shadetree

1986 trx350 fourtrax

well crap, catfish just had to set me up with not 1 ?, but 2 1986 trx350 fourtrax's to try and get running ?!. sigh..i can't catch a break from him it seems..lol. i have not taken any pics yet ( should have done this while i was unloading them here ), one of them is in great shape, and i mean great shape !. other is torn apart in motor places, guess someone does not know how to work on them ???..rofl. luck has it...i know a tad about them. i told catfish, our biggest issue is going to be locating c.d.i.'s for them if they old ones are bad ?. it will be used all the way from what i've searched for the other day, no new c.d.i.'s from honda..nor after market c.d.i.'s. it will be a while before i start in on these. i got too many projects on the list now, these will have to sit on the back burner for awhile.

• Like 6

I’m looking forward to your work on these two. Getting little worn seeing everyone working on 450s LOLs 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Goober said:

I’m looking forward to your work on these two. Getting little worn seeing everyone working on 450s LOLs 

lol..well...i'm still going full steam ahead on my 2004 trx450fm project...man...this work is killing this old man !.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Keeps you young!

uh huh...rofl. my mind keeps going, but my body say's h__II no !...

• Like 2

here is a couple pics of the future 1986 trx350 fourtrax projects. first pic is the best one out of the two, plastics are mint !.

IMG_1777.JPG

IMG_1778.JPG

• Like 5

On 10/31/2021 at 2:18 PM, Goober said:

😎 that complete one has a plow mount on the side i can see

i don't think it does ?, i'll find out later when i get it in my shop.

even if this buyer backs out on the 2004 trx450fm today ?, i still have to get it out of my shop, and roll the good looking '86 trx350 fourtrax into my shop, and give her a going over, see what i am dealing with ?, i hope it is just either a bad fuel pump ?, or a bad fuel cut-off relay ?. if it turns out to be the c.d.i. ?, i have no idea how i will solve that problem ?, as of right now, there is no new oem c.d.i.'s from honda on the market that i know of ?. that will put the hurt to getting it running !. i will have to source a used c.d..i. from ebay or power sports nation maybe ?. i really wish honda would stop doing away with old stuff !!!. it is a money game for them these days..they do not want folks with anything older than 10 yrs running anymore !!!. grrrr.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

even if this buyer backs out on the 2004 trx450fm today ?, i still have to get it out of my shop, and roll the good looking '86 trx350 fourtrax into my shop, and give her a going over, see what i am dealing with ?, i hope it is just either a bad fuel pump ?, or a bad fuel cut-off relay ?. if it turns out to be the c.d.i. ?, i have no idea how i will solve that problem ?, as of right now, there is no new oem c.d.i.'s from honda on the market that i know of ?. that will put the hurt to getting it running !. i will have to source a used c.d..i. from ebay or power sports nation maybe ?. i really wish honda would stop doing away with old stuff !!!. it is a money game for them these days..they do not want folks with anything older than 10 yrs running anymore !!!. grrrr.

Seller says this one came off an 86

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Fourtrax-Foreman-350-D-86-CDI-ECU-ECM-Box-30410-HA7-672-2-31559-/363589767609?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

got a cut or blister in it

Edited by Goober

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

PSN posted a CDI for an 86 this morning.  It's dang pricey, but at least you know they stand behind what they sell.

44 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

PSN posted a CDI for an 86 this morning.  It's dang pricey, but at least you know they stand behind what they sell.

have not checked psn yet, i wont go searching until i know for a fact neither one is firing ?.

• Like 1

I saw there’s maybe a subharness pulled loose in front of the fuel pump. Hopefully bad fuel pump or bad connectors on that harness 

I’m sure you already know this but just in case of misunderstanding. Keep in mind the 86 model Fourtrax uses the same CDI as the 87 Fourtrax model. 87 had two models the A and the D. 

Here’s a pic of a set of mid-frame plow mounts for the 86-89 models.  Bolts behind footpegs and uses the footpeg mounts. I take mine off every spring so they don’t hang up when I’m on trails. 

