gwtx

Honda electrical connectors

Can anyone point me to a video clip that shows the "proper" way to disengage the "latch" on these connectors. ESPECIALLY the one on the shift angle sensor ?  (which I just recently destroyed)       I have looked and looked, but I don't find a good description of how to do it. 

Sure would appreciate it. These 76 yr old hands just don't work like they used to 😞       Thanks for any and all Input.

Them connector locks are not all made the same ---------  the best first step is to be sure there is no dirt packed in the connector , use some compressed air thru a blow gun and a pick , then some WD40 sprayed into the connector and blown off again  can help 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Them connector locks are not all made the same ---------  the best first step is to be sure there is no dirt packed in the connector , use some compressed air thru a blow gun and a pick , then some WD40 sprayed into the connector and blown off again  can help 

Thanks "fish".  I've done that before. Sometimes it helps for me, and sometimes it doesn't.  I was hoping to find a short video that shows exactly how the "latch" works, and how to get it open without damaging the connector. Most of the ones I've had trouble with, probably didn't need a latch. Could hardly pull'em apart even after un latching/destroying them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gwtx said:

Thanks "fish".  I've done that before. Sometimes it helps for me, and sometimes it doesn't.  I was hoping to find a short video that shows exactly how the "latch" works, and how to get it open without damaging the connector. Most of the ones I've had trouble with, probably didn't need a latch. Could hardly pull'em apart even after un latching/destroying them.

i'll be the first to tell ya, yes..some of them can be a royal pain in the butt !. fish is correct, make sure you get all dirt, mud, anything out of the latch area !!. once this is done, you will notice there is 2 different clips on one side ?, one clip is for latching it onto the frame tang, the other clip can either be a push pull type ?, or a press outward type ?. the trick is making sure no dirt is down in beside the area where you force the clip out, reason being is, if dirt is down in there ?, the clip latch/hook does not have enough space to go out, clear the tang, and let you pull it apart. this is why fish and me are saying you MUST make sure the connection is very clean, or you will fight big time trying to get it apart. also, what is this model you are working on ?. all models are not the same !. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

i'll be the first to tell ya, yes..some of them can be a royal pain in the butt !. fish is correct, make sure you get all dirt, mud, anything out of the latch area !!. once this is done, you will notice there is 2 different clips on one side ?, one clip is for latching it onto the frame tang, the other clip can either be a push pull type ?, or a press outward type ?. the trick is making sure no dirt is down in beside the area where you force the clip out, reason being is, if dirt is down in there ?, the clip latch/hook does not have enough space to go out, clear the tang, and let you pull it apart. this is why fish and me are saying you MUST make sure the connection is very clean, or you will fight big time trying to get it apart. also, what is this model you are working on ?. all models are not the same !. 

Sorry, I had posted the make/model info in another post, and forgot to include it here. 2008 Rancher 420  FE  ES 4x4. I am working on a ES shifting problem, and the shift angle sensor tests bad. I posted here recently "Another Electric Shift Problem".  I probably didn't get the connector clean enough. I replaced the starter sprag clutch some time ago, and if I remember right, I broke one of the connectors trying to pick the dried mud out from behind the "tab".  At the time I wasn't sure whether to press on the tab, or pull outward on it. I'm still not sure.  Thanks for the reply.

Edited by gwtx
added info