On 10/4/2021 at 8:15 AM, Fishfiles said:

I'd say the smaller of the two snorkel tubes  in the pic is the 450 tube , looks just like the picture 

image.png

fullsizeoutput_f1a.jpeg

Fish;; Whats wrong with you?? that looks like a CLYMER manual.. 😀😀😀

8 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Fish;; Whats wrong with you?? that looks like a CLYMER manual.. 😀😀😀

I really don't need a manual , if I need technical assistance and pointers  ........  I'll just call Shade', LOL 

• Haha 1

update: well, been pretty busy lately, between finishing the trx300fw, rebuilding catfishes friends 450, and now have a 1982 atc200 in my shop waiting on a carb kit ?, i have not done much to this 2004 trx450fm project, i did place a couple large order's for brand new oem parts for this project, got them all in, but as of right now, its all on hold until i get this atc200 out of my shop. this belongs to my hunting bud that is letting me hunt on his property down south, so it gets top priority in repairs. carb kit shows to be here monday ?, i hope to have it back in, and running , then i roll the trx450fm frame back in, and finish tearing it down to bare frame. will keep this thread updated as i go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

update: oh look, she shed her cloths !..lol. got her stripped down to bare frame, got first wash on the frame, will hit it again with my super clean, then get it prepped for paint, still need to get the lower steering bearing out, re-pack some fresh grease in that, then i can start painting the frame. here is a few pics of her down to bare frame before i washed it first go-around. you can also see the '82 atc200 big red in one pic, tracking shows carb kit out for delivery today ?, I hope it is, then i'll get that finished up, be ready for him to come get it, he's also gonna bring me a honda ct90 he wants me to fix..man..i'm going backwards on project year wise !!..lol. its cool though..i love old honda stuff.

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG

• Like 5

update: got some paint on the frame late yesterday. had to stop, and get to work on the 1982 atc200 carb install. messed with that for a bit, stupid thing would not idle worth a crap ??..top end was great, response was great, but idle was all over the place !..from running good..to rev'ing high..to dieing ?..hmmm..something was not right with it. re-checked all my timing marks, still no go. aghhh !!!. then i got to deep thinking..ok..there is an o-ring under the intake boot, i removed the boot, replaced the o-ring, put it all back together, fine tweaked the adjustments again on air/fuel mixture..BOOM !!..got it to idle perfect !!. then the stupid china pet-cock he put on it was stripped out on the fuel tank ?, grrrr...headed out to catfishes place here soon, will see what we can come up with to solve that problem. owner will be here sunday to pick this atc200 up, drop off the ct90, and a atc200sx motor, wire harness, and give those to me to keep. wants me to try and fix the ct90, we'll see how that pans out ??..lol. i'll post some painted pics of the trx450fm frame later today some time. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, shadetree said:

update: got some paint on the frame late yesterday. had to stop, and get to work on the 1982 atc200 carb install. messed with that for a bit, stupid thing would not idle worth a crap ??..top end was great, response was great, but idle was all over the place !..from running good..to rev'ing high..to dieing ?..hmmm..something was not right with it. re-checked all my timing marks, still no go. aghhh !!!. then i got to deep thinking..ok..there is an o-ring under the intake boot, i removed the boot, replaced the o-ring, put it all back together, fine tweaked the adjustments again on air/fuel mixture..BOOM !!..got it to idle perfect !!. then the stupid china pet-cock he put on it was stripped out on the fuel tank ?, grrrr...headed out to catfishes place here soon, will see what we can come up with to solve that problem. owner will be here sunday to pick this atc200 up, drop off the ct90, and a atc200sx motor, wire harness, and give those to me to keep. wants me to try and fix the ct90, we'll see how that pans out ??..lol. i'll post some painted pics of the trx450fm frame later today some time. 

I had the same problem after rebuilding carb on 1985 ATC250SX one time, replaced the intake boot o-ring and good to go.

ATC200 might be different but for my ATC250SX the clearances in that area are real tight to work in!!

My buddies 300 has a surging idle like that.  I tried spraying starter fluid up around that intake boot to see if the idle picked up, figuring it was an air leak somewhere, but there was no change.

Maybe I should check that O ring  anyway.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

My buddies 300 has a surging idle like that.  I tried spraying starter fluid up around that intake boot to see if the idle picked up, figuring it was an air leak somewhere, but there was no change.

Maybe I should check that O ring  anyway.

also check the carb's top ?, sometimes that diaphragm wont sit in the groove in the top of the carb ?, causes air leaks. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, THH said:

I had the same problem after rebuilding carb on 1985 ATC250SX one time, replaced the intake boot o-ring and good to go.

