RMcNair

Electric shift problems

A friend has an 07 Rancher 420 ES that won't shift into any gear. Started this yesterday when we were checking feeders and game cameras. I was able to manually shift it into 1st but it won't shift on it's own. So what shout be checked first? I'm fairly new to 4 wheelers. I've got mechanical sense but not much electrical sense.

start by checking to see if the battery is fully charged ?, then down load the service manual from the site here. chances are, either the battery is low ?, or the angle sensor is bad ?, or the factory grease needs cleaned out , and factory grease replaced with fresh grease at the transfer gear area.

• Like 1

Battery is fully charged it happened after we were checking feeders and cameras. Starts right up it just wouldn't go into gear with the buttons. We could put it in gear with the little hand shift lever he has under his seat. When putting it gear manually it went in easily. will definitely show him the cleaning link also.

Edited by RMcNair

Try battery load test and clutch adjustment; easiest checks.

If battery is slightest bit weak this can prevent shifting. 

Adjust clutch also; sometimes when you’re upshifting and you hit the downshift button they really don’t like it.