shrade

Forum Hunters?

MrBB, you need ta fa'axe that post ta dem boys at da Fish'a'rees cause dem boys ain't got a clue what ta do , sound like you sleep at da Holiday Inn and really up on da subject !!! LOL 

In my area CWD seems to show more during droughts and even more if we have a lot of fires. We fence off dams/dugouts to keep cattle out of them when the water gets stagnant.

• Like 1

What other chemicals? If you're so convinced then lay out the causal facts for us. Baseless opinion does not hide the elephant in the room.

Water quality has improved considerably in the last 50 years due to countless regulations passed to control corporate dumping of waste products. The number one pollutant nowadays is agricultural chemicals, both on the land and in the waterways. Where water pools and stagnates its a highly toxic problem, kills vegetation, frogs and amphibians, even mosquitos larvae in many cases!

Take a walk through a field of oats after its been sprayed at harvest time and see if you can make it across that field with your health intact? You won't walk very far before you'll be as dead as the ground you are walking on. No biological living thing survives Glyphosate and its derivatives.  It's common sense man.... there are no other deadly poisons allowed to be distributed on this planet. No other types of poisons are measurable in food crops after harvest except for high concentrations of commercial AG chemicals. There are no other measurable poison substances found in our natural waterways either, except for Mercury, which was distributed by corp dumping decades ago.

36 minutes ago, retro said:

What other chemicals? If you're so convinced then lay out the causal facts for us. Baseless opinion does not hide the elephant in the room.

Water quality has improved considerably in the last 50 years due to countless regulations passed to control corporate dumping of waste products. The number one pollutant nowadays is agricultural chemicals, both on the land and in the waterways. Where water pools and stagnates its a highly toxic problem, kills vegetation, frogs and amphibians, even mosquitos larvae in many cases!

Take a walk through a field of oats after its been sprayed at harvest time and see if you can make it across that field with your health intact? You won't walk very far before you'll be as dead as the ground you are walking on. No biological living thing survives Glyphosate and its derivatives.  It's common sense man.... there are no other deadly poisons allowed to be distributed on this planet. No other types of poisons are measurable in food crops after harvest except for high concentrations of commercial AG chemicals. There are no other measurable poison substances found in our natural waterways either, except for Mercury, which was distributed by corp dumping decades ago.

well, I have been farming part time for 30+ yrs, walked across many fields after harvest as well as been using round up and countless other like designed products

ain't killed me yet so?/ LOL

NOW< as for water quality

YOU think water is getting better??

10 yrs ago, most water ways in PA< held fish all yr and there were NO limits on how many you can consume

NOW< almost every water way in PA< fails to hold NATURAL fish, yr round, very few remaining streams, creek/ brooks that hold native fish, due to BAD water quality

VERY few water ways in PA< DON"T have limits or even BANS on how many fish you can catch and EAT safely!

processing plants have more chemicals added to KILL things in current waters now than ever and have MORE steps to making them SAFE to drink, and MANY folks DON"T trust them, its why BOTTLED water sells so much(and not like its all that much safer or better, but people FEEL it is)

NOW as for other chemicals

well, what about ALL the drugs HUMANS take, or give to our pets?
 where do you think the by products end up after going thru a body?

all the chemicals in TRASH we bury!

all the chemicals that we use and omit into the air, that end up coming back down and landing on plants water soil and so on!

face it, we humans are BAD for nature period!

NOW don't get me wrong I am NOT saying  round up and like Glyphosate are GOOD things for us humans or wildlife

BUT what I am saying is I doubt there the MAIN factor in CWD in deer, as like you said, its used EVERY where, by both professionals(farmers and likes) and the general public!

if it was causing CWD, it would be showing up every where in a LOT higher numbers!

can it be PART of the cause, MAYBE, like anything, when you start mixing things together, anything can happen IMO!

many state game depts like to BLAME farmers for a LOT of things too,  FACT here in PA
 a state that USED to be a top 5 pheasant state and now, have almost ZERO wild pheasants

guess who got  blamed for them going under??

