jeepwm69

Case cleaning (anything work other than starter fluid)?

Cleaned out a really nasty TRX500 crankcase yesterday morning.  Took 4 cans of starter fluid to get them clean (just the middle cases, still have to do the front and rear covers, and the internals).

Wife complains about the smell of the starter fluid, and even after a shower, and 12 hours later she said she could smell it when I exhale, so probably not great for my lungs either LOL.

Anyone found anything else to use cleaning crankcases out?  I've tried brake parts cleaner but it just doesn't cut the crud like starter fluid,  My parts washer does not either. 

I normally put the case 1/2 in the parts washer to loosen stuff up, get as much off as I can using the pump there, but then still have to resort to starter fluid to get them spic and span.

Anything better out there to use?  Cheaper would be a bonus, since starter fluid has gone from $2/can to $3/can in the last year too.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Cleaned out a really nasty TRX500 crankcase yesterday morning.  Took 4 cans of starter fluid to get them clean (just the middle cases, still have to do the front and rear covers, and the internals).

Wife complains about the smell of the starter fluid, and even after a shower, and 12 hours later she said she could smell it when I exhale, so probably not great for my lungs either LOL.

Anyone found anything else to use cleaning crankcases out?  I've tried brake parts cleaner but it just doesn't cut the crud like starter fluid,  My parts washer does not either. 

I normally put the case 1/2 in the parts washer to loosen stuff up, get as much off as I can using the pump there, but then still have to resort to starter fluid to get them spic and span.

Anything better out there to use?  Cheaper would be a bonus, since starter fluid has gone from $2/can to $3/can in the last year too.

go to wally world, buy a spray bottle and gallon of super clean, i do not dilute it !. be warned !!, it will burn a tad on raw skin, spec with a cut ..lol. but it will do what you want it to do.

• Like 1

I start with just parts cleaner/ mineral spirits in the sure shot rechargeable can and then only 3m brake cleaner to finish. It cut's down the use of brake cleaner for me and takes care of the heavy stuff that needs flushed. The sure shot cans are pretty cool as you can adjust the pressure in them so stuff isn't blowing back at you as bad. They are spendy though when you first look at them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, toodeep said:

I start with just parts cleaner/ mineral spirits in the sure shot rechargeable can and then only 3m brake cleaner to finish. It cut's down the use of brake cleaner for me and takes care of the heavy stuff that needs flushed. The sure shot cans are pretty cool as you can adjust the pressure in them so stuff isn't blowing back at you as bad. They are spendy though when you first look at them.

So which one do you have? 

That sounds like what I need to go with.

https://www.amazon.com/Vaper-19426-Refillable-Aluminum-Bottle/dp/B07NPKHLKF/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=sure+shot+sprayer&qid=1633712374&sr=8-21

https://www.amazon.com/Sure-Shot-Anodized-Aluminum-Adjustable/dp/B00NFFBAD8/ref=pd_bxgy_1/145-7883811-0578844?pd_rd_w=xVsUQ&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=H8WDVV8ARX1BBMNP2PQQ&pd_rd_r=1040ca51-366a-49a9-b3e4-b0fb83af6400&pd_rd_wg=5UWE6&pd_rd_i=B00NFFBAD8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Vaper-19419-Spray-Non-Aerosol-Sprayer/dp/B0035FH906/ref=pd_bxgy_2/145-7883811-0578844?pd_rd_w=xVsUQ&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=H8WDVV8ARX1BBMNP2PQQ&pd_rd_r=1040ca51-366a-49a9-b3e4-b0fb83af6400&pd_rd_wg=5UWE6&pd_rd_i=B0035FH906&psc=1

Mines like the 3rd one, the red metal can. I use mine just about every day so it's saved me some $$ on cleaners.

• Thanks 1

get a 20 gallon parts washer like I have for my saws. It just sits up on my work bench end and when i'm not using it, the lid is closed. I don't run solvent through mine though, I use MEAN GREAN/SIMPLE GREEN, basically a strong degreaser/detergent to prevent fading plastics and rubber.

