JEFFSSSEI

1995 Foreman 400 "Barn Find" restoration project, (welcome ideas/suggestions)

my $500 barn find...been sitting for about 10yrs. So it's my 1st ATV and 1st Honda...

My background:  skilled Mechanic (15+yrs practical exp) & Automotive Electrical systems technician so I am no stranger mechanical/electrical work.

I am starting with the suspension and steering to get it back to a rolling chassis...ball joint is out (driver front)...going to replace all 4 of them and do a bushing kit on the A-arms

Are there any upgrades (poly bushings etc) available for them (suspension) and what are some good reputable aftermarket companies/sites to order from?

my thoughts as far as rebuild/restoration steps direction :

1. suspension/steering, 

2.  electrical/mechanical (get it running and all electrical systems working properly)

3.  wheels & tires

4.  front disc brake upgrade/conversion

5. (maybe) rear disk brake upgrade/conversion

6.  re-finished/replaced seat.

7.  Extras (light upgrades, winch, armor/protection etc.)

Ideas, comments, suggenstions?

20211006_074710.jpg

Edited by JEFFSSSEI

Welcome aboard.  Those old 400's are tanks.

I believe a 450 jug and piston will bolt right on for a big of oomph, but keep the 400 head as it has a smaller combustion chamber for higher compression.

I'd use OEM ball joints, Rocky Mountain ATV is usually the cheapest now.  Partzilla's website for schematics and part interchange works better for research though.

Don't know of any poly bushing kits.  I use OEM from RMATV or all balls for bushing kits.  I stay far away from All Balls bearings, but their bushing kits seem to be ok, and OEM are a lot pricier.

Thanks Jeep, especially the 450 jug tip...might be an "upgrade" down the road after I get it going (or sooner if it needs it).  thanks for the parts sites too....wish someone made poly bushings, seems almost a no brainer, but I digress.  any aftermarket companies I should "Stay Away From"? (and yes I know fleebay is always a big gamble)

5 minutes ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

Thanks Jeep, especially the 450 jug tip...might be an "upgrade" down the road after I get it going (or sooner if it needs it).  thanks for the parts sites too....wish someone made poly bushings, seems almost a no brainer, but I digress.  any aftermarket companies I should "Stay Away From"? (and yes I know fleebay is always a big gamble)

Depends on the part.  I try to use OEM whenever I can, even if it's used OEM.

I use All Balls or Boss for CV boots, bushings for the upper A-arms.  That's about it.  Otherwise I buy OEM.

OEM ball joints and tie rod ends are cheaper from RMATV than aftermarket are anywhere, so sometimes OEM isn't just the best, it's also the cheapest.

Definitely do not buy any aftermarket electrical stuff, not that a 400 gets very fancy on the electrical.

ok, thanks....aftermarket electrical...yeah most times OEM is best on those parts (outside of lighting...LED/HID upgrades).  I've been comparing wiring diagrams between model years etc...might put a digital gauge set from a newer year on it down the road (obviously would require custom wiring...doesn't scare me I do prototype & one off wiring at work everyday).

38 minutes ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

ok, thanks....aftermarket electrical...yeah most times OEM is best on those parts (outside of lighting...LED/HID upgrades).  I've been comparing wiring diagrams between model years etc...might put a digital gauge set from a newer year on it down the road (obviously would require custom wiring...doesn't scare me I do prototype & one off wiring at work everyday).

Heeey, if you can pull that off you might be a real handy guy to have around. 

52 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Heeey, if you can pull that off you might be a real handy guy to have around. 

I am sure at some point (newer model years) they turn the gauge cluster into just a cluster and it gets all it's info from an on board ECU, but the models prior to that point most likely do all the computing etc in the cluster and in that case it is just tying it into the proper wiring/sensors.  Don't worry if I get that done, I will definitely do a write-up on it.

• Thanks 1

welcome , first lets start with the engine. D.I.D. cam chain is the way to go, oem or namura after market piston kit is worth the money. oem gaskets or after market gaskets is ok, i tend to use what i can afford on projects. oem on bushings, no one has better than i know of , other than boss bearing company. always use atv oil, NEVER USE REG AUTO OIL !. a shindy carb kit is best for the carb rebuild, any other is junk , cept oem, but that is not worth the cost , not when shindy is outstanding. not sure how you are going to pull off a elec meter/display ?, none of these models came with them that i know of ?, cept maybe the automatics ?, and i never touch those. the trx400fm is a solid machine, PLEASE DON'T SKIMP ON PARTS AND NOT DOING IT RIGHT ?!.

