JEFFSSSEI

1995 Foreman 400 "Barn Find" restoration project, (welcome ideas/suggestions)

7 hours ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

Ah ok so I should look for the earliest model year in the 450 line to have one then.  Thanks!

I am trying to figure out why that matters to you ? ---- do you think you will stick a digital meter off a 450 on a 400 and it would work ?  

Possibly with a little engineering, need to study the wiring diagrams and check on a few other things before i'd say yes or no to that and before you call me crazy I do stuff like that every day at my job.

Edited by JEFFSSSEI

Ambitious project ---- Marines's saying goes something like , the difficult takes a little while , the impossible just a little longer ----- I always say anything thing is possible , but is it  always practical 

9 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Ambitious project ---- Marines's saying goes something like , the difficult takes a little while , the impossible just a little longer ----- I always say anything thing is possible , but is it  always practical 

Well I was air force, but my grandfather was a Marine, so I can say Semper Fi to that... Oh and who cares about practical! 🤪 😎

Edited by JEFFSSSEI
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

Ah ok so I should look for the earliest model year in the 450 line to have one then.  Thanks!

that would be 1998 for the trx450S.

Just now, shadetree said:

that would be 1998 for the trx450S.

Once again shadetree.... You rock😎🤠

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

Once again shadetree.... You rock😎🤠

i've had my hands on a few trx450S/FM lately, i know alot of about them. i have a 2004 trx450fm ( last year honda made this model ) currently on the back burner for a restoration right after i finish this 1991 trx300fw i am working on. then i will begin the tear down of the 2004 trx450fm for a complete restore. my '03 trx450fm i restored is in my collection, i use it mostly now instead of my 1989 trx350D foreman 4x4. the trx450fm are solid atv's, so is the trx400's, all great machines.

• Thanks 1

You know, there isn't a lot of difference in a 400 and 450.  Maybe swap a 450 wiring harness on, and possibly front/rear engine covers you might get something "plug and play" using parts from a 450.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

You know, there isn't a lot of difference in a 400 and 450.  Maybe swap a 450 wiring harness on, and possibly front/rear engine covers you might get something "plug and play" using parts from a 450.

Thank's I'll look into that as well. 😎

I don't think I'm going to put new bushings and ball joints into these a-arms... Think they're getting replaced.  Was originally going to bead blast them and re-powder coat them, but this just looks too rotted out to me.

20211016_173335.jpg

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

I don't think I'm going to put new bushings and ball joints into these a-arms... Think they're getting replaced.  Was originally going to bead blast them and re-powder coat them, but this just looks too rotted out to me.

20211016_173335.jpg

they do look rotted out to me also ----- you do know that the 4 arms are a thousand dollars new , $300+ for each upper and $200+ for each lower ----   I'd try to find used ---- I have some used 450 arms , the interchange doesn't show them fitting the 400 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I know (price), I'll probably keep an eye out on eBay for good used ones, I already have everything to rebuild them so I don't need new ones.

Power sports nation has some a-arms in stock.

They range in price from $15 to $25 bucks each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FInally got them all pulled off...the right side lower was equally rotted out, both uppers were ok...just need bead blasted, refinished and new bushings and ball joints (which I already have).  Slow and steady wins the race. 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

FInally got them all pulled off...the right side lower was equally rotted out, both uppers were ok...just need bead blasted, refinished and new bushings and ball joints (which I already have).  Slow and steady wins the race. 😎

the way your name is spelled, i can see ya coming of a bull, an yelling. im just full of bull myself.

welcome to the forums.

i got a different think to say, coming off of horses, or atvs; Oh hit's.. not spelled right, of course.... 😁

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

the way your name is spelled, i can see ya coming of a bull, an yelling. im just full of bull myself.

welcome to the forums.

i got a different think to say, coming off of horses, or atvs; Oh hit's.. not spelled right, of course.... 😁

It's because my car is a 03 Pontiac bonneville SSEI....aka...jeff's SSEI😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

got a little further on the restoration...A relative of a friend of mine did this for me.  A little before/after pics...For $50, I'd say I've found my new upholstery guy.  Super impressed with the quality for the price.

seat-before.jpg

Seat-after.jpg

Edited by JEFFSSSEI
  • Like 3

Looks good.  Recovering seats isn't too bad if the foam is in good shape.  If the foam has to be filled in/shaped/reformed it takes some skill to get it right.

• Like 2

Thanks...and yeah he replaced all the foam on it...he used an imitation leather material, looks good, but I will probably still buy a seat cover to put over it to protect it.

43 minutes ago, JEFFSSSEI said:

Thanks...and yeah he replaced all the foam on it...he used an imitation leather material, looks good, but I will probably still buy a seat cover to put over it to protect it.

If they replaced the foam you really got a bargain

• Thanks 1