Akunin

Firearms

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

01Ruby500 , that is a fine 10R22 ... 

I have a 10R22 Ruger , it is a fun gun to shot  , have some 10 and 30 round magazines  and a 100 round barrel , laser pointer under the barrel and a scope on top --- only thing about for me is I need to shot premium bullets or it will get hung up  , seems that cheap shells don't have enough kick to full eject the spent casing sometimes ------  Any of you'll with 10R22s have that problem , wonder if the gun smith could fine tune it for me , as I have a wheel barrow of low volacity .22 shells 

Typically a stock 10-22 should shoot cheaper ammo, have you installed a after market barrel? After market barrels have tighter chambers especially the higher end bull barrels typically used for better accuracy. One of the things most guy’s do to get better extraction from the chamber is replace the extractor & spring in the bolt With after market ones.  The one in my gun is made of titanium and has much sharper and pronounced hook to it, the spring is usually a little stiffer.  Fairly inexpensive and easy to change out. 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2020 at 5:37 AM, LedFTed said:

the color of that stock?? still trying to think of what kind of wood it is. bought a flattop guitar, ibanez., made in china. the wood is pretty. the sound it plays, i've yet to make up for it.. that gun stock, could be walnut,.. i seen white walnut, mixed with dark, some trees cut down, around here.

not by me. the in-law has no discrimination., lives next door,.. 2 sets of rules. his rules, an his rules..

sorry to get carried away, been a long 3 days.

Definitely Walnut.  I've seen really plain walnut that looked no better than birch, and then there's really, really beautiful walnut.  Back in the old days even the cheapest guns had walnut stocks.  Not fancy walnut, but walnut nonetheless. 

I picked up this set for a Marlin 39A.   Really, really nice looking wood.   That's the first pic, with stock and forend together.  

Then another guy ordered from the same place (he asked where I got mine, I told him, and he placed an order).  2nd, 3rd, 4th  pics is what he got.

wood.jpg

Prettywood.jpg

prettywood1.jpg

prettywood2.jpg

• Like 9

On 1/4/2020 at 10:01 PM, shrade said:

01RUBY500

Is that chest rig for the 629 a Diamond D ?

Exactly, Yes it is.  

33 minutes ago, shrade said:

Those Diamond D's are fine looking rigs!

As you probably know they are made in Alaska. I bought it before I went on a 3 week fishing trip to Alaska. It is very popular holster for fishing with waders in streams up there, most of the guides have them. Keeps your gun readily accessible and out of the water. It has been very handy when riding or hunting here in Michigan also. 

I have thought about having one made for my 4" 520, a 7 shot L frame 357 with a titanium cylinder with a steel frame, carrys nice and will handle anything we have in fly over country. 

On 1/5/2020 at 8:34 AM, 01RUBY500 said:

Typically a stock 10-22 should shoot cheaper ammo, have you installed a after market barrel? After market barrels have tighter chambers especially the higher end bull barrels typically used for better accuracy. One of the things most guy’s do to get better extraction from the chamber is replace the extractor & spring in the bolt With after market ones.  The one in my gun is made of titanium and has much sharper and pronounced hook to it, the spring is usually a little stiffer.  Fairly inexpensive and easy to change out. 

agree with Wilson... have a couple 10//22s..various age..including a newer takedown model...all of em eat everything...exception on subsonic stuff and rat shot..just not enough inertia from load nor charge to consistently cycle a semi.

my takedown does have a nice custom trigger upgrade, the others are all stock...other than the overkill of those hicap magazines...that would be my first guess before you chase issues in the gun itself...if the rifle runs fine with the original 10rd mags...that's the simple test.  I do run 15 and 25rd BX Ruger mags with very very rare feed issues..but the nature of the feed on the 10/22 just doesn't lend itself well to hicaps. 

I have the 15 and 25s for range plinkin fun..but if I were being chased by zombies.. i don't know that I'd wanna trust reliability..and i wouldn't ever be surprised if the gun failed to feed in the heat of the moment.

that said.. was actually out back 2 weekends ago on a whim I grabbed my takedown on the way out the door..in that bag with it I had 4 of the BX25s and (3) of the BX15s...ate through all of those 100% reliability....and I'll admit the rifle was dirty from a prior range session, so without any fresh oil, nor cleaning.. I basically gave the rifle every excuse to fail..but it ran 100%.. the ammo was a mix of CCI and Federal.. I don't go with the cheap buckets of remington etc...but clean ammo with decent peppy charge should make any 10/22 happy.

tell me more about cheap buckets, of Remington 22's. ^^^^.,, i would like to know what i bought.. done got 2 buckets. 😞 sad to know..

