jeepwm69

500 no start, out of time?

So I got this 500 set in the frame and hooked up and tried to start it. A bit of chugging in a pop here and there but no start.

I figured carb, As the old one had the choke valve stuck so I just cleaned up and installed a different one and figured I’d go through the old one later. 

But a shot of starter fluid in it and no difference other than a little more frequent popping. Definitely not running.

Valves were set to .006, turns over fine with the plug out, but seems to be struggling to turn over with the plug in.

Has good spark.

I’m thinking it has to be timing off in the bottom end, but anything else it could be?

when doing engines from scratch ?, ALWAYS MAKE DANG SURE THE CAM CHAIN IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY !!. you will need to pull front cover, and make sure you installed the cam chain with the punch mark facing up on cam sprocket to the timing mark right above the sprocket , it faces down. these two marks MUST LINE UP !. once that is done, at back of motor, pull start cage has a line on one of the tangs, it runs from front to back on tang. behind the cage, a raised arrow is stamped into the stator cover, both of these timing marks, cover and tang MUST line up. once you have both front and back inline ?, the piston will be top dead center. once you get to the valves, i always rotate the crank from the back on the 17mm flywheel bolt, as i turn the crank backwards, i watch the intake valve, if you had the marks set all correctly ?, the intake valve will start to go down as you rotate the crank backwards..keep in mind, you will have to turn the crank backwards a good bit before the intake valve starts to go down. if after a good ways..the intake valve does not move...the exhaust valve moves instead ?, then you were on top dead center on the exhaust stroke on top dead center instead of compression stroke top dead center. also..as you very well know..i do not use feeler gauges !..lol.

• Like 1

With the symptoms that’s the only thing I can think of that it could be.

Back to the bench when I get time to pull it.......

• Like 1

I'm going to treat you like a newbie since you didn't mention anything about having good fire at the spark plug or trying a different one... wait... where was I going with this.. lol

Stand it up on the rear rack and pull the front cover quick to double check the timing. If you use the marks make sure they are lined up before standing it up or you'll have an oil mess (assuming it's full of oil).

1 hour ago, toodeep said:

I'm going to treat you like a newbie since you didn't mention anything about having good fire at the spark plug or trying a different one... wait... where was I going with this.. lol

Stand it up on the rear rack and pull the front cover quick to double check the timing. If you use the marks make sure they are lined up before standing it up or you'll have an oil mess (assuming it's full of oil).

Lol, I feel like one considering I’m pretty sure I didn’t double check the timing before buttoning it up. 

Full of oil, haven’t tightened exhaust bolts, put the front driveline in yet,  and front diff is still loose so will probably just pull the engine back out and check it.  

I did check plug and even tried another.  Thing doesn’t want to turn over well with the plug in, which tells me the valves probably aren’t opening at the right times.   Spins over great with lug out.

• Haha 1

Well I hit the shop early this morning.  First thing I did was check timing on the OTHER 500 motor I went through.  It was spot on. 

Then I put on my headlamp and got the motor pulled back out of the 06.  Luckily I had only set it in the frame and hooked up the carb and wiring.  Still hadn't put nuts on the engine mount bolts or tightened everything down.

I ran out of time and didn't have a chance to pull the front cover on that one, but I did notice that I nicked the seal on the rear output shaft putting the rear cover over the output shaft, so I had a slight oil leak there.  Guess it was a good thing the engine wouldn't start ,as that would have gotten worse over time.

timed.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got time to work through this one again.  I really bungled the seal when I put the rear cover on, so guess me not timing this thing right probably saved me some work down the road when I would be trying to figure out where all of my oil was going with no smoke coming from the exhaust.

So, replaced that rear output seal with a new one.  That was a $11ish mistake. 

Cost me about a quart of oil that leaked out while I was working on this engine flipping it around to replace the rear seal, then pulling the front cover off to discover that, yet, timing was off by a good 2-3 teeth.  Not sure how I managed to do that but the timing marks don't lie. 

Pulled clutches off, timing chain off, cam gear off, realigned everything and put back on, this itme making sure the timing marks matched up. 

Reinstalled engine, loosely hooked everything up, and she fired right up. 

Still haven't completely finished this one.  I'm doing some cleaning/greasing while I have stuff apart up front (had to pull front diff forward to get engine out, figured that would be a good time to grease ball joints, tie rod ends, and bearings).  I also discovered the nut at the bottom of the steering stem was loose, so torqued that one back down.

But with it timed and valves set, she sounds great and runs now, so need to get it back together and start on the next one.

output.jpg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Finally got time to work through this one again.  I really bungled the seal when I put the rear cover on, so guess me not timing this thing right probably saved me some work down the road when I would be trying to figure out where all of my oil was going with no smoke coming from the exhaust.

So, replaced that rear output seal with a new one.  That was a $11ish mistake. 

Cost me about a quart of oil that leaked out while I was working on this engine flipping it around to replace the rear seal, then pulling the front cover off to discover that, yet, timing was off by a good 2-3 teeth.  Not sure how I managed to do that but the timing marks don't lie. 

Pulled clutches off, timing chain off, cam gear off, realigned everything and put back on, this itme making sure the timing marks matched up. 

Reinstalled engine, loosely hooked everything up, and she fired right up. 

Still haven't completely finished this one.  I'm doing some cleaning/greasing while I have stuff apart up front (had to pull front diff forward to get engine out, figured that would be a good time to grease ball joints, tie rod ends, and bearings).  I also discovered the nut at the bottom of the steering stem was loose, so torqued that one back down.

But with it timed and valves set, she sounds great and runs now, so need to get it back together and start on the next one.

output.jpg

so just as i said, timing was off. word from the wise owl, ALWAYS DOUBLE, TRIPPLE CHECK ALL TIMING  MARKS BEFORE YOU GO BOLTING ANYTHING UP !.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1