frenchy

oil leak

hi, new with this forum and i need your help please!!!

as you can see on the picture we ve got quiet a big problem !!

what need to be done to stop the leak, i am not such a mechanic but cant really afford to bring our atv to a shop to be be fix for us, could it be just a seal to be change??

late 2006 trx 420

thanks for your help, if there is any mechanic in the wrexham area who s  willing to come round you are welcome.....

IMG_20211019_103214800 (1).jpg

IMG_20211019_103214800 (1).jpg

Hi , welcome to the forum , 420 never came out till 2007 , so your right it is a late 2006 , LOL 

Looks like your diff is full of water , you say your not a mechanic , might be better to either buy another diff and attempt to change it yourself or have someone rebuild yours and do the job for you , the knowledge to do it can be had here , but you are going to you need a few tools 

image.png

welcome, the oil seals are bad. from the looks of the pic ^^ ?, its full of mud and water. you could pull the left rear side down, and replace the o-rings and oil seals this way ?, but its best to pull the whole diff, split it, change out all the oil seals, o-rings, and bearings when its apart. i'd bet money the bearings are about shot ?. with a few tools, you and all of us here can turn you into a good atv mechanic in no time !.

22 minutes ago, shadetree said:

welcome, the oil seals are bad. from the looks of the pic ^^ ?, its full of mud and water. you could pull the left rear side down, and replace the o-rings and oil seals this way ?, but its best to pull the whole diff, split it, change out all the oil seals, o-rings, and bearings when its apart. i'd bet money the bearings are about shot ?. with a few tools, you and all of us here can turn you into a good atv mechanic in no time !.

Yep agree with shadetree, I rebuilt my 450 engine with help from these guys hardly even being a backyard mechanic.  That is some ugly looking leakage, has this ATV been in deep water, sure looks like it???

2 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Yep agree with shadetree, I rebuilt my 450 engine with help from these guys hardly even being a backyard mechanic.  That is some ugly looking leakage, has this ATV been in deep water, sure looks like it???

thanks for the kind words !. yeah, its been in deep water/mud for sure !..lol.

• Like 1

Hi, you all sound very encouraging to do it he job myself but don't think I will have all the right tools for it, did look around for a spare diff but prices are so hight!! And no the atv not been swimming, just been using my flails mower and that happens!! Feel like mayo!! Oil and water!! Going to look around whatever help I can get and will let you posted, thanks all for your help again

If you overfill those diffs, they will leak like yours is.  Yours is "overfilled" in the sense that water has gotten in, mixed with the oil, and is now leaking out.

If you want it to last (these are expensive to replace) then you'll need to do as shadetree and fish recommended, take the diff off, take it apart, clean it out, and put it back together.

You don't need to be a mechanic to do this.  It's just nuts and bolts.  Take it apart, clean it out, replace seals and possibly bearings, and put back together. 

If the pinion bearings are loose, then the job becomes a little more difficult.  Simply taking the diff off and splitting it to inspect is just removing nuts and bolts, and we'll be happy to walk through it with you if you want to try it.

• Like 1

Hi, knowing me and tools, a pictures and instructions will be needed , if anyone know a website who does this kind of thing that will be great, did look at some on YouTube but seems too complicated. I need to have a go at it anyway if not the atv will have to go...

This is very similar to your diff.  This is a complete differential rebuild.  Before you go freaking out about it, keep in mind that if you take the side cover off and your bearings are ok, all that will be required is cleaning it out and pressing in new seals (you pry the old ones out, push new ones in place using a socket).

As long as your pinion gear bearings (the smaller of the two gears) are tight even replacing the ring gear bearings is as easy and driving the old ones out with a hammer and socket, and tapping new bearings into the case.

• Like 1

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

This is very similar to your diff.  This is a complete differential rebuild.  Before you go freaking out about it, keep in mind that if you take the side cover off and your bearings are ok, all that will be required is cleaning it out and pressing in new seals (you pry the old ones out, push new ones in place using a socket).

As long as your pinion gear bearings (the smaller of the two gears) are tight even replacing the ring gear bearings is as easy and driving the old ones out with a hammer and socket, and tapping new bearings into the case.

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

Am I correct that you are in the UK?  If so, shipping to anyone in the US will be cost prohibitive.  @SamUK might know of someone over there who would do it, but he's on here sporadically these days.

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

If you overfill those diffs, they will leak like yours is.  Yours is "overfilled" in the sense that water has gotten in, mixed with the oil, and is now leaking out.

