Fishfiles

Warn/Wide Open 424 kickout installation/manual

This video might come in handy for a 424 cable repair 

• Like 3

We went riding Saturday past , I rode the wife's pink 300 , rode for a long time and when I went for 4wd , it would not engage ------ finished with 2wd only ,  just came in from the yard , jacked the tires off the ground and was working the knob in and out while spraying some lube into it and wham , knob came off in my hand from a broken cable  --- lucky I have a kit for it , new cable 

fullsizeoutput_f95.jpeg

• Like 2

did the detent balls come out ? they gave me a fit  putting the switch back together.....when i went to fine tune mine, i wonder if wheeler, jeep, wheeler, or Mac had that happen along with anyone else here who has a 424 kickout, i take it the switch is the same on the warn as it is on the wide open model, i would think so. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

did the detent balls come out ? they gave me a fit  putting the switch back together.....when i went to fine tune mine, i wonder if wheeler, jeep, wheeler, or Mac had that happen along with anyone else here who has a 424 kickout, i take it the switch is the same on the warn as it is on the wide open model, i would think so. 

There are at least 3 different style knob assemblies over the productions of the 424 , the first ones had two small bearings , then they went to one bigger ball --- the detent ball is still in place ,  you can  see it in the pic ---- that cable was replaced before , I got this 424 from Charlie Long at Dick's Cycles for $50 a very long time ago , and then rebuilt it with a $100 kit 

• Like 1

thanks fish..... i had no idea they had defrent switches.. if i recall right ? mine (which is a wide open brand) had 2 the instructions don't show, and it's been over 5 years sence i took the switch apart to add a heavy duty spring, and fine tune the gear clearance. 

• Like 2

Rebuilt my wife's 300's 424 , cable had broke the end off , cable wasn't frozen , could engage it with the mini vise grips , the bearings are still good , so did not change the bearings  , was able to get it out the atv by removing the diff bolts and moving the diff forward , cleaned it out and repacked it with grease ---- need to find somewhere that can make a cable 

bzWH007%QEKTXsDyxMbLig.jpg

fullsizeoutput_fa7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fa3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fa2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fa1.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Rebuilt my wife's 300's 424 , cable had broke the end off , cable wasn't frozen , could engage it with the mini vise grips , the bearings are still good , so did not change the bearings  , was able to get it out the atv by removing the diff bolts and moving the diff forward , cleaned it out and repacked it with grease ---- need to find somewhere that can make a cable 

bzWH007%QEKTXsDyxMbLig.jpg

fullsizeoutput_fa7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fa3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fa2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fa1.jpeg

Did u see how I fixed mine! I had same issue. I’ve got a thread on it some where.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

Did u see how I fixed mine! I had same issue. I’ve got a thread on it some where.. 

I looked for it , used Wheller and 424 any idea of the name pf the thread , or a word in the name 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I looked for it , used Wheller and 424 any idea of the name pf the thread , or a word in the name 

I’ll find it & get back to u

• Thanks 1

Don't know where to stick this pic , but kind of cool 

Edit :

When I posted this pic it was because of the Warn guard , did not realize at the time the atvwas for sale , he wants $4,500 for  it , it is clean in the pics , but  I am think = LOL 

image.png

• Like 1

So I had a little water in the transfer case , so drill and tap the cap , best way I found to hold it down while drilling and tapping , drain and flush , 1/2 Lucas Hub Oil and 1/2 marine grease , it took 160 pumps to come out the vent tube , after the ride this weekend I am going to pump ot full again , front diff is already greased for a few years now , if you go in the water , greasing is by far the way to go ----

* if I could find someone to make this 424 cable , I could make some serious denaro 

gCfU4ePLRiOEjKNXGuCbSQ.jpg

4OWlk3njRumjQjnObaM42Q.jpg

bY2%8idJRCSaOE99qSLybg.jpg

• Like 2

My kid's 300 has a 424 on it, and it wouldn't lock in 2wd.  I think I had it adjusted a little tight anyway, so this morning I took it apart. 

What's the best grease/lube to use to keep the detents free and the handle sliding in and out freely?  My cable is fine, and this thing was new when I installed it, and hasn't been used much at all before the knob wouldn't lock back anymore.

0CEED0E3-CA57-4799-BB95-A4A2234FBC55.jpeg

• Like 1

Have a tube of that sitting on my workbench.  I'll slather it up.  What do you use for cable lube?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Have a tube of that sitting on my workbench.  I'll slather it up.  What do you use for cable lube?

Got some Yama-lube aerosol cable spray that is for the cable luber , the cable luber doesn't fit on the 424 cable , but the straw tube does kind of get some into the cable -- comes out as a liquid and turns to grease 

• Like 1

Got the 424 torn down, cleaned up, and greased.  It still doesn't want to lock into 2wd easily; takes some pulling and wiggling, but at least it now will lock into 2wd.

I got one of the little balls out but the other one wouldn't come out to clean it up, so I did the best I could with it still in the barrel.

I have the adjustment all the way in too, so it should be the "easiest" to lock in that I can make it.

Definitely makes for a whole different ride than riding with it locked in 4wd all the time though!

• Like 1