shrade

Forum Hunters?

Watch "Bait visitor" on YouTube

Game cam video from behind my son's cabin while we were up there this weekend.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Chevymec said:

A buddy and I usually buy 3 25 bag pallets of cob corn and split 1. I usually have plenty left by the end of the season because I will throw some shelled corn out also. My main stand is surrounded by bean fields, acorns, and other food sources. That helps out a lot.

A guy I use to work for , that owned a chain of equipment rental stores , owns a  island in the Mississippi River , you need to take a ferry to get to it by truck , or a boat by foot then a cart to the lodge , it is a " HIGH  dollar " hunting club , sleeps 50 people , 25 stands , they fill the feeders with them   ton plus size white cloth sacks , like they use for sand blasting sand , if you ever seen one of them , they pick the sacks up with a all terrain extend-a-reach forklift , the feeders look like a vessel in an oil refinery  and they have food plots -----------  they kill massive  big deer every year , 10 point minimum to shoot there or they penalize you big money for shooting smaller ,  I think it is $15K a year membership , some of the big shots  fly in by sea plane ,  they are right off the Natchez Trace close to Tullula , La , which might be where the biggest deer  in the state come from  , I heard he wants to sell the whole deal 

• Like 2

$15k a year ??? Holy crap... I pay a little $400 at our club and we can't even get half the club to help clean up once a year or get the company that owns it to fix the roads.  

• Like 2

those that don't help clean up ? do they hunt ? or just pay for membership ? 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

10 point minimum to shoot there or they penalize you big money for shooting smaller

i agree with this to a point, here hunters will shoot anything with horns, but the older hunters let the young bucks go, the standard has become 6 point or bigger, the row crop farmers don't care as long as the population is kept (somewhat) in check. I've told my family friend, don't kill the young bucks, or you will leave my place. i don't play around with these hunters that will kill any size with horns, kind of tells me what type of hunter they are, not one i wish to have around. twinky's son was the worst, he would kill a small buck, and leave it, that's another reason i ran them off. if he was to pay, i might have been lighter on the deal, but even Dennis was getting hot about it, and can't stand a hunter that kills just for the kill, but rather make it count if your going for a trophy. hunting for meat is completely defrent. 

• Like 2

I just got off the phone with my friend , he hunted the island with his son as a guest one time , as we all worked together , forgot about a few details , there is a one time payment for a lifetime hunting privilege to the island , it is $150,000 , I also asked him what the fine was for shooting a deemed unsuitable deer , $10,000 ----------  the time he hunted there , it was a youth hunt and he told his son , what ever you do son  , don't pull the trigger unless I tell you to , he said he was praying his son didn't pop one of the many deer in front of them that were too small for the club , but trophies to him  , cause his son is trigger happy and he couldn't afford to pay the fine 

• Like 3

Bsck in the early 90s, Ted Turner used to work with the fish and game and allow a collaborative hunt on one of his ranches here in southwestern Montana.  228,000 acres of some of the nicest habitat around. He allowed 700 hunters a year to come and hunt. We would put in for the draw and if you got drawn you were assigned a date. Then after the regular hunting season from Dec.1 through Jan. 31 so many  people were allowed to hunt.

Usually given 2 days per person.  No bulls were allowed to be taken,  $50,000 fine and loss of hunting privilege for 10 years if you shot a bull. I was able to draw 10 out of 11 years before they shut it down in 2002. A friend of mine grew up on the ranch as his dad managed it, so he would guide all of the out of state high rollers that came to hunt during the regular season. Back then they paid $25,000 for a bull elk, $15,000 for a trophy deer, and $3,500 for a buffalo. Not sure what they charge now. 

• Like 3

Got my buck back from last year. Super stoked. Shot him early on Oct 13th. Put him far right of my bear to leave room for this years mount when it’s done. 

6F454BAE-F800-449C-BF0E-499D781F5175.jpeg

C5186FCE-5E15-4394-900A-1F7C4CB84CE6.jpeg

6C3AF26B-B997-4890-ACB3-9EBC071973F6.jpeg

51970D1A-242C-4621-8690-7BE49E1D3D39.jpeg

45B94370-A6E6-4B44-92F1-8CF1CC49E38B.png

• Like 10

Got my muzzleloader doe this morning. Got dressed, coffee, saw the wind blowing in the right direction. 

got out to the trailhead just after sunrise; Which was 7:21. im thinking suns pretty bright. Im really late here.

walked in and after a bit saw some doe gathered up the hill from me. About 60 yards maybe. Theyre Walking thru a little window in the trees, tucked into some tight brushy stuff. I could’ve waited to see if they would come down but drew down on a doe moving past the window. 
Took my shot and saw her jump; so kept my eye on the spot.

