, wont know until later..but at least its there if i need it !. ( yes...all this does not cost me a dime ), but i do work with him building atvs..so we barter back and forth like this a lot. i'll post some pics of the meter i got later on when i finish putting the engine back together, and post a pic of that as well.

• Like 1

update: as promised, here is the meter and engine all done, have not painted the engine yet, on break right now..lol.

IMG_1742.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

• Like 4