shrade

Forum Hunters?

On 2/28/2020 at 12:00 AM, Freedomflyer said:

We do have a great area, I feel extremely blessed to live where I live. I'm not as avid a hunter as most, but take advantage of opportunities to get onto private land whenever I can.  I'm too old to go chasing those critters over mountain ridges and through the trees. This bull I shot this year is the first one I've ever taken, I took a young one because I wanted it to be good eating.  Like I said the cows are always better eating.  Interesting how they started out as a plains animal and got pushed into the mountains, seems like they adapted very well, they can sure cover a lot of ground.

I vacationed in Montana and Wyoming last year with the family. Beautiful country to say the least, truly one of the greatest creations. I would love to live out there someday, maybe when the kids are all grown and gone.

I got a 6x6 elk back in the late 80s on a hunt out of Rifle, CO. We were camped in the mountains for 2 weeks that trip, wonderful experience that I'll never forget.

• Like 1

River fishing trip for catfish last week—super fun! Five guys and three quads—had to pack in all our stuff so i took the CanAm 2-up. Very comfortable for two adult riders and fishing gear if you’re careful.

3B2E5D83-7D1B-4483-A95D-1C3737B0DDA7.jpeg

• Like 2

Checked my cameras the other day. Yet to see one of these during the day when they were in season.

MFDC6215.JPG

MFDC6222.JPG

• Like 4

Anyone getting ready for deer season??  1st day if rifle season here is October 17th. 

• Like 1

Our archery Deer season opens on October 1st. I may or may not be able to hunt it this year... dependent in free time which I don't ever seem to have any during the fall months. The Bear opener begins next month and I am involved in helping two friends get set up for that though. If they are both successful early on my odds should improve for the archery opener. Our firearms season opens November 15th but I rarely am ever interested in hunting that one.... its more a social event for me, since my friends are all in their hunting camps surrounding my area for the opener.

• Like 1

@retro I agree with getting together with friends is always good. We don't hunt far from the house, but it is always a good time.

• Like 1

We are going to the shack this weekend. Already been there several times. Gotta finish wood shed addition, mow 5 miles of trail and put in culverts to replace the ones the loggers took with them and left ditches across the trail. Our bow and grouse seasons open September 19th and rifle deer season November 7th.

• Like 1

Dove season will open here weekend of Labor Day.  That's always a lot of fun.  Lots of socializing and fast shooting, followed by a cookout.

• Like 4

@jeepwm69 what would you say Dove tastes like? I've never ate one, or though of it before.... 

I'm concerned about my hunting season this year.. Seeing how I damaged my shoulder, I'm not sure I'll be able to shoot my 7mm or .45-70 this year.. Only rifle I could use is my SKS 7.62x39 as it doesn't kick because it's semi... shots would have to be limited to 100yards.... Deer season opens up Sept 1st in some areas... 

• Like 1

Dove is dark meat.  Kinda like duck but not as strong/gamey.  Not much meat to them.  A bird is a bite.  You yank the breast out, and I normally cut the meat off the breastbone, wrap it around a jalapeno with some cream cheese, and then wrap that in bacon and grill it.

• Like 5

yeah... but for a small bite it sure is delious.... isn't duck just a bit on the greasy side ? (never had any myself) 

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah... but for a small bite it sure is delious.... isn't duck just a bit on the greasy side ? (never had any myself) 

I've never found duck greasy... but maybe it's the way you cook it?... Duck is dark meat as well. I prefer Mallards as they are larger... 

• Like 2

thanks .... i like the dark meat better.... i might just have try some...next time my brother-in-law goes duck hunting... 

8 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Depends on the duck.  Mallards and wood ducks are about all I eat, and I use that same jalapeno/cream cheese/bacon on those.

I had Muscovy one time and that was a nasty, greasy, tough duck.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Depends on the duck.  Mallards and wood ducks are about all I eat, and I use that same jalapeno/cream cheese/bacon on those.

I had Muscovy one time and that was a nasty, greasy, tough duck.

shoe leather probably be good that way, albeit a bit chewy. 🙂

Dove is good deep fried, like chicken, also. Cold beer, case of shells, good dog, birds flying, don't get much better than that. About the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

• Like 4

Heading up the Alaska Highway on Sept. 12th.  

Mile 160.  General open season for buffalo.

Moose and elk are the usual fare.

G-bear are plentiful.

