shrade

Forum Hunters?

I went back today. Found where I shot & where the bear was. About like I said, roughly 70 yards through the brush as u can see in the picture. I regret taking that shot. No blood or hair any where. But as u see in the pictures, I really didn’t have the best shot for a 7.62x39. My .45-70 would have plowed through all that.. so I am confident it was a clear miss & poor judgement on my part. Lesson learned for next time! 

ECB46CDC-9D38-4756-B861-8508B3F0E8A3.jpeg

A721BAC2-541B-4B14-AAB0-0279AC454372.jpeg

05C23C56-D03B-4BB3-9F85-A35EAD020422.jpeg

7CFB82C0-F354-4B54-9763-29D8D9BB9354.jpeg

• Like 4

Hope you missed him.  I know that feeling of wounding something and not being able to find it. 

Since the environazis starting making us use steel shot for waterfowl the number of wounded/crippled birds that get away skyrocketed.  I don't even try shooting anymore unless they're super close, because I'd rather get skunked than wound a bird that flies off and dies slowly.

• Like 6

Last week end I used the lead sled to try out various hand loads I had made for my new to me Rem 700 with Timney Trigger & Magpul Hunter stock with box mag. Burris Veracity 5x25x50 front focal plane scope. Managed some good results. So today I made a few more reloads to try. I have seated them a little deeper, added a tenth of a grain more powder & I’ll see how I do this week end. I use a chronograph as well to keep eye on things. 

Hornady 162 ELD-X bullets. 

BC04F9C8-6D65-46A1-8D90-A52A8351F5B9.jpeg

• Like 3

I think I'm gonna take my target rig deer hunting this fall, get it done early and sit out the rifle season. I'm anticipating the way the global goods economy is teetering along, putting some venison up in jars (and stashing coffee & TP away) might pay off if things begin to fall apart this winter/spring. Gonna have to buy me another ladderstand to set up over Deer though, got all of 'em set on Bear right now.

This is Bam-a-Lam. She's a rangy primitive grunge kinda gal. Loud & obnoxious & hits harder than she lets on. 😱

hha-vortex-setup-3.png

hha-vortex-setup-4.png

hha-vortex-setup-5.png

hha-vortex-setup-1.png

hha-vortex-setup-6.png

hha-vortex-setup-2.png

• Like 5

On 9/4/2020 at 12:01 AM, Macarena Man said:

We will have a buffalo tag too.  It's an open season on them in an area on the west side of the Alaska Highway.  There is no season on G-bear anymore in BC.  The man/bear incidents are rising yearly.  The country also has a high wolf population.  Yellowstone want/need more?  Ours are healthy and hungry . . . . 😊

can they be put in Frisco?

@Wheeler

i went back today. Found where I shot & where the bear was. About like I said, roughly 70 yards through the brush as u can see in the picture. I regret taking that shot. No blood or hair any where. But as u see in the pictures, I really didn’t have the best shot for a 7.62x39. My .45-70 would have plowed through all that.. so I am confident it was a clear miss & poor judgement on my part. Lesson learned for next time!

this is a few days old .... but glad you missed ... i think . you said this was the 1st time you ever missed ... that's a good record .. IMO, just reminds me of all the deer hunters here who will shoot at just about anything moving in the woods ... (last year 5 cows were shot) unless it's orange ... it's getting way out hand again with road shooters ... especially those who hunt only for the trophy... thank goodness there are hunters out there with scruples. 

• Like 3

This weekend was Michigan’s youth hunt weekend. Kids get a 2 day hunt every year in mid September they can take a Buck or a doe. My 11 year old grandson shot his first this morning with his Dad coaching him in the blind. 

11D6B181-500C-4009-8B35-5F9CFFB992A7.jpeg

• Like 8

On 9/11/2020 at 1:01 AM, retro said:

I think I'm gonna take my target rig deer hunting this fall, get it done early and sit out the rifle season. I'm anticipating the way the global goods economy is teetering along, putting some venison up in jars (and stashing coffee & TP away) might pay off if things begin to fall apart this winter/spring. Gonna have to buy me another ladderstand to set up over Deer though, got all of 'em set on Bear right now.