If you want it to last (these are expensive to replace) then you'll need to do as shadetree and fish recommended, take the diff off, take it apart, clean it out, and put it back together.

You don't need to be a mechanic to do this.  It's just nuts and bolts.  Take it apart, clean it out, replace seals and possibly bearings, and put back together. 

If the pinion bearings are loose, then the job becomes a little more difficult.  Simply taking the diff off and splitting it to inspect is just removing nuts and bolts, and we'll be happy to walk through it with you if you want to try it.

will have to try it as soon as , need to know what sort of tools and witch seals or bearing i need to buy

will have to try it as soon as , will look around to found exactly  what sort of tools and witch seals or bearing kit i need to buy and where, thanks all

Shouldn’t need anything other than sockets/wrenches to get the diff removed and opened up.

I wouldn’t buy anything until you know what you’ll need to replace. Your bearings might be fine. Mighr just need cleaning and new seals

Don't buy anything till you take it apart , you have no clue how involved it is going to turn out ,  till it is apart ----

what could happen is , you buy seals ,  then when you get it apart the bearings are bad , and then the housing cracks when you try and get the pinion bearing out and you have to buy a new one anyways  and then will be stuck with the parts you already bought 

• Like 2

agreed^^^, do not buy anything until you get the diff off, split, then see what all you may, or may not need ?. one thing i have learned in my 30 yrs of doing this, its ALWAYS best to tear the project down, inspect it, see what i need ?, THEN ORDER PARTS !. can't tell you enough, on how many times i have in the past, dig in, order parts, then find out i need more parts !..lol.

• Like 3

Hi, will do, got the tools ready and will have a go at it tomorrow, what happen happen !! Been told to open it clean it and pray..then will try the back brakes to...

Only thing I forgot it's the oil for it!! Does it need to be Honda one or can I get Any wet clutch bike s one ?

3 hours ago, frenchy said:

Only thing I forgot it's the oil for it!! Does it need to be Honda one or can I get Any wet clutch bike s one ?

Do you need a copy of the service manual  ? 

On 10/19/2021 at 2:44 PM, shadetree said:

struggling already, skid plate and oil off but dont how to take  the diff off without taking the axel off

If you ve got one in hand that will be helpful thanks anyway did try my best to take it apart as you can see on the picture I am struggling, I can't open the diff as I don't know how to get rid of the black metal thing or the right!! Help!! Next step plz.  The rest look ok to me!! Just want to open the diff, clean it and put it back together...

16349898200011217278341.jpg

16349898582191568768141.jpg

1634989881563273610639.jpg

31 minutes ago, frenchy said:

If you ve got one in hand that will be helpful thanks anyway did try my best to take it apart as you can see on the picture I am struggling, I can't open the diff as I don't know how to get rid of the black metal thing or the right!! Help!! Next step plz.  The rest look ok to me!! Just want to open the diff, clean it and put it back together...

16349898200011217278341.jpg

16349898582191568768141.jpg

1634989881563273610639.jpg

ok, looks like you got the diff off the atv...correct ?, yes..the axle has to come out, once the axle is out of the diff, then you can unbolt the diff from the swing arm. looks like in yer pics ^^ ?, you got the diff off the atv ?, if so ?, now just remove the small bolts on one side of the diff, two are 14mm, the rest are 12mm, you will need a tube of yamabond to seal the cases back up..DO NOT USE RTV SEALANT !!. once the case half is off the main half, its all down hill from there, no need to replace the pinion seal unless you just want to do all of them ?. there are three oil seals, one is the pinion seal, other two are the carrier bearing/axle oil seals on each side the the diff where the axle pokes out. total of 4 bearings in this diff, two are for the pinion gear, other two are for the ring gear on each side where the axle rides in the diff.

• Like 1

If it hasn’t been run for a long time with that water in the diff, your bearings will likely be fine.

I think there’s an oring on the left side of the axle where it goes into the diff. Take a small pick and pull that out. Then the differential should slide off of the axles splines

• Like 1

Problem is I can't get the axle out the diff, won't come off...got the swing arm out now out both bearings or gone to dust....

17 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Problem is I can't get the axle out the diff, won't come off...got the swing arm out now out both bearings or gone to dust....

means the axle is rusted to the ring gear splines. soak it with some penetrating oil, then hammer the axle out to the right side, so hit the axle ( with castle nut on axle ) with a hammer and block of wood on the nut, axle comes out the right side.