Farmers!

they blamed modern farming for the MAIN cause of why we have NO wild pheasants here

YET magically, many LARGER more AG states  with more farmers/farms and farm land in acres!

still have them!

then they blamed habitat saying, we LOST too much of it, for them to survive

so they spent like 700+ million bucks on PEN raise and released birds so HUNTERS could shoot some(many got eaten by cats or hit by cars as they were too dumb to know how to survive after being pen raised and dumped into the wild)

then after about 30 yrs of this they FINALLY, came to the conclusion, it is NOT a viable thing to do>>
 HUMM< maybe they should have spent that money on habitat! and  studies on what happened

NOPE< that would have made sense>
 state game dept, also left the forests here in PA< get severely damaged from over populations of deer, to the point, 15+ yrs later, many forests are stil FAR from even close to recovering>

SO< IMO< don't think Game dept's are ALL that great at solving problems or making correct calls!

HECK< here in PA< they won't even take credit for dropping the ball on loosing pheasants, or all the destruction of habitat that also caused huge losses in numbers of tons of wildlife, from grouse(state game bird), woodcock, and many other HUNTED species!!

they act as if its NOT there JOB to have seen things and stopped them from happening

YET job description and title says other wise!

I am GLAD we have game depts for sure, but HANDS on first hand experience working with many , trust me, they ain;t all that GREAT at things as you would thing they should be!

and I will also say this, MANY states game dept's are LIGHT years ahead of other states game depts too!

worked with MANY over the yrs to see this first hand as well!

blaming Feeding deer as cause to this CWD< is a bunch of CRAP

it MIGHT help spread it, but its NOT the cause!

like it or not, MILLIONS of folks feed deer round up ready corn and tons of it

and if it was KILLING them,, we have very few deer in the USA !

same with them eating standing crops that get treated with it!

don't believe this

what do you think they feed MOST animals WE human eats??
 pig, cattle, chickens, turkeys??
treated corn and by products??

if round up was killing deer with CWD, it would be showing up in US humans as well, as other  animals raised to feed us!

I have bears here that are 16+ yrs old, that feed off corn fields below me,  eating a  few ton of corn every yr<

they seem pretty darn healthy to me still> LOL
 and countless other bears on other farms I managed that been there for YRS

as well as some deer I can ID< that are 7-9 yrs old and healthy  too!

I don;t drink the coolaid that round up/Glyphosate is causing CWD any way shape or form

nor is it from them eating corn!

I planed enough of it in food plots for decades and not a single case of it on the farms I did so!

something else is the cause IMO

way too easy to again, blame a chemical and or a farmer 

and to also be clear here a LOT of game depts, believe how CWD got into THERE state , is from a hunter having killed a deer in a  state with effected deer and bringing the HEAD back with them,

another possible cause is, , in PEN RAISED deer, where there is BIG $$$< and folks import genetics thru  the mail with sperm from other deer and then, well you know!

the QUEST for making MONEY, has lead to a LOT of things going BAD!

deer of almost un natural sizes and antlers is a goal, that is almost altering genetic make up, to produce them

ever wonder about this side of things?

MOST states that have issue's with CWD< also have  MUCH higher pend raised deer facilities now than ever as well?

Funny how more of them popping up and suddenly more outbreaks, and well, folks still want to point the finger at round up, thats been in use decades before the CWD issue's and Blue tongue( EHD) and other things!

Da old man sit on the pier at da bayou know a lot of stuff , one day he tell me , " don't drink da Kool Aid , it be mo poisonous than a cottonmouth  and mess up  ya head " 

• Like 2

Nice racks on some of those whitetails. I hunt as often as I can, which hasn't been often enough this season but I'm about to change that after Christmas.

I hunt in 2 counties that are just outside the CWD zone, so I started testing every one I kill last year. I'm not sure what to think about it honestly. Some scary stuff. They say a negative test is not a 100% guarantee the animal isn't infected and even though there aren't any documented cases in humans yet, some of the experts believe it's just a matter of time before there are. Then you have the difficulties of disinfecting/killing the prions. From what I've read it takes 1800 degrees to kill them. They say to wear gloves when handling them and avoid getting the bodily fluids on your gear. Fish & game recommends soaking your knives and such in a 50/50 bleach solution for 2 hours to disinfect them. All of that crap makes me not even want to shoot them anymore, let alone dress them and eat the meat. I'll probably never quit hunting though because I enjoy being out there. It is a great stress reliever.

