shrade

Forum Hunters?

Any Hunters out their? would like to see pics of your successful huntsIMG_1411 (1).JPG

• Like 6

i've only shot 2 so far this season, but I forgot to take pics of them before I tied cinder blocks around their ankles and dumped em in my pond..the turtles usually take care of the evidence...I do after all have signs posted all around  "no tresspassing, no hunting"  and yet..they still come... (LOL)   actually.. i have nothing against hunting..used to do it with my Dad...and lord knows we have no shortage of deer on the property... I just get frustrated with people I don't know that think their hunting license meanse they can come on property they know darn well is not theirs and start tossing 30cal rounds....oh well.. Christmas holiday break is at hand, and I've been itching to hit my backyard range ...hope nobody is back in the woods where they ain't supposed to be...(grin)

for right now, I just hunt the two legged dears ! ( yes..i spelled that correctly ! ..lol ).

all joking aside (and it is)   I have a couple of soninlaws, etc that are avid...they pay good money to be part of a hunt property group, etc...they would love to be able to come on our place and hunt...all our trail cams show great pics of some really healthy bucks..drives the boys crazy...but the wife says...not on her 'sanctuary"...heck you could hit em with a rock out in the side yard...that's how comfy the deer are here...beavers in the pond yesterday, fox, bobcat, etc...

I just get frustrated with guys who live in nearby subdivisions...small 1/5th acre neighborhood lots...and they get all suited up in their camo jammies and without a second thought they just head straight into my woods, walking right past my signs and I even have pics of them in front of my trail cams and you can see my signs in the background!!!

my grandkids play on a large playground on my property...they like to go down to the creek and play, I like to hop on my ATV or golf cart and ride on my property.. I don't need to worry about hunters..no..that's wrong.they aren't "hunters"  they are "armed tresspassers".

I do have a responsible gun range, bermed etc and plenty of woods out behind that..closest neighbor and I share phone calls when either of us are planning to go out back and shoot...in fact sometimes we'll just come over and shoot together...but if a stranger is in my woods.. I don't know it.. I don't know to call them and warn...and if I come up on a man in cam with a rifle in hand while I'm out riding or working on my property..brother...it's not a comfy conversation..ok..I've completely derailed this thread...sorry.....I do have a great pic of my 12yr old grandson who took his first deer this season...he was really cranked about it... used the new 270 and took a good shot...one n done.

• Like 1

I quit hunting years ago when it became commercialized around here. I have deer in my yard at all times and I have to be careful not to shoot them when plinking. I walk out my front door and see this about every morning.

• Like 5

here's one of our fellas....cam is next to my camper...the doe on the right is one of 4 generations now that nursery right outside our kitchen table window...we can be eating dinner, playing cards etc at the table and there will be a dozen of em outside not 15ft away...

buck.jpg

doe.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

for right now, I just hunt the two legged dears ! ( yes..i spelled that correctly ! ..lol ).

Come on man lol....Oh I forgot you don't like sitting out in the cold for the 4 legged ones lol.

well been a few yrs since I hunted, got burnt out on it after 30+ yrs of 3+ months a yr hunting all over the USA and Canada, I went from one extreme to another, from hunting WAY too much to ZERO, just woke up one day and decided to call it quit's

or for now any how!

I have wildlife in my yard almost  every hour of every day, from big things to small

never hunted things near me, never seemed fair, too easy, so always liked traveling to try new places and see what I can find!

TOODEEP
 that's a LOT of deer there in your area

someone should really help put a dent in that population , too many deer, ends up causing some sort of sickness in things and can wipe out whole heard and such

hunting is a good thing for healthy animals, something many NON hunters don;t get!

Iv'e have many great deer hunts in SD, mostly the North west part of the state(or NE part of the state), never seen numbers like you got, but have seen a LOT of them in some places!

you almost make me want to go on a  hunt again!

must be a few big bucks in with all them deer! LOL

here is a pic of my Last SD buck, I missed judged size, but was close

I always set a 145 inch goal out west on WT's

and this one went 141 LOL

so was close!

was in a great area with much larger, should have held off however! 

buster 410.JPG

• Like 3

my last Buck I killed here in PA, I had ZERO plans to shoot this buck, has been trying to let it grow, passed on it dozens of times that season, was under my stand at about 10 yards the night before on camera at 10 pm, all healthy

next day it showed up limping with a  gun shot in it,(was in archery ONLY late season)

so, rather than see it suffer with a gun shot, I punched a tag for the last time

I managed the property this deer was on for almost 20 yrs, and the last 25 or so deer that came off it LEGALLY<  every single one when butchering them, we would find at LEAST 2 bullets in them, mostly 22 or 9 mm or even 45  pistol rounds

had a major problem with a  private community that was close by with folks driving about w=shooting out windows at deer, everyone knew about ti too, from local cops to state game dept, and yet they wouldn't;t lift a finger to stop it!