This is Bam-a-Lam. She's a rangy primitive grunge kinda gal. Loud & obnoxious & hits harder than she lets on. 😱

hha-vortex-setup-3.png

hha-vortex-setup-4.png

hha-vortex-setup-5.png

hha-vortex-setup-1.png

hha-vortex-setup-6.png

hha-vortex-setup-2.png

Wow , that is one mean looking crossbow !!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Wow , that is one mean looking crossbow !!!

Its not really.... it is modded and optimized a bunch but it is also detuned a bit. It shoots a 449 grains arrow 399 FPS. It is also very hard on limbs... got 3 spare sets on hand now for backups.... hence the need for detuning.

Wheelsquad designed the cheek rest (and mailed it to me) that is on it. His adjustable height cheek rest is my favorite improvement so far!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 01RUBY500 said:

My 11 year old grandson shot his first this morning with his Dad coaching him in the blind. 

Congrats to your grandson!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, retro said:

Its not really.... it is modded and optimized a bunch but it is also detuned a bit. It shoots a 449 grains arrow 399 FPS. It is also very hard on limbs... got 3 spare sets on hand now for backups.... hence the need for detuning.

Wheelsquad designed the cheek rest (and mailed it to me) that is on it. His adjustable height cheek rest is my favorite improvement so far!

After looking again at your pics , I realized that table appears to be built for sighting weapons ? That table is  nice .  Wheelsquad did a good  job on  the custom cheek rest   

• Like 1

Yesterday we filled 3 deer feeders with 500 pounds of corn , new batteries and set up 4 cameras ------ then shot about 100 rounds thru my MP15-22 ----man o man the woods are wet here and we got a hurricane  coming ashore -----about 16 days till archery opens 

• Like 3

Retro's high tech crossbow pics  has got me wanting to lose a few more bolts !!! LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

This weekend was Michigan’s youth hunt weekend. Kids get a 2 day hunt every year in mid September they can take a Buck or a doe. My 11 year old grandson shot his first this morning with his Dad coaching him in the blind. 

11D6B181-500C-4009-8B35-5F9CFFB992A7.jpeg

Nice pic !! Hang onto that one Grandpa .... 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 1:58 AM, LedFTed said:

can they be put in Frisco?

Help me decipher Frisco  'Led !!!  Frisco'cine Buffalo stew ?  Frisco'oil deep fried buffalo ? or maybe Frisco-China Town Freck'asay  with a side of rice ? 

7 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I realized that table appears to be built for sighting weapons ?

Yup its a home made shooting range and shooting bench for right handed or left handed shooters. I made the bench extra long so I could place my chrono 36" from the end of the barrel and it is made extra wide on the left side to hold shooting gear. 10 yards inside the woods at the end of the mowed shooting lane is a 20 feet wide by 10 feet deep by 6 feet high dirt mound that stops the bullets. The table/bench legs are staked down, but two stakes can be pulled and the table moved as far back on the shooting lane as 260 yards, for sighting rifles. My bench is placed so the range is 110 yards long presently (for shooting my crossbow) with labelled plastic markers staked in the ground every 10 yards, so that I can drive my mower right over top of the yardage markers when I mow the grass in the lane. The lane is mowed wide enough so that I can ride my Rancher rather than walk back & forth... to retrieve arrows, or replace paper targets on the rifle target frame. My home made weatherproof arrows target cart houses a 24" x 24" x 16" thick Spyderweb target which easily rolls to any yardage distance from the shooter, on two wheels that I salvaged from a small yard & garden trailer.

