shadetree

1986 trx350 fourtrax

been a min or two sense last update ?, currently working the second '86 trx350 fourtrax, carb was not acting right ?, swapped c.d.i. thinking it was that ?, nope, ran just as bad with good c.d.i. from other trx350 fourtrax. changed rocker box, old rocker box had some wear ( flat spots on intake rocker face ), still no change. well, after a little digging, it seems the choke valve is NOT the correct part ?!. need to round up a new choke valve ( another valve ), and get that sorted out. then onto brake work. i hope to have it all back together here in a few days, ready for its owner that is waiting on it already. will try to keep this thread updated on progress.

• Like 1

update: yep, seems the wrong choke valve was the problem !. it runs a lot better now that i got ( i hope ? ) the correct valve installed. it will top out now with throttle pushed wide open, and not bog down. i need to get to the gas station, fill my can up, get back here, get the fuel tank operating so i can '' fine tune '' the carb and check the valve lash. will keep this thread updated as i go.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

image.png

9 VALVE SET, STARTER
16046-HA7-920 
$51.53
$50.32

Add 
9 VALVE SET, STARTER
16046-HA7-671 
$51.53
$50.32

I  like to put a shot glass ( one ounce)   of Seafoam to every gallon of gasoline in the tank 

valve shows a seal on that one ^^ fich shows it without seal ?.

10 hours ago, shadetree said:

valve shows a seal on that one ^^ fich shows it without seal ?.

That print I linked is Partzilla for a 1986 TRX350A   ----   I know from the 300s that they sell  a OEM plunger retrofit / replacement kit  , which that might be as it just doesn't look right in that kit pic'ed above  ---- also looks to be silver colored  , I am use to seeing gold plungers 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

That print I linked is Partzilla for a 1986 TRX350A   ----   I know from the 300s that they sell  a OEM plunger retrofit / replacement kit  , which that might be as it just doesn't look right in that kit pic'ed above  ---- also looks to be silver colored  , I am use to seeing gold plungers 

you are correct on this ^^^ !. its prob a china knock off.

update: had to tear the top end back down,swap out the head, had a leak on the header pipe, it was worse than i thought from the start. got it torn down yesterday, another head with none-stripped out header pipe bolts put back on, all the top end was put back together, all i need to do now is start putting the pieces back together for another test run on engine.

• Like 4

The older choke plungers may have been brass but the new ones are not; silver, like aluminum 

Edited by Goober

44 minutes ago, Goober said:

The older choke plungers may have been brass but the new ones are not; silver, like aluminum 

Might be from the Philippines , the new China ----   lol