got to be so frustrating, letting bucks go to TRY and get them to live to get shot OUT of season, or just illegally!

and the amount of trespassers I used to catch on the land was insane, from walkers to hunters to atv riders!!

coudn't; tell you how many times I wished I could shoot trespassers, I'd of filled tractor trailers up some weeks ! LOL

had thousands of pic's of him, , a 3.5 yr old PA buck,  not many here make it that long , too  trigger happy hunters and cheaters about!

2012  2013 buck 014.JPG

020.JPG

136.JPG

251.JPG

• Like 3

I let people hunt but most was after trophies so now it's a select few that will take them for meat.  I thought about just leaving my shop door open and fill the freezer. The state says we have a shortage of deer when giving out license. 

The first couple pics I snapped working in the yard while the kids was playing in the pool. You know how quiet they are... lol The other, the 2 outer ones I found in my tree grove and the middle I found riding south of my place. I've seen some big ones around here but they are big for a reason. 

20180614_192531.jpg

20180614_192551.jpg

20191218_195234.jpg

• Like 7

well I can understand why some folks only want big ones

I know I was sort of guilty of that too, as I loved to travel and hunt, and if I was spending a few grand to travel and go some place, I didn;t just want meat, I can get all of that I want at home(used to shoot about 15-20 deer a yr and give most away to folks that begged me for it, never went to waste)

so, when I was far from home on a hunt, I was more selective on what I would shoot, unless there were terms to me being there(some land owners needed me to shoot a doe first before allowing me to hunt for bucks) and I always did as asked, I never found finding deer hard, came to me rather easy, so, just going some place and filling a tag, was rather easy for me, so, I always set size goals based on where I would be hunting, and always tried to the larger class for an area, and if I didn;t tag out, so be it, I enjoyed the hunt regardless, a kill was never needed for me, 

However, I seldom didn;t fill a tag either??

I do know on a  VERY costly hunt in alberta (over a grand a day deal)

I shot a wounded deer someone had shot and not got, FAR from what I wanted, but , to me was the right thing to do

costly, but,  life ain';t all about money either! LOL

this deer here now with a  broken leg is bothering me, wish the state would let me take it out, butcher it and donate to a good cause!

rather than see it suffer, but sadly, they don;t do that??
NO money in it for them IMO, , the right thing to do, they care less about!, claim Mother nature will handle it!

Any of you folks dealing with 'Chronic Wasting Disease'  (CWD) . . . . ?  

A guide from Chetwynd, BC showed me a Whitetail skull from a deer he found dead on his ranch. It was found in a windrow of trees a 1/2 mile from his house.  Typical frame except for the double brow tines. (6x6).  The tines were flattened out to the tips, and you couldn't slide a finger between the tines. Turned slightly to either side, the whole rack looked like solid bone. Scored 205 2/8 . . . . . His brother is also a guide, and has the adjoining ranch. Neither one of them had ever seen this deer before.

Hopefully I can find the photo of this old grinder.

Good photo's guys !

4 hours ago, Macarena Man said:

Any of you folks dealing with 'Chronic Wasting Disease'  (CWD) . . . . ?  

A guide from Chetwynd, BC showed me a Whitetail skull from a deer he found dead on his ranch. It was found in a windrow of trees a 1/2 mile from his house.  Typical frame except for the double brow tines. (6x6).  The tines were flattened out to the tips, and you couldn't slide a finger between the tines. Turned slightly to either side, the whole rack looked like solid bone. Scored 205 2/8 . . . . . His brother is also a guide, and has the adjoining ranch. Neither one of them had ever seen this deer before.

Hopefully I can find the photo of this old grinder.

Good photo's guys !

Yeap , they are worried about it , I think it is more a problem in Mississippi than here in Louisiana  , you are not suppose to bring back deer into Louisiana unless it is totally de-boned and no organs , they even have places now that will test your meat for CWD for you free 

you know something else we have , Internet Wildlife Agents , there job is to bust people after they post pics of kills on the net , so when you are posting pics of animals , be sure that you did proper tagging procedures , we need to tag it and call it in 

read a story just recently where the guy shot this humongous rack and posted the pic , they made the case from the rack being so unique , on the  land that the deer  came off of  , the guy   had been taking pics for the entire life of the deer , WLF put the case together 

I just heard yesterday that we are about to get a new Wildlife Law show on TV , we got some outlaws down here , should be a good show , I might even know some of them outlaws they are going to catch , LOL 

6 hours ago, mrbb said:

used to shoot about 15-20 deer a yr

However, I seldom didn;t fill a tag either??

