machinecrook

Winch Issues - Yamaha BigBear 350

Hey guys, unlike my other thread in this section; this is actually not a joke 🙂

My buddy bought a Yamaha BigBear 350 1996 in mint condition. It came with a shovel attachment for plowing snow.

I tested it yesterday evening after a snow storm and it worked amazing. As I was plowing I noticed the winch reel starting to slow down. It wouldn't lift or lower the shovel as quickly and seemed to be taxing the battery (light would dim quite a bit when engaging the winch buttons). Eventually, the winch just wouldn't move; even when I lifted the top of the shovel to give the cable more slack.

The battery tests out at 12.35V when disconnected from the battery tender. The bike starts great using the starter. I plugged in the battery tender and the voltage goes to 12.46. 

Any ideas where I should start? I was going to take it apart yesterday but it was -20 celcius. Decided to make a fire inside instead 😅

BigBear350.jpg

• Like 2

sounds like the winch is on the way out ?. what is the name of the winch ?. I favor warn winches all the way.

Someone might have repacked the gear assembly with too much and too thick of grease causing it to freeze up in the cold weather. If the winch line spool jumped it could be jamming things up.

• Like 1

Sounds like something is hanging up.  I'd check the spool first.  I wouldn't think it would freeze while you were using it. 

Always a good idea to see if the battery is charging when running.  It should be 14 vdc or so, if less than that might have an issue with the charging system or battery itself.   Sometimes when batteries dont have the voltage needed they may start ok but when taxed with accessories, and I'm sure the winch has a large draw, it can't keep up....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, machinecrook said:

The battery tests out at 12.35V

That battery is done!

• Like 3

Needs a battery, she's ready for the scrap heap.

Next I'd say inspect the motor, it may be dirty/dusty or in need of replacement brushes if your lucky. Worst case, the comm is knackered..!! Not worth having repaired on a small winch so time for a new winch.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, will be taking it apart over the holidays. I gotta say... The way the battery is placed on a Yamaha makes me miss working on my Honda lol

30 minutes ago, machinecrook said:

Thanks guys, will be taking it apart over the holidays. I gotta say... The way the battery is placed on a Yamaha makes me miss working on my Honda lol

this is what you get for owning something other than a honda atv !!..lol.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, shadetree said:

this is what you get for owning something other than a honda atv !!..lol.

Haha! Ain't mine though, only ATVs I own are Hondas. I'll help him fix it though.

1 minute ago, machinecrook said:

Haha! Ain't mine though, only ATVs I own are Hondas. I'll help him fix it though.

ok..well then, your off the hook...this time !!!..lol.

Would have to go into the bad boy area here if the Yamaha was yours @machinecrook....lol

35 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Would have to go into the bad boy area here if the Yamaha was yours @machinecrook....lol

that would be the time out corner...right ? ------------------------------->

Yep time out corner, penalty box, almost as bad as confessing to owning a Polaris....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Yep time out corner, penalty box, almost as bad as confessing to owning a Polaris....

yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Been away for a while but I ended up taking a hammer to the side of the winch and tapping it while using the control to winch in/out. It eventually dislodged and has worked without issues since. Would this be because the brushes or commutator are starting to be worn?

Hit it again if it ever does do it again , or take the winch out and apart and check the brushes  , if they are not sticking or worn out , then  sand it , clean it out and send it 

• Like 2

What Fish said.

Wife's winch on her 420 did the same thing.  I took the motor off, cleaned everything up with emery cloth, and lightly greased the bearing in the endcap with white lithium grease.  It's worked fine since.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2020 at 10:16 AM, jeepwm69 said:

What Fish said.

Wife's winch on her 420 did the same thing.  I took the motor off, cleaned everything up with emery cloth, and lightly greased the bearing in the endcap with white lithium grease.  It's worked fine since.

Yep, what he said !  If it's  a single purpose machine (plowing mostly) I've removed all but 10 ft. of cable just to get more drum leverage for lifting the plow. Especially homemade heavy plows.

Edited by Outnback

Update on this; the winch had failed again in February. I had a hunch it was the switch... Removed it and the switch connectors had broken inside. Bought  a new switch and its been working fine.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, machinecrook said:

Update on this; the winch had failed again in February. I had a hunch it was the switch... Removed it and the switch connectors had broken inside. Bought  a new switch and its been working fine.

Reading the updates on what fixed the problem is always a learning experience for me. THANKS for the info !

• Like 2