DeTaylor

New Member - Looking for help

Hey everyone, I just picked up a 2000 Honda Foreman ES last night. She needs a lot of cosmetic work, but runs and drives like a champ. 

First project I want to tackle is the sun faded LCD screen. I’ve seen AKATV is the man for the job. I believe I can tackle this on my own, but not sure what/where to get the adhesive polarized film. Thanks all!

DD14C89B-8FC4-472A-AE19-E45C7FBACBF6.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi DeTaylor and welcome to the forum!

I was getting my polorizing film from Sunoptics overseas  (Japan)

Since Covid slowed down shipping and with all the import restrictions now and am currently looking for a

US source for quality film

You can take a shot with some of the China stuff online, but I have found it to be of very low quality

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1

Just now, AKATV said:

Hi DeTaylor and welcome to the forum!

I was getting my polorizing film from Sunoptics overseas  (Japan)

Since Covid slowed down shipping and all the import restrictions and am currently looking for a

US source for quality film

You can take a shot with some of the China stuff online, but I have found it to be of very low quality

I appreciate the input! 

• Like 1

Hey De welcome to the forum.  You wouldn't believe how many of the 1998-2001 450 ES Hondas are around this forum.  I think we should just start our own sub forum, gee whiz....lol

2 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Hey De welcome to the forum.  You wouldn't believe how many of the 1998-2001 450 ES Hondas are around this forum.  I think we should just start our own sub forum, gee whiz....lol

The more the merrier!

That Foreman looks pretty good, at least in your pic.....what's it need cosmetically?

Just now, bcsman said:

That Foreman looks pretty good, at least in your pic.....what's it need cosmetically?

All plastics are completely faded. Will be taking them off and painting them to bring them back to life. The rear frame has lots of surface rust so will be sanding and painting that as well. Lastly, the front and rear brackets are starting to rust. So lots of sanding and painting lol 

Just now, DeTaylor said:

All plastics are completely faded. Will be taking them off and painting them to bring them back to life. The rear frame has lots of surface rust so will be sanding and painting that as well. Lastly, the front and rear brackets are starting to rust. So lots of sanding and painting lol 

Well you should be happy the fenders are just faded and not cracked and broken like so many.  And surface rust on a 20 something year old ATV, not doing too bad.  My fenders are not cracked or broken but scratched, thinking about trying to polish to see if it helps.  

Just now, bcsman said:

Well you should be happy the fenders are just faded and not cracked and broken like so many.  And surface rust on a 20 something year old ATV, not doing too bad.  My fenders are not cracked or broken but scratched, thinking about trying to polish to see if it helps.  

Per my name, I actually detail vehicles. Was also going to see if polishing would bring any life back to the plastics. 

Just now, DeTaylor said:

Per my name, I actually detail vehicles. Was also going to see if polishing would bring any life back to the plastics. 

LMK how it works and what you used if you would please, I do have a dual action polisher to use.....

If you have time some evening I will be in chat, we usually have a few there to talk about different topics.  Chat is in the top MENU...

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 6:48 PM, bcsman said:

LMK how it works and what you used if you would please, I do have a dual action polisher to use.....

Polishing did a whole lot of nothing lol

I have used the Novus three step plastic polish. Bottle 1 is cleaner, 2 is a fine scratch remover and 3 is a heavy scratch remover. You can buy the bottles separately — I usually use 1 and 2. you will want to try it in inconspicuous place or use a junk fender . Novus was meant to be used with a DA but I don’t really know how to use one. I apply by hand and works well.  
For rust on frame, i sand off the rough places and dab a layer of Rustoleum Rust Reformer. This will help treat the rust spots.

Make sure you download the service manual and perform all the service items.

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Goober said:

I have used the Novus three step plastic polish. Bottle 1 is cleaner, 2 is a fine scratch remover and 3 is a heavy scratch remover. You can buy the bottles separately — I usually use 1 and 2. you will want to try it in inconspicuous place or use a junk fender . Novus was meant to be used with a DA but I don’t really know how to use one. I apply by hand and works well.  
For rust on frame, i sand off the rough places and dab a layer of Rustoleum Rust Reformer. This will help treat the rust spots.

Make sure you download the service manual and perform all the service items.

Hey Goober, thanks for all the input! If you ever want some help on how to use a DA Id be more than happy to guide you on where to start.