jeepwm69

Yesterday’s ride

We decided to ride yesterday even though though weather was horrible. Last weekend before muzzleloading season opens here so we figured if we were going to ride we needed to go ahead and do it.

Watched most of the Georgia Arkansas game, If that shellacking was even worthy of being called a game.

Headed out. We probably got 6 inches of rain in the last two days so it was a wet soggy mess. In other words perfect riding conditions lol.  Poured rain all morning, was a slow drizzle when we left the house, but ended up clearing off later in the afternoon

One of the guys fell behind and we were sitting on the sandbar waiting on him and he texted us and said he needed help. He had a water hole going to fast and had a roll. I imagine he’s going to be sore today but he got lucky. His foreman, not so much. Of course, another project for me 

His bike was still rideable so we went back to the sand bar where the other guys were waiting on us.  My Rincon riding buddy started doing rooster tails on the edge of the river, and all the sudden we heard a lovely rattling back/grinding noise as his rear differential let go. Had to tow him all the way back to the house at about 10 miles an hour so that effectively ended the ride.

Now I have two more broken machines in the yard to fix.

3C2B9B0C-B145-4484-954D-A5E89F741B0F.jpeg

65835854-B5BB-4E87-8FDD-EE7936B52BA0.jpeg

6C59B837-2F68-4705-B9B9-542C7A396195.jpeg

1A62518F-7B6D-4D36-A131-9624A5C27BD5.jpeg

206EF71C-7274-4587-9782-4EA5AF1999DF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

wow , what a wipe out , lucky he never got really hurt , I like riding on the edge ----bummer bout  Arkansas , watched that one , there were no highlights for the highlight films , LSU wasn't much better , winning  like 16 to 0 at 1/2 time and lost 24-19 against Auburn 

Good luck for the Rincon.  Blown ujoint instead of diff.

Still over $100 for the part, and found a torn rear CV while I was pulling it apart 

4B0D51AE-D651-435B-AF34-6D54CC55D17A.jpeg

wow...you boys play rough... grin.... I'm so easy on my ol bike...actually going easy on my old body.. LOL... there are times I'm on a trail and look down the 5 ft embankment into my creek bed and think...man...that would be fun sloshing through there...but I also know that some of the sand area is so soft that I sink 6 inches when I try to walk the creek bed...and I'm just too lazy to think about getting the bike stuck , having to winch and wrestle it out...etc...so I just keep it on the nice, flat, solid trail.

• Like 3

Well, the Rincon guy is the "more power!" guy of the group.  He's always had "little man syndrome" since he's only about 5' 6".  As he's gotten older he's grown out a LOT, but he's still short lol.

He's always been a speed freak.  Walked a dirt bike across a lake years ago (when he was skinny).  Had a souped up Mustang 5.0 when we were in high school.

But yeah, the running comment on him has always been "Jones is hard on equipment".  In this case, a 300lb guy doing doughnuts on a 15 year old Honda with a GR is probably going to break something LOL.

He purposely runs non-aggressive tires so he can rooster tail and sling mud on the rest of us when we're riding. 

Of course, knowing we all have winches he doesn't worry much about getting stuck.  That's him in the background in this pic from 10 years ago, while we stand my 09 up to drain the water out of the exhaust.  Luckily no water in my engine that day.

194555_10150118034973164_1270754_o.jpg

• Haha 1

funny...good stories...thanks for sharing... I like to just ride and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes, when on the public trails I'll follow a group down to the basin and then just park and be enteratined while they go mudding...always amazed at guys that will take $5k-$8k worth of machine down in those mud holes. But it is fun to watch.

3 hours ago, Bighanded said:

funny...good stories...thanks for sharing... I like to just ride and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes, when on the public trails I'll follow a group down to the basin and then just park and be enteratined while they go mudding...always amazed at guys that will take $5k-$8k worth of machine down in those mud holes. But it is fun to watch.

it's only fun to watch, UNLESS YOU ARE THE ONE SINKING A 5K-8K ATV, and have to pay to fix it ?, then its not fun anymore !..lol.

• Haha 1

I guess it's all relative...to me, $1,500 for an old beater honda is an extravagant spend of the family funds... i tend to treat it like it's a $10,000 item and know that if I tear it up, I might not can justify the cost to repair.

other guys just walk into a shop, plop down the cash or low interest credit card for a shiny new toy and then head straight to the mud pits.

happy for them...but I'm happy to just to sit and watch.

Well, we don't tend to swamp them much.  I have the only snorkel, and that was because I had fenders already cut for a snorkel so I put my good fenders on a flip bike.

The Rubicon only gets used for cruising.  No water.  Same with the kids' machines. 

I have the 06 Foreman with 28's and a snorkel, and it's fixing to get a gear reduction, but even then I rarely go over the floorboards with it.

My identical (but not snorkeled) 09 footshift is my "work" machine for the farm, so it doesn't get abused either.

So I just have the one that I "play" on, and if I do sink it, I usually have a rebuilt engine sitting in the shop floor ready to go.   When you do the labor yourself it's not too bad.

Would I be doing any of it were I paying the $100/hour shop rate at Honda?  Heck no.