11 minutes ago, KoolBreeze said:

Nice racks on some of those whitetails. I hunt as often as I can, which hasn't been often enough this season but I'm about to change that after Christmas.

I hunt in 2 counties that are just outside the CWD zone, so I started testing every one I kill last year. I'm not sure what to think about it honestly. Some scary stuff. They say a negative test is not a 100% guarantee the animal isn't infected and even though there aren't any documented cases in humans yet, some of the experts believe it's just a matter of time before there are. Then you have the difficulties of disinfecting/killing the prions. From what I've read it takes 1800 degrees to kill them. They say to wear gloves when handling them and avoid getting the bodily fluids on your gear. Fish & game recommends soaking your knives and such in a 50/50 bleach solution for 2 hours to disinfect them. All of that crap makes me not even want to shoot them anymore, let alone dress them and eat the meat. I'll probably never quit hunting though because I enjoy being out there. It is a great stress reliever.

this is also one of the BIG reasons, over the past many yrs, or in MY state, the game dept has been pushing hard to STOP people from throwing out remains after butchering in the woods and to have things taken care of in  different ways, as they also feel its a possibility that when people just throw things out in the woods to rot away, it can make other animals sick!

and yes it is a scary thing to think about the possibility of getting sick from eating wildlife

In the PA< Fish  lic book, it STATES how many fish you can SAFELY eat from most of the main waterways, and many places they again recommend you DON"T eat any at all!

same water again  deer and other wildlife animals drink from,

makes one wonder??

I know here in my area there are still many DEAD streams and creeks from mining, where water will NOT support life of fish and many other things, and again, DEER and other wildlife will drink it too ?

16 hours ago, mrbb said:

this is also one of the BIG reasons, over the past many yrs, or in MY state, the game dept has been pushing hard to STOP people from throwing out remains after butchering in the woods and to have things taken care of in  different ways, as they also feel its a possibility that when people just throw things out in the woods to rot away, it can make other animals sick!

and yes it is a scary thing to think about the possibility of getting sick from eating wildlife

In the PA< Fish  lic book, it STATES how many fish you can SAFELY eat from most of the main waterways, and many places they again recommend you DON"T eat any at all!

same water again  deer and other wildlife animals drink from,

makes one wonder??

I know here in my area there are still many DEAD streams and creeks from mining, where water will NOT support life of fish and many other things, and again, DEER and other wildlife will drink it too ?

Yeah, it's illegal here now to transport any carcasses outside of the CWD zone. I'm guessing a lot of people aren't following that though. I have friends that are refusing to test their deer for it, even though the testing is free. Fish & game are actually encouraging everyone to kill their limit this year to try and control the population and spread of it. I'm hoping they can contain someway but from I've read it's just a matter a time before it's everywhere.

That's a good point about the water supply. They say there is a high concentration in the saliva so it stands to reason any surface water supply would be contaminated.

53 minutes ago, KoolBreeze said:

Yeah, it's illegal here now to transport any carcasses outside of the CWD zone. I'm guessing a lot of people aren't following that though. I have friends that are refusing to test their deer for it, even though the testing is free. Fish & game are actually encouraging everyone to kill their limit this year to try and control the population and spread of it. I'm hoping they can contain someway but from I've read it's just a matter a time before it's everywhere.

That's a good point about the water supply. They say there is a high concentration in the saliva so it stands to reason any surface water supply would be contaminated.

No reports of CWD in my area yet.I wish my neighbors on both sides of us would stop feeding the deer.Not only for this but also making it harder to hunt.With the pressure they get,why come out in the day.They hit the feeders after dark half fill there bellies,and browse around the rest of the night.

I know North Louisiana put a ban on feeding,but are now letting people do it again.

5 hours ago, riverc said:

No reports of CWD in my area yet.I wish my neighbors on both sides of us would stop feeding the deer.Not only for this but also making it harder to hunt.With the pressure they get,why come out in the day.They hit the feeders after dark half fill there bellies,and browse around the rest of the night.

I know North Louisiana put a ban on feeding,but are now letting people do it again.

It seems like the feeding has changed their habits here also. They don't move as much during the daylight hours as they use too, until the rut at the least. It's going to be hard to put that genie back in the bottle though. Too much $$$ involved in it these days.

