Pete L.

05 Honda TRX500 Rubicon - transmission

Hello all. 
Looking for suggestions and if anyone’s had similar symptoms.  Sorry for the long story in advance. 

Two days ago I was pulling a tub trailer with all my camping gear, and a moose in the tub trailer 25kms out of the mountains in British Columbia.  About half way out, I started hearing a squealing noise from my quad, only when driving.  In neutral, I revved the motor, no squeal. I had no choice but to keep going to get to the vehicles. 
Today I was unloading my quad from my trailer and it struggled to move, as if the brakes were applied. Again the rev limiter came on in reverse and the ESP, D1, and D2 was flashing.  I had this last year as well which I resolved by replacing the angle sensor. 
My quad has 9000kms on it and up till now has been an awesome machine. 

Looking to see if anyone has had similar issues, if it’s cost effective to tear apart and fix, or time to move on to a different machine?  

Anyone have a link to the manual for my quad?
Appreciate the help and happy quading!

Pete

52121466-6434-4F8C-B9AD-0EF708C7B3B6.jpeg

6D467381-A644-4982-97F8-662CE5EEE7ED.jpeg

Welcome aboard.

From what I have been able to ascertain, the 05-up Rubicons are pretty stout.  The early models had crappy oil pumps which would starve and kill the Hondamatic transmissions, but the later models transmission failure is very rare.

If you look at the toolbar at the top of the page there is a tab called "Service Manuals".  Click on that, follow the link, Honda, Utility, then there's a Rubicon manual in there.

Check the number of blinks and see what error code it is throwing, and the service manual will tell you how to troubleshoot each error code.

Was the squealing coming from inside the engine, or could it have possibly been the driveshaft/final shaft?  Sounds more like a driveline issue than an engine issue.

We have a member here who pops up only occasionally, @Brian Bertram who knows how to rebuild the Hondamatics, so long as they didn't completely grenade, but again, on the later Rubicons the Hondamatics rarely fail.

best advice i can give you ?, sell it, get a manual shift model !..lol. they just dont die !. if the transmission is shot in that atv ?, for what it will cost to replace the transmission ?, you can buy a complete , running manual shift model !. last time i checked , those tranny's cost over 1800 bucks just for that part !. they are not serviceable going by the book ?, but there has been folks to rebuild them, just not my me..lol. 

19 minutes ago, shadetree said:

best advice i can give you ?, sell it, get a manual shift model !..lol. they just dont die !. if the transmission is shot in that atv ?, for what it will cost to replace the transmission ?, you can buy a complete , running manual shift model !. last time i checked , those tranny's cost over 1800 bucks just for that part !. they are not serviceable going by the book ?, but there has been folks to rebuild them, just not my me..lol. 

The big hold up to rebuilding them was a Honda-specific bearing that is required, but @Brian Bertram and Harig (over at toodeep's old board) figured out how to make that bearing from a commonly available bearing. 

Powersportsnation has also figured out how to rebuild them apparently.

5 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

The big hold up to rebuilding them was a Honda-specific bearing that is required, but @Brian Bertram and Harig (over at toodeep's old board) figured out how to make that bearing from a commonly available bearing. 

Powersportsnation has also figured out how to rebuild them apparently.

bearing or not ?, honda came out, and said these tranny's can not be rebuilt, we all know why, they do not want you to fix it, they want to get your money on a whole new tranny !..lol. i have seen them on catfishes floor, they don't look to be too hard to take apart ?, but when i don't know what i am doing ?, i leave well enough alone. over time, all it took was someone to figure out how to fix them, just like they did with honda's rear diff back in the day, back then, they also said you had to replace the whole diff, as it could not be rebuilt ?, then some guy came along, and figured out how to change out the bearings in them. what honda did , was put the pinion bearing in there with a stupid cir-clip to hold it in there, and sure enough, honda claims this was why they could not be rebuilt ?. sure enough, as time went on, this smart person figured out a way to get these bearings out, and came out with a bearing kit.

• Like 1