What is you'll limit per season -----  I wouldn't tell anybody that ----- Northeast Law is reading , LOL 

The entire State of Louisiana is 6 deer per year , in my home zone it is 3 ---- now I do understand that you could have gotten limits in multiple States , but be careful what you post as they are making as many bust on the net as in the field these days 

The WLF  are tricky now days , one of their  new things is , when they are doing a fishing inspection on you , they are asking you questions like , " do you deer hunt , kill anything this year " , while thay are talking with you , they are running your name on their lap top and one thing they are checking for is  " tagging call in's " , you say " ya I got a buck and a doe " , and they see no record of it , self incrimination ----- in this State WLF is the only enforcement agency that don't need a search warrant to enter your house 

My buddy shot a doe out of season , didn't have enough freezer space , gave me a 1/4 , then he got busted for it cause someone ratted him out and he told them I had some of the meat , they came to get the meat and said they knew I had it , said if I didn't give it to them they were coming in and looking for it and would prosecute me also , so gave it up and they let me go , this was 40 years ago and my buddy paid about $800 to get out of that one  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great pics!

Poaching of wildlife and a disrespect for this valuable resource seems to be a problem in most parts of the country. These lawbreakers are not dealt with severely enough when caught, IMO.

don't worry Fish, I only play by the legal rules, in PA, its a tricky deal, on HOW many, as its sort of based on HOW many tag's you wish to BUY or get lucky and can BUY

we have special reg area's that for yrs tags were pretty much unlimited

But again, I used to also hunt 3-7 different states a yr, WV, was if I recall correctly, 7 deer per season with correct tags

I also did crop damage hunts and control as well, all LEGALLY

I couldn't even imagine how many deer I killed legally, but I know its a LOT more than most by a LOT!,as I sure went way over board for yrs on hunting, 90-100+ days a yr for a few decades!

the crazy amount of hours I used to log in every yr sitting in tree stands , I doubt many would believe me if I told you's as for yrs I kept good records on things, before just giving up on that too, too much work for nothing IMO

NOW As for CWD  in deer, right now there are issue's with it being found in PA , certain area's have it and the state is trying its best to figure out where all its at, asking for folks to donate heads and deer parts to study this yr

there is also a big issue with MAGE in our Black bears, in parts of the state as well, that have been popping up more and more often, a rather cruel way for a bear to die going bald and unable to live as such!

and then there is and has been a BIG issue with loosing Bats, now about a  decade or more, numbers are dropping at alarming rates all over the USA, called white tongue disease 

I personally thing it has to do with water quality, I mean just think how far we have gone in such a few short decades on water quality

from streams and rivers and lakes , so polluted fish cannot be eaten anymore, or on major limits on what you can consume, water treatment processes that are getting more and more extreme to be safe to drink

and then all the wild life is stuck drinking from the polluted sources directly

think about it?

chemicals, drugs and what not's all end up in water, treatment plants make it safe for humans afterwards(or so they claim LOL)
  many  animals/wildlife  and like things ain;t getting treated water  to drink!

and stuck absorbing all the bad things, its NOT like wild animals have state of the art treatment plants inside them
 and then how many of these animals do we eat>

has to have some side effects NO??

• Like 1

From what you guys are saying lots of private land people hunt.. I only hunt on Crown Land. Good & bad with that.. Good you can go where ever u want, bad for the potential of others hunting too. But where I usually go, I get off the beaten path. Lots of people around here like to "Hollywood" hunt. Just drive around in their truck. 

Today, I just finished up my new rifle build... or shall we call it customization...

Rem 700 7mm Mag Stainless

Magpul Hunter 700L Stock (Grey)

Magpul 5rd Box Mag Conversion

Timney 512-V2 Trigger I set at 2.5lbs

1 Piece Weaver rail 

Burris Veracity FFP 5x25x50 Scope.

Just need to pick up 2 stainless swivel studs to install...