Edited by KoolBreeze

23 hours ago, KoolBreeze said:

It seems like the feeding has changed their habits here also. They don't move as much during the daylight hours as they use too, until the rut at the least. It's going to be hard to put that genie back in the bottle though. Too much $$$ involved in it these days.

You got that right a big money business.My local Walmart sells a lot of feeders.They will put out a pallet of rice bran and it sells fast.Most people who feed in my area use rice bran because they claim the hogs and bears don't eat it like corn.

23 hours ago, KoolBreeze said:

personally IMO I think most places deer got very very nocturnal due to both many places allowing feeding, and bigger picture, so many hunters that now pretend to be farmers and plant acres of food plots, feeding deer more like cattle , making them into more grazing animals than browsers that there supposed to be!

deer learned to eat in bulk at night in fields, when its dark out(safer) and the food is there 24/7 if need be

and its easier to eat in one place, than have to roam miles to get enough GOOD browse, and have to eat often all day long, as they do in heavy forested area/

NOW ,They can sit in one spot almost all day, move to a food plot, fill up and repeat, pretty much staying nocturnal if they wished to be!

add in how many deer now live in SMALL sections of wooded area's as to larger tracts of undeveloped lands

the safety factor alone, has made many deer learn night time movement are just safer!

and YES 100% on Walmarts selling corn, here it even says DEER CORN on the bags, yet, its Illegal to actually feed deer  here in PA

doesn;t stop many folks from doing it, and the game dept is fully aware of it for decades(heck for yrs it was part of there actually JOB to feed deer in winter time, even had a bunch of there own feeders on a farm I managed still with the state game dept ID tags on them LOL)

there view typically is, unless they get complaints about it, they turn a blind eye to it, UNLESS its in hunting season, then they LIKE to find folks hunting over./near it and fine them for hunting a baited area!

one of the funny things, or I sort of laugh at it is,

here in PA< the game  dept did a study a few yrs back about baiting deer, they did a few yrs of research, and afterwards, came to to the conclusion, that using BAIT< had ZERO difference on hunters killing deer!

stating there was NO difference in hunter success , to those that baited and those that didn't

so, they STUCK to there ban on baiting.

IMO< that's a LOT of BS, all animals live by there stomachs, easy food, attracts deer, and as such, your odds increase on killing ANY deer

most folks that bait, are being more picky, looking for antlers and such, not just filling tags!, not all, but many

SO< IMO< if there is NO difference in baiting or not, why is one illegal over the other!

real answer IMO here in PA< is,

they make a LOT of money off handing out fines to hunters they catch hunting over bait, easy money for them ! LOL

if they really wanted to stop baiting here, they should be targeting the folks selling the corn labeled for deer feed?

just like catching those that sell drugs, over just them that buy it?

So you say that it is illegal to  feed where you are at ---- does that mean you can't hunt over deer feed or  is it also illegal to feed deer on your property  if you just  like to look at them and feel sorry for them having such a hard winter ------------ much like you liking to feed bears  ----  down here you can't feed alligators for fun 

I'm with you on calling BS that it's not easier to kill deer by feeding them. Spin cast feeders, food plots, whatever your choice may be, it definitely makes for more opportunities, especially if you're just meat hunting. These days I enjoy the chase and just being out there seeing deer and other wildlife. Nothing like watching the woods come alive as the sun rises from a perch 20 foot a tree.

We mostly are meat hunters in Alaska, the game is wild, there is no feeding or attracting, except for bears. I don’t bait Bears.

We have Caribou and Moose around in pretty good numbers, it is all fair chase. The only trophy type hunting we do is the white Dall Sheep, they are high in the mountains. The sheep meat is probably the best wild game meat we have. The weather can make sheep hunting a real challenge. There are very few roads, so boats, planes, ATVs and snowmachines are how we get out to hunting ares. 

533BD785-B3E0-4EE6-B602-67ECB0EA1F2F.jpeg

• Like 7

Started the New Year off good.Shot a 8pt at 7:20 this morning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, riverc said:

Started the New Year off good.Shot a 8pt at 7:20 this morning.

Good deal! Haven’t had much luck yet myself. Shot a doe for a friend the other day but that’s about it. I have video of a pretty good one a couple days ago though, so hopefully my luck is about to change. He was in front of the camera at 11:00am the other morning with his tongue hanging out, so I’m guessing the rut is heating up here.