Cliffcole

2020 420 turns over but won’t start. New fuel pump

Have a 2020 420 that turns over but won’t start. It’s been running fine, then all of the sudden it would die when warmed up. Put new fuel pump on and filter. Also new spark plug. Have tested injector, seems to be working. No fuel to spark plug. Need help

Shot of starter fluid in the intake.  Does it fire off?  If not, you have a spark problem.  If it does, you have a fuel delivery problem (in my experience, probably the FI relay).

Try that and report back.

• Like 1

It starts with starter fluid, just doesn’t seem to get enough fuel coming out of injector. If I disconnect hose from fuel tank, it comes pouring out when trying to start it

45 minutes ago, Cliffcole said:

It starts with starter fluid, just doesn’t seem to get enough fuel coming out of injector. If I disconnect hose from fuel tank, it comes pouring out when trying to start it

tells me the injector is dirty ?, or bad ?.

• Like 2

Sounds like a clogged injector.  Order a used one from powersportsnation.  Should be about $10 shipped.  Try it and see.  Had a 13 DCT 420 recently that had the same issue.  New injector fixed it.

Alright thanks, I’ll order a new injector to see if that fix’s it. Will let y’all know. I tested injector by hooking up battery and sprayed cleaner through it, comes out fine.

Edited by Cliffcole

Can't believe you're already getting issues with a 2020.  Has it been sunk/ abused? 

I'd take the injector off and try blowing back through it with compressed air before you order a new one.  You need to make sure that's the problem before you start throwing parts at it (unless the parts are cheap like the 07-13 injectors are LOL)

Try running a jumper wire from 12V + on the battery to the red/black wire on the coil.  See if that changes anything.  That will bypass the bank angle sensor, fuel injection relay, and a few other components that can cause issues with the EFI. 

I'd hate for you to buy a new injector if you have a fuel injection relay going south or other electrical issue. 

When you say you pulled the fuel line "off the tank" do you mean you disconnected it at the injector and it sprayed fuel everywhere?

It hasn’t been sunk or abused. Started out couple weekends ago when riding and get warmed up it would die. Wait ten minutes it would start back up but not for long. Then rode around yard and stop running since

Yes , pulled hose from injector and plenty of fuel comes out. I’ve tried connecting jumper wire to red and black. Just turns over no start

I have a 2020 Rancher. I just received a recall for a defective fuel pump that will be replaced free of charge.  Here is a picture of the recall letter 

IMG_1094 (1).jpg

On 10/19/2021 at 1:39 PM, Cliffcole said:
  Reveal hidden contents

6936C878-80D2-430B-BC3F-2A41B730E04B.jpeg

please tell me..you are NOT installing this auto fuel pump in this atv ??!!!...sigh.

32 minutes ago, Cliffcole said:

Is it not good, seems to work. But might be my problem

did you not read the post above ^^^, about the fuel pump recalls ?, stop with the auto crap, look into them replacing your pump free of charge ?, or install an oem pump, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH AN AUTO PUMP...SIGH.

I read the post above and not all 2020 420 pumps are recall. They go by serial number and mine wasn’t coved. But a whole pump and assembly today from honda

2 hours ago, Cliffcole said:

I read the post above and not all 2020 420 pumps are recall. They go by serial number and mine wasn’t coved. But a whole pump and assembly today from honda

they go by vin numbers, not serial numbers, and i did not see any vin numbers on that letter head that was posted ?, but this does not mean they have a list somewhere ?. good deal on going oem from honda !.

5 minutes ago, Cliffcole said:

Put new oem pump on a runs like new, thanks guys

good deal..thank you for listening to our/my/ advice...if it was not important ?, we would not tell you things !. glad ya got it going !.