moecarama

Winch selection '91 TRXFWD

I was in local Harbor Freight Store the other day and saw a small winch and roller guide for cable, along with some sorta universal mounting plate. was considering mounting a winch on my utility trailer but, now I'm considering installing a winch on my 300. For those of you who have installed a aftermarket system what brand, weight capacity, hard wired remote or wireless? 

Thanks in advance.

I looked at the same winch moe. I came home and got to looking at the local Orschelen's carries the Champion Brand its a 3500lb winch and is a few more dollars but it has a 2 year warranty not 90 like the harbor freight winch. as far as a mounting bracket I am going to listen to these guys and order a KFI mounting bracket.

Personally I avoid unknown brands, they're usually China based and turn out to be junk!

Stick to Warn or Superwinch and you won't go far wrong. As for winch mounts, I'm pretty sure SATV does a mount, that's 'super ATV'.

Just now, jeffo21 said:

I looked at the same winch moe. I came home and got to looking at the local Orschelen's carries the Champion Brand its a 3500lb winch and is a few more dollars but it has a 2 year warranty not 90 like the harbor freight winch. as far as a mounting bracket I am going to listen to these guys and order a KFI mounting bracket.

Ok making a special note on the KFI mount and the SATV as recommended by Sam

Just now, SamUK said:

Personally I avoid unknown brands, they're usually China based and turn out to be junk!

Stick to Warn or Superwinch and you won't go far wrong. As for winch mounts, I'm pretty sure SATV does a mount, that's 'super ATV'.

Thanks about to start doing a online search for pricing.

you wont find many winches with many mounting plates thats an easy plug-n-play for your year model. If you can put a warn pro vantage 2500-s, KFI roller fairlead, KFI mounting plate under the front fender ?, then this is what you should do. dont waste your time and money on china junk !!!. I dont know about super winch ?, I only use what I like, warn all the way !!.

• Like 1

moe' , I have a 92 300 ( 1st gen ) I looked high and low for a winch plate to drop right in  , finally found one they said would fit and it was a Warn plate , but it didn't go right in and it took some grinding , cutting , drilling and a bit of imagination to make it work , I am going to take a look and see if I can dig up a couple of pics for you 

Viper Max worked well for me too.  The Viper Classic I bought didn't last long at all.  Warn is the best but I have a hard time paying new prices when I can get an 8K Warn Jeep winch cheaper.  I've picked up several used Warns lately for $100 or less

21 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Viper Max worked well for me too.  The Viper Classic I bought didn't last long at all.  Warn is the best but I have a hard time paying new prices when I can get an 8K Warn Jeep winch cheaper.  I've picked up several used Warns lately for $100 or less

any chance you got a warn parts winch ?, the warn winch that came on this '88 trx350D foreman 4x4 has a broken knob/lever inside it in the middle, plastic..go figure !..lol. i'll have to see what model it is ?, but I am pretty sure its old !. and a 1500 lb at that !!, on this heavy atv, with all the heavy metal that was added to it ?, no wonder the winch died !..lol.

@shadetree, I may have the parts that you need to fix your winch. Can you take a pic of the knob/endcap? Or post the model number of your Warn?

4 hours ago, retro said:
View Comments
Comments are available for this post.

@shadetree, I may have the parts that you need to fix your winch. Can you take a pic of the knob/endcap? Or post the model number of your Warn?

@retro , let me get a pic, and see if I can find a model number on this thing, and i'll get back to ya !.

• Like 1

@retro , here is what ya asked for :-). In 3rd pic, down inside the middle, there is a 3 prong part, its part of the cam, it raises or pushes the rod in, or lets out when you turn the outside knob, the tangs are all broken, cept one, plastic !!..lol. the last pic. yikes, it was seized solid, got it out, cleaned up, this thing has been under water a few times !..lol.

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

That'll buff out... 🙂

I think I have that knob stashed around here somewhere. Its in good condition, just gotta figure out where I put it. I'll get back with ya tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, retro said:

That'll buff out... 🙂

I think I have that knob stashed around here somewhere. Its in good condition, just gotta figure out where I put it. I'll get back with ya tomorrow.

its not the outside bro, its the 3 prong piece that sits down inside, you can see whats left of this one in the pic ^^^, two of the three tangs are broken off. no rush on it bro, I did get the armature out, cleaned up, it would not even move when I put power to it..lol.

• Like 1

seems warn no longer goes back far enough for the A1500 ?, warn site wont let me link part break down ?..bah !!!..lol.

39 minutes ago, shadetree said:

warn site wont let me link part break down ?..bah !!!..lol.

I might have the parts fiche as well. 🙂

2 minutes ago, retro said:

I might have the parts fiche as well. 🙂

part I need is the cam follower. the A2000 shows a thrust plate , but seeing how I can't pull up the fich for this older model, I dont know if it calls for it or not ?. from the looks of it, I only need the cam follower, 3-prong piece ?.

Yep, I'm pretty sure I have one of those in like new condition. Just gotta find it.... 🙂

Thanks guys for the info, I will probably get a Superwinch, but need the illusive winch mounting plate it is practically non-existent Warn #28878. I will probably have to get it fabricated ;does anyone have the  the dimensions and angle for '91 TRX300FW winch mount?

4 hours ago, moecarama said:

Thanks guys for the info, I will probably get a Superwinch, but need the illusive winch mounting plate it is practically non-existent Warn #28878. I will probably have to get it fabricated ;does anyone have the  the dimensions and angle for '91 TRX300FW winch mount?

its a simple design. the plate just needs to be wide enough to go across the down tubes, then angle out over the front bumper tubes. if it were me, i'd buy a piece of 3/16 plate metal big enough to be wide enough, and long enough to mount the winch. buy the winch first !!!, then get under the front of your atv, measure how wide, and how long the metal should be ( rough demission's ) when bent to allow for the fairlead to mount. then out a ways, make another bend straight up to allow a place to mount the fairlead.

when I bought my warn pro vantage 2500-s for my '89 trx350D foreman 4x4, no one has ever made a mounting plate for this atv model ?, sooooo..I just had a piece of 3/16 steel plate cut wide and long enough to weld it to the frame tubes, pre-drilled the winch mounting holes, walla..problem solved !. 

whatever you decide to do ?, DO NOT MOUNT THE WINCH TO ANYWHERE ON JUST THE FRONT BUMPER OR RACK !!!!!!!, these area's can not handle the load when pulling ?, its always best to mount a winch plate to the frame !.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and caution statement  "Shadetree" …..I should have checked for reply's earlier. I was over by the steel salvage yard today probably could have picked something up cheap and had it cut / bent.

• Like 1