shrade

Forum Hunters?

Out checking trail cams last night we came across 7 cow elk. My buddy started calling and brought in a 6x6 bull. This photo is really grainy but i ranged him at 188 yards. He gave us a 5 minute look at his boiler. Then we pushed him off and two spike bulls came following. Two more down below never came in

01A39700-2C41-4715-AC4E-1E3EF74C7A97.jpeg

• Like 5

Well this sure wasn’t my plan... on my way to find a spot to place my ground blind.... to top it off my battery was stone dead today before I left. Someone forgot to turn the light bar switch off! So needless to say my winch worked but need a lot more juice. I was lucky to get outta there. Pics don’t do it justice. Even with the locker I couldn’t get out. Then managed to get the blind up though.. seen three does. Can only shoot a buck right now.. brought the battery charger & the new generator getting broken in that’s for sure!!

EC026A85-9A6C-43B1-9E87-74A0412BB1D1.jpeg

AC62DB0A-F80B-4974-A7C2-F9BF0F5AE06F.jpeg

2C648F14-257E-4999-94F5-B7DE2C482464.jpeg

7F61840C-F4E0-4559-9997-791B694A238A.jpeg

EB8DCDA9-CC1F-4E12-8FD4-EC0E3DDA7ABA.jpeg

904F82AB-176F-4287-87EF-7C5D201897B9.jpeg

9D75175F-22DD-4C2D-88A1-47BA8B91EC9B.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 9

Wheeler , nice pics , your 300 is very clean and rigged up for hunting  !!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

thanks Fish! Ya when I originally bought & built this one up, my goal was to have a quad that would get me through anything IF I had to go through it. I avoid what I can! Well this brook was one of those spots. I shouldn’t of attempted it by myself. It’s a pipeline that they reclaimed. Almost rolled it going into it as the bank wasn’t flat, & winching out the top of the bank was a lot steeper than it looks in the pic. Had the front wheels off the ground a few times. Battery was dead, so that just killed my winch power. But thank gawd between that & the locker & got me out! 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Wheeler , we got to make you the ATV Hunting Guru 

• Like 1

Hey Wheeler

Have you considered wiring your light bar to the accessory circuit? Pretty easy if you have a scrap quad harness, rob the connectors off it and build a Y harness. plug it Into your switched accessory power, reconnect one Y leg to the accessory and the second Y leg to your light bar switch.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

tAlmost rolled it going into it as the bank wasn’t flat.battery was dead, so that just killed my winch power. But thank gawd between that & the locker & got me out! 

Rolling on that new windshield would not have been good ...... 

You know a second battery fits very nicely into that rear storage box and leaves rooms for some other goodies ------  you  could do a battery isolator and have your winch on the second battery 

fullsizeoutput_c83.jpeg

• Like 1

On my trail cam last week—same bull

5C982984-B8EF-4DDB-B90B-3E3F3A9D8582.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 4

Just now, Goober said:

On my trail cam last week

5C982984-B8EF-4DDB-B90B-3E3F3A9D8582.jpeg

im jealous lol. I actually have the light bar tapped into the winch remote power wire which is tapped into the accessory pink wire IF memory serves me correct. Been few years now. Only switch I noticed that was on was the new one I installed for the laughter bar going to the relay. Battery was totally dead before I left my house. I’ll be sure to verify all my switches are off now. 

I have no room in the trunk for another battery. I’ve got the winch solenoid & excess wires & fuses in there I think.  

• Like 1

Just got home yesterday from 10 days at the hunting shack. Fabulous weather, saw almost 90 ruffed grouse and shot our limits. Had a moose and bear with cubs on the trail cam. Will upload when I get time. Also got in some painting, filled the wood shed, some target shooting and some beautiful joy riding. Heading back in the morning for 4 more days.

IMG_20201009_074548446.jpg

IMG_20201004_114712352_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200926_104151020_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201005_123720876.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Beautiful! Fall colors are just amazing

It was pretty. By the time we left 99% of the leaves were down.

