DeTaylor

2000 Foreman 450ES

Hey guys, 

Been pretty busy on the machine the past two weeks so thought I’d share what I’ve been up to. Sadly I have not gotten any pictures really. 

So far I have:

• Converted front brakes to disks (so happy with this choice). I highly recommend the SuperATV kit. Easy to install and a great price. 
  • sent my lcd screen off to AKATV to be restored. Posted a review as well but incredibly happy with Ron’s work. 
  • tore apart the seized rear drum and rebuilt it. Replaced the arm, dust boot, cam cylinder, and shoe.  I do have a problem here that I need to look into. During this process I lost all pressure in my rear hand brake. Let me know if anyone has ideas as to why this may have happened. 
  • pulled off some body panels and have been painting them black since they were terribly sun faded. Will be doing the front and rear fenders sometime next year. 
  • replaced the primer pump as it was leaking fuel. 
  • replaced the brake master cylinder. Cylinder was shot and a bolt was broken off in the cap housing. 

Been a fun process so far and looking forward to doing more upgrades. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DeTaylor said:

I do have a problem here that I need to look into. During this process I lost all pressure in my rear hand brake. Let me know if anyone has ideas as to why this may have happened. 

•  

Rear brake Pressure , that's not the correct terminology ??? -----    The rear brake works by cable , so it is either out of adjustment , the indexing of the cam to the brake arm is off or the cable stretch  ---- you can reindex the brake arm to cam to get a little more adjustment

Did you get the extra 10% off the brake kit  ? 

@Fishfiles definitely incorrect terminology. The handle had tension before I took it apart so I’m struggling to believe that it stretched. I will try adjusting it and see what I can do. 

And yes, got the 10% off! 

thanks!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeTaylor said:

@Fishfiles definitely incorrect terminology. The handle had tension before I took it apart so I’m struggling to believe that it stretched. I will try adjusting it and see what I can do. 

And yes, got the 10% off! 

thanks!!

If you took the brake arm off the cam then it is possible that you did not get it aligned properly , that is what I am calling indexing , you can take the arm off the cam and move the arm a bit , that will make it grab harder , I call that re-indexing 

You know SuperATV sells a rear disc conversion for your 450 also 

@Fishfiles when I put it all back together I lined up the dimples on the arm and cam. I’ll take a look and see if that helps. 

I did see their rear conversion kit but was hoping I wouldn’t have to go that route with rebuilding the rear and putting disks on the front. If the rear ever gives me trouble again I will likely go that route. 

46 minutes ago, DeTaylor said:

@Fishfiles when I put it all back together I lined up the dimples on the arm and cam. I’ll take a look and see if that helps. 

I did see their rear conversion kit but was hoping I wouldn’t have to go that route with rebuilding the rear and putting disks on the front. If the rear ever gives me trouble again I will likely go that route. 

When you put it back together you didnt take into account wear on the drum.

Pull the arm half way off the shaft , turn it backwards several teeth, and reinstall.  This way the cam is turned partially in the "rest position".  Then tighten the wing nuts until the brake is dragging a bit, then barely back off the wing nut.

There's quite a bit of adjustment in that rear brake setup.  In my experience the rear brakes usually don't work for long even after getting them working. 

3 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

When you put it back together you didnt take into account wear on the drum.

Didn’t even think about drum wear. Was hoping to get a year or two out of the drum before having to go to disks. Might come sooner than later from the sound of it. 

18 minutes ago, DeTaylor said:

Didn’t even think about drum wear. Was hoping to get a year or two out of the drum before having to go to disks. Might come sooner than later from the sound of it. 

I don't even mess with my rear brakes anymore.  The discs on the front work well enough to be all that I need.

• Like 1

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

I don't even mess with my rear brakes anymore.  The discs on the front work well enough to be all that I need.

This is what I noticed day 1 as well. 

rear drum brakes on almost all honda's are worthless over time. you either index the cams back words to allow for the brake drum wear ?, or you pony up, and buy a new brake drum ( if they are still around ? ) , and they are not cheap by any means  !. if the drum is worn down very bad ?, then you have a couple more options, wrap the cam with flat tin to spread the shoe area out further ?, or weld metal onto the shoe area ( add ), grind it flat, this spreads the shoe area out further as well. all of this is the redenck way of '' getting by '' ?, but when money is a problem ?, it can work.

• Like 2

More progress today. Gun Mount, led pods, and body panels put back on with hand made badges. Not too bad in my opinion. 

5CEDAF63-6576-4290-BAA1-3F70CE101006.jpeg

68F65E75-E5E3-4BE8-A658-516F52C69F21.jpeg

1F68AF73-19D6-4DD0-9C33-954F3D094825.jpeg

• Like 4