torreyharvey

Gauge display

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2002 Honda foreman 500 rubicon! I’m excited to get it all tuned up and the first thing I want to get taken care of is the display being unreadable. I’ve heard @AKATV can repair them! Please let me know if this is true!

11 minutes ago, torreyharvey said:

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2002 Honda foreman 500 rubicon! I’m excited to get it all tuned up and the first thing I want to get taken care of is the display being unreadable. I’ve heard @AKATV can repair them! Please let me know if this is true!

AKATV is your man to fix meters..not sure if he does that model or not ?, he'll be in touch !.

Those early Rubicon meters don't have all the imprinting on them that the later 500 models have, so hopefully he can fix you up.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Post a picture or two of what your speedometer looks like and we can take it from there

I have sent my contact information to your message box as well

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AKATV. I have a 2000 Honda 450S. There is a dead/burnt spot in the display. I removed the polarizing film as in reading the various forums it said that the polarizing film was likely the culprit. Turns out the spot is coming from between the two layers of glass. Is that repairable or am I looking at a new display?  If you are able to fix this please send me your contact information. 
Thanks. 

Hi Terry

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately for some reason the 450S model speedometer is very prone to this defect

I call them "ink spots" but its just an internal failure of the LCD itself

It would have to be replaced and I currently do not have any at this time

I will keep my eyes and ears out and see if I can source a glass

-just be aware, most times even when you do find one, it will need the polarization films replaced as well

Edited by AKATV

I guess I could replace the polarizing film and continue to use it for now. 
do you expect to get some of the glass?  I imagine the repair would be a better option than replacing the display. 

I’ll keep my eyes open and see if I can come up with something and I will let you know

Generally repair is about 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a new display depending on what work you need to have done

Edited by AKATV

AKATV,  I found a three light combination meter but it doesn’t have the same plug end. Do you think the glass would be compatible with my three light unit?  I’m thinking I could transfer the LCD over to my combination meter. What do you think?  

75F990AD-56AB-45C6-92D1-85E6A6D7CBAA.jpeg

7F8F384A-77B6-4A53-99B8-02B76B291EF9.jpeg

I think what you’re going to run into is this-

The one speedometer that has fewer wires is a non-ES Speedometer the other one with more wires is an ES Speedometer

The non-ES Speedometers do not have gear position indicators on there they only have miles per hour

It looks like to me that your 450 S Speedometer has the old

black ink spot of death on the right side I guess that’s what you’re trying to fix is that correct?

Those are pretty common -actually all too common on the 450 S Speedometers

Edited by AKATV

Yes absolutely. I like for things to work they way they are supposed to. 

They

have a combination meter with the right plug end and four lights. 
I also have the fun of trying to make sure the lcd is for a kilometre based model.  

The four light speedo they have has fewer wires connecting it as you mentioned. The additional light is for models that can switch between 2 and 4wd 

the black spot in my speedo prevents me from reading the kilometres on the machine and the one digit for speed. 

56190155-F7B0-4407-B74A-AD1424C01552.jpeg