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

nice build Wheeler...lotta guys down here like the 7, others are all about 270..and 308 is still the king I think

my old deer rifle..my dad's actually..is an old winchester 30/30 lever... I still on rare occassion will grab it and toss it into the front fork scabbard of my old honda Trail90 bike..it rides well as it's nice n short and slender and I am solid with it out the 100yrds that the particular round is realistically gonna work..yes I have the hornaday red tip stuff...probably give me another 30-50yds..but really..round here...we just don't need to take long shots.

fond of that old rifle...it's not a pre-64..so no real value on the market, but it works and it was my Dad's...so it'll stay in the family .

honestly much of his hunting back in PA and OH..he just used his old model12  16ga with what we used to call punkin balls...(slugs)...he never lost a deer or came home empty handed for lack of enough gun to take the game...and as ya'll know...up north they make em bigger than the lil puppy dogs here in the Carolinas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

From what you guys are saying lots of private land people hunt.. I only hunt on Crown Land. Good & bad with that.. Good you can go where ever u want, bad for the potential of others hunting too. But where I usually go, I get off the beaten path. Lots of people around here like to "Hollywood" hunt. Just drive around in their truck. 

Sheep hunter?

Hunted the Kananaskis when it was still wild.  

BC resident now . . . . Flathead and its tributaries.

Look into the West Castle every now and then.

Shoot a .300  😎

CWD is a problem in agricultural areas and in areas where people bait or feed deer. Monsanto & Dow agricultural herbicides are the cause. The DNR knows it, we all know it. We were never fooled. The DNR covers the Roundup link to CWD up and plays dumb under orders from the feds. In MIchigan the DNR altered baiting rules in an effort to control the disease and those rules have helped. But folks still buy treated corn and oats and feed deer all over the continent, so CWD may pop up anywhere. But the good news is, once the chemical-laced foods are taken away from the wildlife they recover and prosper. They'll tell ya all about CWD in about 40 years, like they told ya about DDT in the 70s, once all of the birth defects had run their course and folks weren't angry anymore.

• Like 2

I guess this is a good spot for this story as it involves the killing of wildlife ---  there is a nice neighborhood on the water front and I know a few people who live on the street it happened on , so made a called to get the story , there are a lot of ducks that live in this neighborhood , and they are not afraid of people and !  all over people's patios , docks ,  driveways , sidewalks and the streets , like ducks do , so some people don't like them , one guy took his dislike to the extreme , he was swerving from side to side of the road running over ducks and smashing them into the concrete along a trail of death , I am trying to get a body count , he may have been over the limit of 6 , then maybe no duck stamp-stamps -- lol  -------------- bad thing for him was the car behind him carried a duck lover with a camera in a phone , the car pulled up to the guy and asked him why was he smashing ducks with the truck , and he says " cause they are messy and I hate them " , well the film was given to the Sheriff and the Wild Life and Fisheries , both agencies went to the guys house and arrested him , I would say he is in big trouble  , as cruelty to animals is taken very serious around here , much more so than cruelty to humans ,  he admitted his hatred of ducks and admitted he went  on a wild goose chase ( no pun intended ) ----  I would guess since it is ducks , he will go to Federal Court as well as State and Parish courts 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 7:12 PM, retro said:

CWD is a problem in agricultural areas and in areas where people bait or feed deer. Monsanto & Dow agricultural herbicides are the cause. The DNR knows it, we all know it. We were never fooled. The DNR covers the Roundup link to CWD up and plays dumb under orders from the feds. In MIchigan the DNR altered baiting rules in an effort to control the disease and those rules have helped. But folks still buy treated corn and oats and feed deer all over the continent, so CWD may pop up anywhere. But the good news is, once the chemical-laced foods are taken away from the wildlife they recover and prosper. They'll tell ya all about CWD in about 40 years, like they told ya about DDT in the 70s, once all of the birth defects had run their course and folks weren't angry anymore.

I really question if this is a FEEDING deer issue

and my logic is this, many of the BIG players that feed deer INSANE amounts of food/corn, grains ans such, have for decades problem free, like Texas as an example, some wealthy ranches will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on feeding programs and hundreds of tons of corn(round up branded corn too boot) and they didn;t have the CWD issue's that are found else where

so, if feeding was causing the  disease, it should have started there IMO

YES if there ARE sick animals and you ARE feeding causing many to eat in the same   feeder, or pile or??

then I can see it HELPING to MAYBE spread to other dears, due to such close contact with each other and well, deer do drop food out of there mouths and others can then eat it?

But I know of Countless folks that have feed wildlife to decades and still do, and ZERO Issues, in countless states and locations

whee its NOT been found!

SO, IMO< this is a BIG reason to think its NOT feeding deer that is the problem!

NOW Once a it shows up in an area, it will NOT be good idea to keep feeding IMO< due to the above reasons

but the main cause I doubt is from anyone feeding them!

I again blame water quality and or other chemicals there getting some other way!