shrade

Forum Hunters?

I know this is the hunting page , we talkin about pike and this looks like a form of hunting to me , is this legal ??? 

• Haha 1

In PA you can only spear what are considered non game fish like carp and suckers.  Definitely not legal here. Maybe legal in some  other states.

• Like 2

Tomorrow is opening day for deer with rifle in a few zones as well as bear!

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I know this is the hunting page , we talkin about pike and this looks like a form of hunting to me , is this legal ??? 

It's legal in Minnesota in the winter. Alot like sitting on a deer stand.

• Like 1

Wow that guy is dropping hammer on those fish. Ive tried to spear carp before, you gotta hit em hard with that gig—and it better be sharp.

it was near 90 two days ago i started fishing a small pond with a big Pike problem. I was fishing around an old collapsed ice ramp with floating line and a weighted leech pattern. Several small bass and sunfish 
reeling in I remember pike will follow all the way to the boat, so i keep jigging. I see the lure come in with at least a 3 foot pike alongside. He was not even impressed—spots me on the cat and just watches. 
stormed last night —46F—and no fish biting today.

raining this evening so i put the boat in the truck and will have to tie something impressive for next time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PROV said:

It's legal in Minnesota in the winter. Alot like sitting on a deer stand.

Night time bow fishing is big here , the have Charter Services that specialize in it  ----- I would have to read our  regulations again , but think there is a No Spear reference , it might just be on certain game fish ---- CRS , I use to know the Regulations like a Brooklyn Mob Lawyer 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 7:29 PM, Fishfiles said:

MM , I just had to take me a look at Mile 160 and see what G-bear territory looks like , interesting area !!! 

We will have a buffalo tag too.  It's an open season on them in an area on the west side of the Alaska Highway.  There is no season on G-bear anymore in BC.  The man/bear incidents are rising yearly.  The country also has a high wolf population.  Yellowstone want/need more?  Ours are healthy and hungry . . . . 😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m heading out camping this long week end. I’ll be hoping for some Partridge, & Bear if I see one... 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Macarena Man said:

We will have a buffalo tag too.  It's an open season on them in an area on the west side of the Alaska Highway.  There is no season on G-bear anymore in BC.  The man/bear incidents are rising yearly.  The country also has a high wolf population.  Yellowstone want/need more?  Ours are healthy and hungry . . . . 😊

And well feed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Macarena Man said:

We will have a buffalo tag too.  It's an open season on them in an area on the west side of the Alaska Highway.  😊

Ta'tunk'ka :  No animals were harmed or killed during the filming of this movie , LOL 

My buddy's son got this nice bear two days ago. 343# dressed weight.

IMG_4463.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

• Like 5

That will make a nice rug !!!    What is the best way to eat bear , ground to sausage  or maybe stew ?  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wheeler said:

That’s a nice one for sure! Bow or Rifle? 

Gun. Didn't feel like chasing one that was bow shot in that jungle in the dark.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

That will make a nice rug !!!    What is the best way to eat bear , ground to sausage  or maybe stew ?  

All of the above plus I've had bear steak cooked in butter and onions and it was great.

• Like 3

Could of nailed this guy this morning. Sleeping inside camper while wife was reading her book. I woke up to my male rotty lying on the floor huffing.. windows were open just a crack. Wife opens blind to see this guy. I have a bear tag.. wife wouldn’t let me have a rug this am lol. I scared him off with air horn & SKS... 

CC1F9B05-E56F-44C1-893E-72F1D46707D1.jpeg

F587FA99-CE9D-4DD8-92FB-AA7C81B3B2F7.jpeg

0BCE5B2C-A9FB-4555-9D59-43960D1B66AB.jpeg

• Like 5

On 9/5/2020 at 5:10 AM, Fishfiles said:

Have had it every way possible . . . . like it stewed the best.  Whole bear is cut for stew meat.

• Like 2

Well crazy story.. at about 620pm wife & I cooking supper in the camper. I go outside to take my Rotties outside pee. I get to the fire pit & look to my left, ole bear walking rite at me. I yell bear! He take off into bush, I throw dogs in camper (thank god they didn’t see him) grab gun & go in pursuit.. I hear a branch snap & look to my left, there he is maybe 60 yards or so thru the trees. I took a shoot with the SKS loaded with Hornady 123g SST. Bear takes off like a corvette thru the woods. I gave chase, but hit !, no blood, hair or dead bear. I went back to where he was, & found his tracks from the sprint ripping up the moss, but no blood, hair ect... I circled the are out to at least 130yards. Nothing! No death moan NOTHING. I’m heading back in daylight to see if I can find anything....

oh rite, wierd thing.. fire going, radio on outside & generator running! Brave bear?? 

1EC20909-8FA8-4077-9A6B-3C86FC41C0A9.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Well crazy story.. at about 620pm wife & I cooking supper in the camper. I go outside to take my Rotties outside pee. I get to the fire pit & look to my left, ole bear walking rite at me. I yell bear! He take off into bush, I throw dogs in camper (thank god they didn’t see him) grab gun & go in pursuit.. I hear a branch snap & look to my left, there he is maybe 60 yards or so thru the trees. I took a shoot with the SKS loaded with Hornady 123g SST. Bear takes off like a corvette thru the woods. I gave chase, but hit !, no blood, hair or dead bear. I went back to where he was, & found his tracks from the sprint ripping up the moss, but no blood, hair ect... I circled the are out to at least 130yards. Nothing! No death moan NOTHING. I’m heading back in daylight to see if I can find anything....

1EC20909-8FA8-4077-9A6B-3C86FC41C0A9.jpeg

My heart is beating hard now just reading that. Good luck and stay safe out there. I really felt the "thank god the dogs didn't see him" bit

Also on a side note,

I could see someone telling wheeler that they "need his help with something" and he'll just reply with this pic 🤣

Edit: Brave bear had a good nose. You said you were cooking food in the camper. Easy bet that is why he came around

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

This has been eating at me all nite... not saying I’m a sniper, but I don’t miss! I can hit a beer can at 100yards with the open sights on my SKS.. how I could miss this bear at 60-70 yards blows my mind! But I hope I did miss & not wound him. This really, really bothers me. Never had any incident like this in my life. It’s always bang flop, or bang drop in 25yards. Never lost an animal yet... just really eatin at me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I know with all the fat they might not bleed much. Hope you find what happened to it. I see Trudeau hasn't taken that gun away yet. Or do you guys have different rules in your province?

• Like 1