shrade

Forum Hunters?

sunday on 11-15-2020, i dropped this 5 pointer, he weighed out at 135 lbs, first buck ( or any deer for that matter ! ) i've killed in 40 yrs !!. missed a shot on a couple does, but they were too far out anyway, and the darn sun was in my scope..grrr...but i still came home with this , so i did not come home empty handed :-). i am on the left in pic, guy on the right is who gave me hunting rights to his land for 2 yrs to hunt for fixing his atc125m here awhile back. and the one pic is him sitting on his beer thrown of bud of nothing but 30 packs of bud ( about 20 of them ? )..lol.

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

• Like 16

Great buck Shade! ("Put on the lard and onions, I'm guttin' you a buck!" - da buckless yooper) That throne makes me jealous. The largest case of Bud I can get in WI is 24 packs. 😞 If they sold a 30 box of bud i'd have to make less stops at the store!

• Like 5

Congrats Shade! Now I have a face for the name too! I missed a running doe with my .45-70 this year myself. 

• Like 1

Congratulations Shade, I'm glad for ya, nice to put some meat in the freezer. Not sure if I'll get to hunt this year or not, lots of stuff going on. If there is a late season hunt I will stand a better chance to get out, we'll see.  Glad to be able to put a face to the name too!

• Like 1

thank you everyone !. it was a great time down there. although ( yes...there is always something huh ?!..lol ) i was not impressed hauling my camper and my '03 trx450fm down there and back at all !. yes, my truck can pull it !!..but the issue i had was one very long steep hill of pea gravel i had to go up when i got off the main highway road, i darn near did not make it up !!, was spinning my tires all the way up it, guess i had too much weight for this spot ?, but i did know i had too much weight to start with !!. i think i got about 8 mpg going down there, and coming back ?. sooo..my thinking is to get a much smaller camper to cut way down on the weight !!. got a 16ft i'm looking at online ( new ), looks nice for what i need. i will keep everyone posted when i get a smaller camper ( if at all ?..lol ), right now though...i know for a fact i got to much weight loaded in the bed of my truck, and pulling a loaded 22ft camper is too much, killing me on gas mileage for sure !!..lol.

• Like 6

congrats shade, that's a nice 5 Pointer. glad you had a good trip other then hauling that load,had a thought maybe that storm that swept in at jeeps,  then moved on to east might have effected your hunting trip. that chair, well? , wow! I've never seen one of those before, lol! 

Shade, I know what you mean about heavy loads and bad mileage. This drops the milage pretty good on my Duramax, I can tell you that I don't go up any steep gravel roads with this🤪😄!

20200705_165339.jpg

• Like 7

Hey congrats shade, always good to not come back empty handed.  Everything on the way home prolly would have been fine except for the extra weight of deer....lol

• Like 2

Here's how we grow them up in Michigan.  Isn't me but a good friend we allow to hunt on our property...

buck.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Freedomflyer said:

Shade, I know what you mean about heavy loads and bad mileage. This drops the milage pretty good on my Duramax, I can tell you that I don't go up any steep gravel roads with this🤪😄!

20200705_165339.jpg

yeah, some of the other hunters told me to drag my atv from the back of my camper, i was like..heck no !!..lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bcsman said:

Hey congrats shade, always good to not come back empty handed.  Everything on the way home prolly would have been fine except for the extra weight of deer....lol

well...yes and no..i added weight with the deer meat, but dumped the remaining fresh water, as well as the waste tanks ( no..i did not dump them at the camp site !..lol ) in other words, i lost more weight than what gained , and darn near got blown off the highway by some stupid trucker doing 85 in a 70 zone !!!..grinds my gears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

20200705_165339.jpg

We aren't allowed to double haul like that in Minnesota. First trailer would have to be a gooseneck to be legal.

• Like 1

Yeah I heard there are some states that dont allow it, is that for residents only? That would suck if a guy was heading that direction traveling through and got stopped or had to turn around or go around. 

• Like 1

Congrats on the fine 5 greybeard errr... shadetree! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

Yeah I heard there are some states that dont allow it, is that for residents only? That would suck if a guy was heading that direction traveling through and got stopped or had to turn around or go around. 

It applies to anyone driving in the state and I personally think it's a valid rule.

it also aplys here under certain cercomstances. plus no 16 foot gooseneck without a a truck with duel wheels. but they don't go exactly by the book. 

13 hours ago, shadetree said:

sunday on 11-15-2020, i dropped this 5 pointer, he weighed out at 135 lbs, first buck ( or any deer for that matter ! ) i've killed in 40 yrs !!. missed a shot on a couple does, but they were too far out anyway, and the darn sun was in my scope..grrr...but i still came home with this , so i did not come home empty handed :-). i am on the left in pic, guy on the right is who gave me hunting rights to his land for 2 yrs to hunt for fixing his atc125m here awhile back. and the one pic is him sitting on his beer thrown of bud of nothing but 30 packs of bud ( about 20 of them ? )..lol.

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

Nice Buck!

Like the Bud chair. how many days were ya staying? 😀 3 or 4?

That head, is going to be a mount on an atv?, or your truck.

just kidding, Congrats..

PS, did ya get deer fever, before ya shot. like your hearts gonna explode

Edited by LedFTed

Yeah I don't disagree,  they just haven't made it illegal here YET. I have seen some pretty sketchy rigs driving down the road, no equalizer hitches, or sway bars or safety chains. I dont usually go too far, 60-70 miles max. Home to a campground at a trail head. I think having a pickup that is at least a 3/4 ton and a diesel helps as well.

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 1

I've followed some sketchy doubles before, especially with aggressive drivers, cutting in, and out of traffic, at 70 mph, that tail end trailer can get a wild side to side movement. the further back the axles are on the camper, the better the trailer in tow acts, (plus more weight on the drive axles) center axle not so much much with the swing / turn pivot angle. 

Shade has me wanting to go and pop one so I can post my pic on the net >>>>  Shade if you send me them horns and I will add to the light fixture , I'll pay  a dollar a point  ----  LOL   

AzHM7UiWSu68%Wt0Gketjg.jpg

8CVbV5N3RLyH9lq8HabqtA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_d9e.jpeg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, shadetree said:

well...yes and no..i added weight with the deer meat, but dumped the remaining fresh water, as well as the waste tanks ( no..i did not dump them at the camp site !..lol ) in other words, i lost more weight than what gained , and darn near got blown off the highway by some stupid trucker doing 85 in a 70 zone !!!..grinds my gears.

I'd say you came home lighter , Plus you ate all the food , drank all the beverages , shot up bullets , burned gas in the atv and the generator and even burned a couple of gallons of propane with the " heater " , I mean stove , LOL 

Congratulations @shadetree!

got my first deer ever last Sunday — about the same size as yours. I’m going back in the hills this weekend to practice rattling and grunting while they’re still interested. Still got my trail cams at my spot.

039B0433-9370-404E-B933-B5AD106A64DA.jpeg

CD42A29E-65B6-4209-822C-1CA05200660E.jpeg

E4E7D50F-B460-4386-AAEA-69815C44FFB3.jpeg

• Like 7

Shotgun season starts tomorrow, I'll be out even with rain in the forecast. Got a late start on archery season due to the farmer not cutting crops, saw a nice 10 pt. 

Feeding them is cheating up here, but sure would make it easier to find them.