8CCEBFBC-FE6D-4494-8A56-6181AE3CEC72.jpeg

20 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I seen that , looking thru my news letter , at the moment I  thought it was the most expensive cdi I ever seen on PSN , they know they are hard to come across 

update: i rolled the old girl into the shop yesterday, started with the removing that stupid fuel tank off the rear rack. then pulled the fuel pump off, the wires were not only '' jerry '' rigged ?, but also bare right there where they go into the pump housing !..grrrr. tossed that pump in the trash, grabbed another pump from the pile catfish sent me home with, nope, no good, grabbed another from the pile, at first it would not operate, took the end off, seen it was in decent shape at the contacts , used some fine sand paper on the contacts, sprayed it with some wd-40, used air compressor to blow it dry, plugged it into my spare battery, it seemed to work ?, hooked it up to the main fuel tank, it would operate, but no fuel would come out ?, checked the fuel line to the tank by blowing air back into the line with the fuel cap off the tank, i could hear air bubbles inside the tank ( yes..i checked tank for rust ? was clean ! , and yes, i filled with fresh gas ). ran pump some more, nothing was coming out of pump line ?..hmmm..ok, carefully blew low air pressure backwards into pump, then i heard a '' pop ''..like something gave way inside pump ?, hooked the pump back up to battery, sure enough..i got gas coming out of line !.

Then i pulled carb off, opened up the float bowl, it was fairly clean ?, put it back together, installed carb, hooked line up to carb, ran the pump straight to my battery, listened to the pump work, then got slower, stopped with the battery connection. turned the key on, pushed the start button, after a bit..SHE CRANKED AND RAN !. ( yes i had already checked oil level ), shut her down. cranked her again..found out that the starter was not turning the engine over like it should ?, ONE-WAY BEARING WAS BAD !. all while doing that, i seen that the end of the muffler was about to fall out, it is an old cobra muffler model. catfish came by about then, grabbed the muffler, took it to a local muffler shop, had it welded, and back to me. have not installed it back in yet, might get that done today ?. in the mean time later last night ( i took a break ), i went back out to the shop, got the old girl on her right side, pulled the left side down, got the flywheel off, located a spare one-way starter bearing, swapped that out. used yamabond to seal the side cover with, bolted that back on, while doing all this, is when i seen the starter teeth were almost gone !..lol. yep..out comes the starter..into the trash pile..lol. i will see if the parts bike has a good starter today ?, if so ?, i'll pull it out, install it in this good atv that is in my shop.

So, the good news is, she is running, very happy i don't have to do any engine work..yet ?!..lol. i'll go through the normal checks today, gear oil, air filter, brake check. will keep this thread updated as i go. 

• Like 5

Good thing ya saw that bad starter gear. When those reduction gears blow they like to ruin the stator 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Goober said:

Good thing ya saw that bad starter gear. When those reduction gears blow they like to ruin the stator 

reduction gear was shot, and the starter teeth too !.

O btw i have a cobra muffler. There’s a single screw used to pull out and repack the fiberglass around the baffle. Otherwise might  be too loud for yer buyer

E8A1089F-8AFF-4919-8B98-8C3F9E224EC0.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Goober said:

O btw i have a cobra muffler. There’s a single screw used to pull out and repack the fiberglass around the baffle. Otherwise might  be too loud for yer buyer

E8A1089F-8AFF-4919-8B98-8C3F9E224EC0.jpeg

the muffler was welded shut, its pretty quite now..no way to get it apart now..lol.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Goober said:

Here’s a pic of a set of mid-frame plow mounts for the 86-89 models.  Bolts behind footpegs and uses the footpeg mounts. I take mine off every spring so they don’t hang up when I’m on trails. 

8CCEBFBC-FE6D-4494-8A56-6181AE3CEC72.jpeg

i did notice one of these brackets on the right side, looked on left side, none was there ?, and nothing under the front ?, so i guess the parts were taken off , other than the right side bracket.

• Like 1