• Like 1

Thanks, Shadetree, and don't worry I won't skimp on parts...my other money pit is an old Land Rover Discovery II....you don't skimp on parts on those either. 😉  I won't be touching the guage thing until the rest of it is back up to snuff...that's in the "extras" category for sure.  Thanks for the suggestions on the oil, rebuild kit etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

...my other money pit is an old Land Rover Discovery II....

😉

Well that explains your electrical expertise.

Lucas, the Lord of Darkness, will make an expert out of anyone.

17 minutes ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

Thanks, Shadetree, and don't worry I won't skimp on parts...my other money pit is an old Land Rover Discovery II....you don't skimp on parts on those either. 😉  I won't be touching the guage thing until the rest of it is back up to snuff...that's in the "extras" category for sure.  Thanks for the suggestions on the oil, rebuild kit etc.

been restoring atvs ( mostly ) for going on 30 yrs now, i tend to know alot about what to use, and what not to use !..lol. currently trying to finish up a 1991 trx300fw, you can see it in this section, then right behind this, i have a 2004 trx450fm that will get a '' complete over haul '' in the making during the next few months. be warned !, nothing is cheap about restoring an atv, parts prices add up very quickly !!.

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well that explains your electrical expertise.

Lucas, the Lord of Darkness, will make an expert out of anyone.

LOL...true that.  on a side note this past weekend I had a guy come to me saying he'd put a new radiator fan assembly w/module, in his vehicle, as well as a new coolant temp sensor, new thermostat, new radiator (total about $650) and it was still overheating and the fans even though new weren't coming on.  I spent 3 hours, charged him $100 and told him he needed a $1000.00 Intelligent Driving Module for his car...he asked if I was sure, I said I'm sure enough that if it doesn't fix it I'll give you the $1000.00.  He got the module replaced and all is good.  I told him next time, maybe instead of throwing parts at it, you should bring it to someone who will diagnose the problem, not just change parts for you.  I also told him to try and grab a salvage part for $100 rather than dealer for new if he could find one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shadetree said:

been restoring atvs ( mostly ) for going on 30 yrs now, i tend to know alot about what to use, and what not to use !..lol. currently trying to finish up a 1991 trx300fw, you can see it in this section, then right behind this, i have a 2004 trx450fm that will get a '' complete over haul '' in the making during the next few months. be warned !, nothing is cheap about restoring an atv, parts prices add up very quickly !!.

Nice...I did a complete wiring restoration, carb replacement, and head gasket job on an early 90's Mule 2500 earlier this summer....had to rewire it by hand, couldn't find anywhere with a replacement harness...took about 2mo (in my off time/weekends)...added a horn circuit to it as well...he's a rancher and uses it to find/feed his cattle.  Oh and I gave him a 12v accessory outlet to charge his phone too. :-P 

Edited by JEFFSSSEI

one more question...are there any items steering, suspension, engine, etc. wise that are unique to this model year (it seems like most parts for the foreman 400 span a very broad year range)

15 minutes ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

one more question...are there any items steering, suspension, engine, etc. wise that are unique to this model year (it seems like most parts for the foreman 400 span a very broad year range)

you can look up the yr/make model on partzilla.com, click on each part , and once you do that, it will show you all yrs/makes/models that part also fits as well :-).

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

you can look up the yr/make model on partzilla.com, click on each part , and once you do that, it will show you all yrs/makes/models that part also fits as well :-).

ok, thanks Shadetree!

1 minute ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

ok, thanks Shadetree!

you are welcome :-).

99 I believe is last year for TRX400FW; my work 98 has an instrument cluster with a mechanical speedo; my work 99 450S has a digital speedo.

i know the Fan Control Units will swap back n forth

1 minute ago, Goober said:

99 I believe is last year for TRX400FW; my work 98 has an instrument cluster with a mechanical speedo; my work 99 450S has a digital speedo.

i know the Fan Control Units will swap back n forth

Awesome thanks!

Looking at the parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv you’ll see 97 was first year for speedo on the TRX400 Foreman. it also has the three idiot lights on the handlebar cover

2 hours ago, Goober said:

99 I believe is last year for TRX400FW

2003 was the last year for the TRX400FW , in 2004 they had a TRX400FA - AT and a TRX400GPSCAPE - AT 

1997-2003 all used this speedo 

image.png

Thank y'all, but to rephrase I was trying to find out what model first got the digital/lcd gauge, doesn't have to be from the foreman TRX 400FW Can be from the other foreman lines, 450 etc. Just the earliest one to have it.

1 hour ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

Thank y'all, but to rephrase I was trying to find out what model first got the digital/lcd gauge, doesn't have to be from the foreman TRX 400FW Can be from the other foreman lines, 450 etc. Just the earliest one to have it.

the trx400's never had a digital meter...only the trx450's had them.