It's hard to go wrong with this especially if you break down more than 1 engine a year.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-gallon-parts-washer-with-pump-60769.html?_br_psugg_q=parts+washer

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sled_22 said:

get a 20 gallon parts washer like I have for my saws. It just sits up on my work bench end and when i'm not using it, the lid is closed. I don't run solvent through mine though, I use MEAN GREAN/SIMPLE GREEN, basically a strong degreaser/detergent to prevent fading plastics and rubber.

It's hard to go wrong with this especially if you break down more than 1 engine a year.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-gallon-parts-washer-with-pump-60769.html?_br_psugg_q=parts+washer

he has a parts washer, he is trying to locate some good cleaner fluid, i use the stuff from tractor supply, 40 something bucks for 5 gallons, worth every dime.

• Like 2

I too , use that PSC1000 part cleaner from Tractor Supply ,  works good ... 

• Like 1

I misread the parts washer....

I've had good luck with "totally awesome" it's a citrus based cleaner/degreaser that's supposed to be similar to pinesol but comes in a strength that's meant to be diluted in water. I've soaked some really bad parts in that stuff (not diluted) and it's broke a lot of tough grease/sludge out. You can find it at the dollar store usually for $2-$3. Simple green works well too but it's like $20+ bucks for a gallon of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sled_22 said:

I misread the parts washer....

I've had good luck with "totally awesome" it's a citrus based cleaner/degreaser that's supposed to be similar to pinesol but comes in a strength that's meant to be diluted in water. I've soaked some really bad parts in that stuff (not diluted) and it's broke a lot of tough grease/sludge out. You can find it at the dollar store usually for $2-$3. Simple green works well too but it's like $20+ bucks for a gallon of it.

nothing beats PCS1000 from tractor supply, i've been doing this for almost 30 yrs now, i've tried it all, when it comes to nasty, dirty, muddy stuff ?, PCS1000 is the best stuff out there. only other thing that comes close to cutting grime off an engine ?, ie easy-off over cleaner.

11 minutes ago, shadetree said:

nothing beats PCS1000 from tractor supply, i've been doing this for almost 30 yrs now, i've tried it all, when it comes to nasty, dirty, muddy stuff ?, PCS1000 is the best stuff out there. only other thing that comes close to cutting grime off an engine ?, ie easy-off over cleaner.

Well since the question has been answered you should lock this frenching thread. I apologize for not coming up with a good enough, price orientated, non-aerosol, smell combative, option.

I have the PCS1000 in my HF parts washer.  It does ok at loosening stuff, but then if I hit it with aerosol starter fluid it gets the cases spotless.   Might just be because it has more "zip" to it coming out of the aerosol can rather that just a slow stream through the parts washer pump, but the starter fluid works great getting every little speck off while the parts washer seems to be better and just loosening stuff up.  I can't "blast" stuff out of the nooks and crannies in a case with the parts washer pump like I can with an aerosol can of starter fluid.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.  @sled_22 I'll have to try that totally awesome stuff.  Simple Green works but it's $$$.  Shadetree has also recommended Superclean which works well too.  I like to have multiple options as some stuff works better than others depending on what kind of funk I'm trying to remove.

Looks like the thingymabob that toodeep posted might fit the bill on my engine cases.  I'll try that.  Thanks   @toodeep

@jeepwm69 They make siphon guns that you could use with the parts washer and your air compressor to give a high power blast of solvent. I haven't used them in years because the shop was always smaller and it would give off a solvent mist/fog. I never used a regulator on them though so that probably would have helped. I got the sure shot in hopes it was more like an aerosol can and it is but I can also control the pressure in the can to control any back splatter that might happen. I've been happy with it for my needs. If I had the room and a lot of extra money I would have a spray wash cabinet because those things work awesome. I have neither though so I make do with what i can. lol

• Like 1

If your shop has a decent pressure washer, you can build a wash cabinet for cheap and se the pw for the spray action, you just have to filter the bottom water and recover it. It's nice with the big hot water units, but the hw set-up needs a water cool down tank so you dont cook the pump.

2 hours ago, TBRider said:

If your shop has a decent pressure washer, you can build a wash cabinet for cheap and se the pw for the spray action, you just have to filter the bottom water and recover it. It's nice with the big hot water units, but the hw set-up needs a water cool down tank so you dont cook the pump.

Maybe someday, but my "shop" is more of a shed.  Certainly not suited for storage AND working, which is currently how I'm trying to use it.