hha-vortex-setup-9.png

target.png

My friends use my range quite often on weekends. This coming weekend we'll be sighting a .300 Winchester Magnum hunting rifle and sighting in a brand new custom built .243 with a high dollar Nightforce tactical/sniper scope on it. A buddys girlfriend was given her first rifle for her birthday with a custom made laminated stock & LOP sized to fit her. A local friend who builds customs as a hobby built it for her. Another friend will be here to shoot broadheads with his compound hunting bow this coming weekend. I spend more time on the range with my crossbow than anything else. But its fun to get the rifles out from time to time too, when friends are here shooting.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, retro said:

Yup its a home made shooting range and shooting bench for right handed or left handed shooters. I made the bench extra long so I could place my chrono 36" from the end of the barrel and it is made extra wide on the left side to hold shooting gear. 10 yards inside the woods at the end of the mowed shooting lane is a 20 feet wide by 10 feet deep by 6 feet high dirt mound that stops the bullets. The table/bench legs are staked down, but two stakes can be pulled and the table moved as far back on the shooting lane as 260 yards, for sighting rifles. My bench is placed so the range is 110 yards long presently (for shooting my crossbow) with labelled plastic markers staked in the ground every 10 yards, so that I can drive my mower right over top of the yardage markers when I mow the grass in the lane. The lane is mowed wide enough so that I can ride my Rancher rather than walk back & forth... to retrieve arrows, or replace paper targets on the rifle target frame. My home made weatherproof arrows target cart houses a 24" x 24" x 16" thick Spyderweb target which easily rolls to any yardage distance from the shooter, on two wheels that I salvaged from a small yard & garden trailer.

hha-vortex-setup-9.png

target.png

My friends use my range quite often on weekends. This coming weekend we'll be sighting a .300 Winchester Magnum hunting rifle and sighting in a brand new custom built .243 with a high dollar Nightforce tactical/sniper scope on it. A buddys girlfriend was given her first rifle for her birthday with a custom made laminated stock & LOP sized to fit her. A local friend who builds customs as a hobby built it for her. Another friend will be here to shoot broadheads with his compound hunting bow this coming weekend. I spend more time on the range with my crossbow than anything else. But its fun to get the rifles out from time to time too, when friends are here shooting.

Wow , I can see you take your shooting seriously -------  I have a gun vise , bore sighting tools and such , and I can shoot in my back yard , but it usually ends up being a target nailed to a tree and the tree usually dies from lead poisoning or falls over  from being shoot up 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

the tree usually dies from lead poisoning or falls over  from being shoot up

I tell the guys to try to shoot to the right of the poplar tree at the end of my shooting lane... I use that tree to practice from a treestand on occasion. Luckily so far no one have accidentally blasted that tree yet. 🙂

• Like 1

Not sure how u guys sharpen ur knives, I have multiple ways, but the one that produces exceptional results is my whetstone. I use a 4000grit. I also have the outdoor edge replaceable blade knife which is pretty sweet too. But can’t beat an edge from a stone!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Not sure how u guys sharpen ur knives, I have multiple ways, but the one that produces exceptional results is my whetstone. I use a 4000grit. I also have the outdoor edge replaceable blade knife which is pretty sweet too. But can’t beat an edge from a stone!

I buy a new one lol. Nah, I have a Benchmade assisted open that I love to use everyday. My hunting knives , well I never mastered using a stone.  Wife bought me one of the belt sander style sharpeners that I like.

• Like 3

I have an old double side sharpening stone that rotates, and there's a pool of oil that the bottom stone is submerged in.

Old thing my grandfather had.  Works well though.

• Like 2

plus on the stone ... i saw my father, and grandfather top the edge off by using there leather work boots ... like using a leather strap to sharpen a straight razor. 

• Like 1

Heading out this week end for 4-5 days hunting. It was time for a new range finder.. Cabela’s had this Nikon Prostaff 1000i on sale..it’s replacing a RedField Raider 600. 

719134EB-B2DC-4BAA-800D-CEF1FD05B6DC.jpeg

• Like 4