ATC200 might be different but for my ATC250SX the clearances in that area are real tight to work in!!

yeah, honda does not give ya much room to work with..this is for sure !.

update: well crap, just got the rear diff torn down, and just as i thought, every bearing and oil seal in it is toast !. axle splines are border line from running it ? ( i would not run it in the ring gear ). so, thank goodness catfish still has the rear end to that trx450fm parts bike out at his place, i'll go grab it , and order oil seals, and bearings for this, rebuild my diff, swap out to the parts rear end, he's cool with this. i love it when a plan comes together...sigh..this is why i hate riding atv's in muddy crap, this destroys rear diff's !!!. folks do this, i get it, but just be warned !, if you play ?..you will pay !.

• Like 1

update: just got back from catfish's place with this rear end off the parts bike, will tear into it later on, got other things going on at the moment , will try to post some pic's as well later on.

update: here is a few pics of progress !. i have torn into many rear diff's through the years . but never in all those years have i ever seen a rear diff that looked like brand new ???!. the inside of the diff i got from catfish's place this morning from the parts bike has to be the best dang diff i have ever seen !!!. it was spotless inside, seals looked new, ring gear and pinion gear looked new, all bearings were in new shape..i was like..holy crap...i hit the mother load on this rear end !!. the axle in one of the pics have NO wear what so ever on any of the splines !!!..just wow !. left rear axle tube has new bearing and oil seal installed. took a break for a few min's. trying to get a roller frame for now, then i will roll it out, start in on that ct90 that got dropped off today from the guy that owned the 1982 atc200 big red, he's a happy camper it runs again !. if i do not run out of steam today/tonight ?, i will try to get the engine back in the frame ?, can't say for sure...i'm going down hill fast today.

IMG_1757.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1760.JPG

• Like 3

With the rear diff in such great shape, how did the rest of the bike end up at Catfish’s scrapyard?

39 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

With the rear diff in such great shape, how did the rest of the bike end up at Catfish’s scrapyard?

top end on motor dropped a valve, damaged the motor when that took place.

• Like 1

update: last pic's for today, i'm wore out, calling it a day on this project.

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

• Like 4

did not touch the trx450fm today, spent all day out at catfish's place, got home late, i did pick up a rear brake drum with brake shoes and springs, did not get a chance to work on the rear brakes today/tonight, wore out. will try to work on it tuesday some time i hope ?. 

• Like 3

update: had a chance to install what i thought ?..was just going to be the rear brake drum i got from catfish's place, well, he looked the drum up, and found out that the trx350 ranchers use the very same brake drum ?, and he had a pile of brand new backing plate, brake shoes, brake drums, springs..all together, missing the brake drum cover, but oh well..begger's can't be choosy !. IT'S A DIRECT BOLT ONTO THE 2004 TR450FM RIGHT REAR AXLE !!. so, word from the wise shadetree, if ya are hunting down a rear brake drum ?, rear brake drum backing plate ?, rear brake shoes ? for a trx450 ( 2004 model for sure ! ), can't locate any new or used ?, LOOK FOR TRX350 RANCHER PARTS FOR THE REAR BRAKE PARTS !!. i'll post some pic's later on to show ya what i am saying :-).

• Like 2

update: just came in from the shop, been going at it all day today. got a few things done. handle bars on, front diff split, cleaned out, installed, front left axle shaft was bad !, had to replace it with a spare i had, as you can see in the pics, the groove where the snap ring sits down in, was broken, and allowed me to pull the whole shaft out of the inboard cup !..i was like..ummm..that shaft is not suppose to come out that far ?, sure enough, tore it down, and found the problem, ring broken, and groove wore smooth out !. front drive shaft is connected to motor and front diff now. rear shocks got cleaned up, installed, painted. rear brake all done now, cept gotta run the left handle bar lever to right rear new brake cable, that will come later on. got the rear foot brake drilled, tapped, grease zerk installed, foot brake painted. seems like i making progress ?, but i got a very long ways to go before i do a test fire on the engine. i got so many projects waiting on me right now, i might have to hire one of you guys to lend a hand for a couple months ?..haha. anyway, enjoy to pics !.

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

• Like 4

In these pics looks like some kind of carnival ride....lol  Part time help huh, with your hours good luck finding anybody.  Most people want some kind of life.....

• Haha 3

update: does not look like much was done ?, but if ya look closer , yu'll see i got the front left brake side done, right front side likes the brake drum installed. meter installed, wire harness installed, hooked it all up to a battery to test the meter, and see how many miles were on the meter ?, 4379 miles show on meter. handle bar grips installed, light switch installed, throttle side and throttle cable installed, oil cooler installed. piece by piece..slowly coming together.

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

• Like 5

13 hours ago, bcsman said:

In these pics looks like some kind of carnival ride....lol 

looking good --- where's the  shock , steering bars/ tie rods and brake drum paint 

59 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

looking good --- where's the  shock , steering bars/ tie rods and brake drum paint 

have not cleaned the front shocks, not painting the brake drums, nor tie rods. just using the shocks to hold up the a-arms to paint them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bcsman said:

Well she runs, good deal....

yeppers, you was the first to hear it !..lol. just came in from the shop, i'm beat, gonna take a shower, and lay my old butt down.

• Like 3