Sonia A

No Spark on my 1987 Honda Forman Trx 350D 4X4

No spark on my 87 Honda Forman trx 350D I  bought  a new cdi box, a new coil, new fuel pump, new solenoid and a new regulator rectifier and still no spark🤷‍♀️ can someone please help me figure out what's wrong? Thank you.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sonia A said:

No spark on my 87 Honda Forman trx 350D I  bought  a new cdi box, a new coil, new fuel pump, new solenoid and a new regulator rectifier and still no spark🤷‍♀️ can someone please help me figure out what's wrong? Thank you.

my first question is, where did you buy the c.d.i. ?, i'm asking , cuz last time i checked awhile back, ALL OEM C.D.I. 's WERE DISCONTINUED FROM HONDA !?!, so..you must have got you're hands on an after market china c.d.i...correct ??..if this is the case ?, then yeah..it will never spark !. if it IS oem from honda ?, then let us know...we'll figure it out for you :-).

35 minutes ago, shadetree said:

my first question is, where did you buy the c.d.i. ?, i'm asking , cuz last time i checked awhile back, ALL OEM C.D.I. 's WERE DISCONTINUED FROM HONDA !?!, so..you must have got you're hands on an after market china c.d.i...correct ??..if this is the case ?, then yeah..it will never spark !. if it IS oem from honda ?, then let us know...we'll figure it out for you 

I got it from Amazon 

1 hour ago, Sonia A said:

I got it from Amazon 

then you got china junk !. 

15 minutes ago, Sonia A said:

So I need to get new cdi box?

again, you can not get a brand new oem c.d.i. from honda, they are discontinued today, all you can do is try to locate a used c.d.i. from ebay, and it HAS to be for that year model !.

ya might find one, in honda part out sites. junk yards so to speak. the epray thing mentioned, is worth a look..

Ok first. We need to know more about this quad. Did you has this ATV running before? What condition before you lost spark?

Download the service manual here.

Are all the parts you bought from Amazon?My suggestion is to put all the OEM parts back on even the CDI. 

then we can start troubleshooting 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Goober said:

Actually @Sonia Asix in stock listed at Rocky Mountain atv $140

sonia should jump on that real quick like !.

On 10/10/2021 at 5:37 PM, Goober said:

Ok first. We need to know more about this quad. Did you has this ATV running before? What condition before you lost spark?

Are all the parts you bought from Amazon?My suggestion is to put all the OEM parts back on even the CDI. 

On 10/10/2021 at 5:37 PM, Goober said:

Yes it Was running fine I had recently bought it the person who sold it to me had put a start button from the solenoid and also had a universal fuel pump on it but it was running fine then it started not wanting to start some times to not starting at all then stopped having spark completely.  I put all the old parts back on still no spark.

On 10/10/2021 at 2:08 PM, shadetree said:

my first question is, where did you buy the c.d.i. ?, i'm asking , cuz last time i checked awhile back, ALL OEM C.D.I. 's WERE DISCONTINUED FROM HONDA !?!, so..you must have got you're hands on an after market china c.d.i...correct ??..if this is the case ?, then yeah..it will never spark !. if it IS oem from honda ?, then let us know...we'll figure it out for you :-).

I have question is all aftermarket part non workable? How about aftermarket stator from a quad   dealer place? 

20 minutes ago, Sonia A said:

I have question is all aftermarket part non workable? How about aftermarket stator from a quad   dealer place? 

unless oem parts are not around ?, after market is the way to go. oem pumps are still being sold by honda !. before you rush out and buy an oem fuel pump from honda ?, run a service test like the service manual says to do on the fuel cut-off relay !. right rear tire, above and behind right rear tire, black box, fuel cut-off relay is stuffed inside there !.

• Like 1

Good u mentioned those other mods. I don’t trust aftermarket fuel pumps or the starter switch to the solenoid thing. It trips up the troubleshooting efforts. There are a bunch of things I would check but Shadetree said easiest. Fuel pump flow test in service manual 

normally I would suspect the CDI. Did you consider buying the new OEM at Rocky Mountain atv?

Sometimes heating a CDI can revive it. take the oem CDI; inspect it for cracks, bubbles and loose pins. Clean both connectors with contact cleaner. heat CDI in an oven connector side up. No more than 200F; at least three hours. Let cool completely before you reinstall. Dress both connectors with permatex dielectric grease. 

Your question about aftermarket stator is good one. There is no exciter coil on this one; only a pulse generator. You can easily check resistance values at the Yellow, Blue/Yellow connectors under the right side cover. This is explained in the manual 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything about the most common issue with these, the kill switch. They corrode over time and loose contact so I would test that if you haven't. When buying parts make sure your getting them for the D/Foreman model and not the Fourtrax. They are different machines even being so similar.

• Like 1