Good luck to my fellow hunters,

be safe, and have fun.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Macarena Man said:

Heading up the Alaska Highway on Sept. 12th.  

Mile 160.  General open season for buffalo.

Moose and elk are the usual fare.

G-bear are plentiful.

Good luck to my fellow hunters,

be safe, and have fun.

Hi , MM, good to hear from  you , G-Bear sounds like something I might want to hunt , hunt something that can hunt back 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KoolBreeze said:

shoe leather probably be good that way, albeit a bit chewy. 🙂

Dove is good deep fried, like chicken, also. Cold beer, case of shells, good dog, birds flying, don't get much better than that. About the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Hi Koolbreeze , where you been at !!!       Teal breast wrapped in bacon , might rank up with the raunchiest wild game I ever sunk my teeth into , you should have seen my wife's face when she took a bite and was looking to spit it out and be polite 

MM , I just had to take me a look at Mile 160 and see what G-bear territory looks like , interesting area !!! 

fullsizeoutput_d21.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Hi Koolbreeze , where you been at !!!       Teal breast wrapped in bacon , might rank up with the raunchiest wild game I ever sunk my teeth into , you should have seen my wife's face when she took a bite and was looking to spit it out and be polite 

Been overloaded with work and honeydo's lately. But still drop in some.

Never had teal, but dad and I grilled'ed a coon one time. That was probably my worst wild game experiment. I use to be in a hunting club that had a big skeet shoot every year the week before dove season opened. Every year we'd roast a whole hog in a big steel pan underground. That was some pretty good eating but one year we decided to try a goat the same way. Nope, not a wise decision. Awefullest tasting stuff I ever put in my mouth.Must have been a billy. haha.

• Like 2

I'd like to kill every dove that lives around my house but would get arrested cause I live in town. Their "Song" drives me batty! Same sound over and over and over! Can't stand it.

The guy who owns the property where I shot my elk last year sent me this pic yesterday, this is the exact area I shot mine. Good sign. Put in for antelope but didn't get drawn, just got a check from the FWP returning my money😕. Wss looking forward to maybe shooting on this year.

imagejpeg_0(7).jpg

• Like 4

good to see you again MM... i bet those birds are aggravating when you sleep with your windows up, i feel the same about cactus wrens.... very bothersome birds... we used to not have them around here... until hurricane katrina made land ... then fire ants wrens , and armadillos moved in... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KoolBreeze said:

Been overloaded with work and honeydo's lately. But still drop in some.

Never had teal, but dad and I grilled'ed a coon one time. That was probably my worst wild game experiment. I use to be in a hunting club that had a big skeet shoot every year the week before dove season opened. Every year we'd roast a whole hog in a big steel pan underground. That was some pretty good eating but one year we decided to try a goat the same way. Nope, not a wise decision. Awefullest tasting stuff I ever put in my mouth.Must have been a billy. haha.

I know  a lot of people who love both coon and goat , not calling no names , but we have a few right here on atvhonda --------  I have ate both , like anything if the right person cooks it , it can be good , wrong person cook it or was improperly prepared it can be bad -------  coon needs to have all the musk glands removed , like 16 of them ,  I ate it cooked in the oven with some sweet potatoes and it is not on my top 10 favorites , but I'd eat it  ---to me goat is like hog , if you got a male , it is hard to get rid of that taste like they smell 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

I'd like to kill every dove that lives around my house but would get arrested cause I live in town. Their "Song" drives me batty! Same sound over and over and over! Can't stand it.

The guy who owns the property where I shot my elk last year sent me this pic yesterday, this is the exact area I shot mine. Good sign. Put in for antelope but didn't get drawn, just got a check from the FWP returning my money😕. Wss looking forward to maybe shooting on this year.

imagejpeg_0(7).jpg

Dove breast gumbo , yummmmm ! 

On 8/25/2020 at 7:42 AM, Fishfiles said:

---to me goat is like hog , if you got a male , it is hard to get rid of that taste like they smell 

I got a couple meat goats last year —wethers (castrated when bucklings). Meat is not stinky at all.  Mature goats i heard you need to marinate in a little vinegar to overcome the stinks. 

goat chop, legs, shoulder : season, braise, then simmer covered with liquid ( i prefer veg stock) for 2-3 hours. Then usually Tikka Simmer sauce or other curry paste. You could do goat chili too

im at the lake fishing for Pike on a fly. Got a Hobie Float Cat fishing the cattail edges

brought some goat burger for dinner.

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2