Mully

2000 es450 neutral and reverse lights on

Hi all

A es 450 year 2000 neutral and reverse lights on -- for gear position.  From reading other posts I'm thinking wiring faults.  

And help appreciated.  

Thanks Mully

could be a bad gear position switch ?, could be a bad angle sensor ?. another reason i hate es models, nothing but trouble from them. can also be a bad c.d.i..

Thanks shadetree 

When I unplug the large plug from ecu the dash lights display correct and N in gear position display . 

FYI there is also a fuse that will blow and make both the Reverse and Neutral lights come on at the same time

Dont remember which one right off, but its worth a check for a quick fix

Found that fuse , it's a 30amp just behind the other fuses and it was blown.  Replaced it and all working correctly now. Thanks so much for all help.  Only thing on my mind is why did it blow ????

• Like 1

Mully

Glad it helped, most time I find that fuse blows when someone tries to jump start it with jumper cables and puts them on backwards or installs the battery momentarily backward

Either that, or a short from positive to ground while working on machine without unhooking battery

You might want to make sure your voltage regulator is working properly as well, as I have seen a few that were shorted blow that fuse

Could have been something else, but its rare to see one that keeps blowing -so I would think you are good to go

See you around,

AKATV

Edited by AKATV

Noticed a few tails sticking from positive lead at battery connection, thinking they could have touched bracket over battery,  fingers crossed thanks for input.Found that fuse , it's a 30amp just behind the other fuses and it was blown.  Replaced it and all working correctly now. Thanks so much for all help.  Only thing on my mind is why did it blow ????

• Like 1

Fault returned , 30A fuse gone again. Turned out to be regulator blowing fuse. Just letting you know .

Something I seen before on a 450 , where the harness goes from top of the frame to bottom of the frame , side of the carb , right side of the frame , in front of the air box 

IMG_6601.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

fullsizeoutput_972.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Something I seen before on a 450 , where the harness goes from top of the frame to bottom of the frame , side of the carb , right side of the frame , in front of the air box 

IMG_6601.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

fullsizeoutput_972.jpeg

was out at catfish's place yesterday, he bought 3 atvs, all 3 are 500's, two of them are auto/es..( poor guy, or poor me ?..lol ) noticed both of the auto's have mice damage, one of them had the spark plug cap chewed on right where the cap turns red..mice sure love red colors !..lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

was out at catfish's place yesterday, he bought 3 atvs, all 3 are 500's, two of them are auto/es..( poor guy, or poor me ?..lol ) noticed both of the auto's have mice damage, one of them had the spark plug cap chewed on right where the cap turns red..mice sure love red colors !..lol.

PICS!

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

PICS!

haha..after yer text..i figured you would not want to even see them ?, the auto's are 2001 models, and we both know what the blue 2wd trx500tm looks like, i don't even wanna touch that atv !..those were the models with a stupid oil bolt drain design flaw !!.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

haha..after yer text..i figured you would not want to even see them ?, the auto's are 2001 models, and we both know what the blue 2wd trx500tm looks like, i don't even wanna touch that atv !..those were the models with a stupid oil bolt drain design flaw !!.

Yeah, chances are the 01's both have shot Hondamatics if they ended up at Catfish's place. 

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah, chances are the 01's both have shot Hondamatics if they ended up at Catfish's place. 

well, one was doing good..until it bleed oil out of the front oil cooler line that got cut with a cut-off wheel i guess ?, they ran a very nice slot in the oil line. myself ?, i'd never own an auto to save my life.