Reloading a muzzleloader isn’t a fast thing yknow, so I’m being quiet but getting after it . when she comes crashing down the hill and drops in a heap. 50 feet from me.

its now 8:30. 
Im very thankful and blessed.

Took it over to my friend’s place skinned and coarsely butchered it so I could get it cold.

• Like 7

Fresh Inner whitetail loins; seasoned with olive oil and Lawreys Black Pepper seasoned salt. Sauted in pan and drippings were deglazed with a bit of Budweiser. Sweet potatoes and green beans

5BC703F2-C58A-4076-8D4F-0A9D2DB7BE3F.jpeg

• Like 7

On 10/5/2020 at 10:07 AM, CamKnouff said:

200 yards away, must be some bow you have.  I question your hunting ethics!

not really on the bow. it was a longbow, an i had plenty of view as where the arrow would land. why not take a shot? dont tell me you wouldnt at least try. i had to let loose at a 45 degree angle. would have been the shot of a lifetime. the deer never moved, or acted like they heard something.

i have good hunting ethics. i wont shoot a gun unless there is background, in case i miss. i wont hunt squirrels with a 22 rifle. though a 22 is nice for plinking with the proper background.

had a buck it my sites. it was uphill, i didnt take the shot. if i'd a missed, no telling where the load would land. 50 cal muzzle loader, still, it wasnt worth the risk.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Goober said:

Got my muzzleloader doe this morning. Got dressed, coffee, saw the wind blowing in the right direction. 

got out to the trailhead just after sunrise; Which was 7:21. im thinking suns pretty bright. Im really late here.

walked in and after a bit saw some doe gathered up the hill from me. About 60 yards maybe. Theyre Walking thru a little window in the trees, tucked into some tight brushy stuff. I could’ve waited to see if they would come down but drew down on a doe moving past the window. 
Took my shot and saw her jump; so kept my eye on the spot.

Reloading a muzzleloader isn’t a fast thing yknow, so I’m being quiet but getting after it . when she comes crashing down the hill and drops in a heap. 50 feet from me.

its now 8:30. 
Im very thankful and blessed.

Took it over to my friend’s place skinned and coarsely butchered it so I could get it cold.

just get fast loaders. holds the slug, so to speak, the powder. i use CVA, an bore butter. never failed me when i did hunt. had to use less tools. just drop the powder, with the bullet down the barrel give a couple of taps with the rod, load the cap an hunt. its probably even easier now. the last i hunted was in 2009.

• Like 1

Thank Ted.  Great advice. 

I have a Traditions Pursuit G4 and put the True Glo from my Turkey Gun on it. 
i use those speedloaders they are a break through. Powerbelt Aerolite bullets and Hodgson pellets. I dress every bullet with a thin film of Bore Butter. i wear my ball starter in the strap loops of my sidearm drop leg holster—it has a tether that loops around my sidearm.

i put three speedloaders in my chest shirt pocket and then decided to wear a pack —the pack strap was the holdup. so i need to find a better place to store the speedloaders. I also dropped the primer in the pine needles. When you open the speedloader cap you have to keep your thumb on the primer. luckily i saw where it landed LOLs 

Got my doe nearly all butchered and wrapped — i hit this doe low behind the right shoulder but she was uphill from me and bullet passed through left leg. I’m soaking the blood out of the tissue with ice Water and will clean it up today. 

I had never hunted or butchered a deer before and so I’m ready for my elk hunt! Except an elk is like 6 deer and my freezer has two deer already in it. Gotta eat some of those frozen vegetables I guess.

this is a great butchering video if you search deer butchering: 
The Best How to Butcher a Deer Video EVER, by The Bearded Butchers at Whitefeather Meats!

Edited by Goober
  • Like 4

Price per round unknown at the moment : update 

950 JDJ. It is . 95 inches in diameter, and weighs a stout 3600 grains (8 ounces, half a pound) and uses 240 grains of powder to push this bullet at 2,100 fps. The bullet costs $40 a piece.Apr 17, 2019  --  bet they went up a bit since then 

New user here, wanted to chime in as a fellow hunter.  Hunting was one of the reasons I initiated getting my ATV (a month ago).  I gave up my spot at a lease a bunch of years ago due to raising a family and this past year I was able to get back on it.  I got tired of having someone drive me to a drop-off point so I'd walk, and pout about it of course.  Walking in the chilly air got a sweat going with all the clothing and I'd dread going to the stand.  A few times I didn't, which is my fault.  I was whining about this to the wife and she would rather I spend the money on an ATV than hear me whine, so ta-da! I got an ATV.  I'm starting to order the things I "need" for hunting, which really is just a gun holder and a winch.  Other useful things like a cargo holder, etc.

So ... Hello!

• Like 3