• Like 1

question: what gun boot do ya'll recommend for my marlin 30-30 to put on my '03 trx450fm ?. i've got one on loan from my bud, but he'll want it back come modern gun season, looking at the coplin brand, i don't want something that will break the bank ?!. just need it to say where i mount it, and keep my gun dry/clean, not bounce around !.

my wife, trying to be sweet, bought me a Kolpin for Christmas a couple years back..but it's a full size one..

on one hand, it's nice if I choose to carry a full size hunting rifle w/scope.  it also can handle an AR with that large frame/lower than a normal bolt gun would have.

but for a lever gun..it's over kill and really so big that most of the time it isn't on my bike...I do have the metal hoop mount on the hike so it's quick n easy to pull the boot off the bike.

I believe there is a smaller Kolpin and I guess I should look at that.

If I'm out just doing a security sweep of the property I'll have a shorty shotgun slung over my back.

if I'm on my old Honda Trail 90, then there is a softside boot strapped to the front fork..and that's where the lever rifle lives..it's an older winchester 94..cosmetically rough so i don't much worry about more scratches to the butt stock from passing branches n brush.

• Like 1

This is one of a couple large n good hardwoods that decided to lay down across my riding trails..half of it was hanging out of the creek, so I wasn't in the mood to try and saw it up standing waste deep in water...that part of the tree is lost...these chunks on the ground are too dang heavy to lift by myself, so they'll have to get split where they lay before loading them into the trailer.

tree.jpeg

• Like 3

Guns go on my back, but I have a short ride in. I wouldn't want a scoped gun getting bounced around in a case. Here in Illinois its shotgun only, mine has a scope and no case. I miss my 45-70, well except for the kick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

question: what gun boot do ya'll recommend for my marlin 30-30 to put on my '03 trx450fm ?. i've got one on loan from my bud, but he'll want it back come modern gun season, looking at the coplin brand, i don't want something that will break the bank ?!. just need it to say where i mount it, and keep my gun dry/clean, not bounce around !.

if u look at the pics of my quad just above, that’s a Kolpin. My 45-70 fits great. My Savage 7mm with scope fits great, but my Rem 700 7mm with scope & Magpul Hunter Stock is a super tight fit. The stock is why.. I’d recommend the one I have. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

Father in law has a Kolpin.  It has a bracket that he bolted to the rear rack and then the case is held in place with a couple of pins.

He likes it.  Seems sturdy.

I put mine in a padded case and tuck it between the engine and my right leg, barrel down. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

if u look at the pics of my quad just above, that’s a Kolpin. My 45-70 fits great. My Savage 7mm with scope fits great, but my Rem 700 7mm with scope & Magpul Hunter Stock is a super tight fit. The stock is why.. I’d recommend the one I have. 

yeah..spotted that.  I actually have my mount on my right rear side of the rear rack...that way it rides lenght wise with me and doesn't stick out on the sides where i might catch it on a tree, etc.

but agree... I'm not on a lot of property, so most of the time I want my shotgun, or AR slung over my back.

• Like 3

Ya I put mine across the front as I have the rear storage box on the back. I’m super mindful of it in the front. I’ve been thru some nasty tight trails without issue as well. I like the ease of access in the front too. I don’t have to worry about tripping over it getting on or off the quad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mine is Kolpin. Doesn't stick out past the wheels, mounted level and butt first for fast access. Haven't had a scope get wacked out of zero yet.

IMG_20201015_163358413_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Chevymec said:

Rifle season is in as of today here. Been in the stand as of 6am. Seen 5 already.

That waiting game for the big one don't get it with me , you seen 5 and might go home with nothing , shoot the meat !!!!!! 

• Like 1

I don't hunt a lot no more , a few time a year , could hunt everyday right out my yard -----   I sling the gun over my shoulder which is a very bad idea , I catch every spider web , limbs and get it all dirt from riding sloppy trails and wet from morning dew ---- I wouldn't mind having a gun carrier , but it would have to quick release from the bike as I have multiple bikes and ride them in the mud most of the time  ---- is there a quick mount or a way to achieve that 

• Like 2