Oh Well. i gotta put up with it now. 1400* High-Velocity, 22LR, 38 Grain Rimfire Hollow Point.. 22 Golden Bullet..

i thought Remington was OK., as far as 22 bullets. i may have been touched, but aint been in touch, with the ammo world. ;~}

sorry to raise any alarm...I'm definitely NOT a pro..and yes Rem makes some good stuff.. in fact i have some of their better 22 as well as 9mm, etc  that run fine in my rugers and in the shorty carry pistols....there was some of the super cheap bucket deals that a number of folks on gun forums were noting that were causing reliability problems...now...was that 1 in 10 or 1 in 3?...too long back for me to remember all the conversations.

I just learned that if I wanted my Ruger Mark pistols and my Ruger 10/22s to run near 100%...and that I have best luck with the CCI stingers and the better Federal stuff...and it's always interesting to see the delta between brands.. i can sight in at 50yds on CCI and then load up a mag of Federal and have a  totally different POI.. Groupings might not be that different, but where the rounds land certainly are.

as for velocity...doesn't always tell the story of accuracy but yes, it can make a difference in tighter tolerance firearms...example...45acp Winchester Wally world white box through my Kimber ultra...and my Springfield ultra...turns both thiese pistols into jammomattics...great if you want to run FTF drills on the range..(grin)...but load up even Blazer brass, Federal's cheaper Independance etc...and the pistols both run 100%..so regardless of what it says on the box...my personal real life experience is to stay away from the whitebox wally world...which of course they aren't selling any more since they don't want to promote evil...oops...headed down the wrong rabbit hole..sorry.

original point..if your ruger is struggling, run down to the local gun store and buy  one of those nice plastic sticks of CCI stingers..100rds later, if the rifle is eating good...there's your answer.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:34 AM, 01RUBY500 said:

agree with Wilson... have a couple 10//22s..various age..including a newer takedown model...all of em eat everything...exception on subsonic stuff and rat shot..just not enough inertia from load nor charge to consistently cycle a semi.

my takedown does have a nice custom trigger upgrade, the others are all stock...other than the overkill of those hicap magazines...that would be my first guess before you chase issues in the gun itself...if the rifle runs fine with the original 10rd mags...that's the simple test.  I do run 15 and 25rd BX Ruger mags with very very rare feed issues..but the nature of the feed on the 10/22 just doesn't lend itself well to hicaps. 

I have the 15 and 25s for range plinkin fun..but if I were being chased by zombies.. i don't know that I'd wanna trust reliability..and i wouldn't ever be surprised if the gun failed to feed in the heat of the moment.

that said.. was actually out back 2 weekends ago on a whim I grabbed my takedown on the way out the door..in that bag with it I had 4 of the BX25s and (3) of the BX15s...ate through all of those 100% reliability....and I'll admit the rifle was dirty from a prior range session, so without any fresh oil, nor cleaning.. I basically gave the rifle every excuse to fail..but it ran 100%.. the ammo was a mix of CCI and Federal.. I don't go with the cheap buckets of remington etc...but clean ammo with decent peppy charge should make any 10/22 happy.

I'd watch this and see if it pertains to your BX25 mag issues.  I have a couple of those, but most of my 25 rounders were Butler Creek Steel Lips, and for the most part they feed very well.

When we were shooting mistletoe we were using Federal Bulk ammo, and there was a very discernable difference in report from one shot to the next.  BAM, pop, bang, BAM, BAM, thup, BAM.

Very inconsistent.  I don't think anyone's doing stuff as well as they used to.  Growing up I shot Remington Std Vel that dad had (see pic, which I found on the web).  No telling how many thousands of rounds I shot and NEVER had a misfire or even a funny sounding report. 

When he started mouthing about how much I was shooting I started buying Remington Thunderbolt and Winchester Wildcat bricks.  Back then you could get a brick of Wildcats at Sam's Club for $9.  They all shot great for me too (not the Thunderbolts are probably the most maligned rimfire on the market).

The Federal Bulk packs were great for awhile, but I'm a bit concerned about what I heard the other day shooting.  CCI Std Vel is good, but it's not cheap.

Guess we could all pick up some Eley Tenex which would likely solve all our ammo problems!😆

rem.jpg

Edited by jeepwm69

nice to see those pics... i remember those boxes.. in fact, buried very very deep in the green can forest I know there are a number of old old winchester and rem boxes back when I think they were 525 rds?  in a box..price stickers on those are $11.97  and that old stuff runs just fine.  I think we got to that "post Sandy Hook" moment when guys were lined up on the sidewalk at 6am waiting for the Academy Sports door to open in hopes that they might have some 22 to sell on any particular day..it was crazy the ammo limitations etc  for a while there.  I still had plenty on hand, I simply hybernated some of my range time and some of my more advance classes that would typically consume 500 rds of 9 or 45 on a given saturday..never mind the rounds I'd eat in preperation for those courses so I didn't embarrass myself in front of the serious shooters. (grin).

• Like 1

hit enter too quick..sorry..point was...yeah, it wasn't until after the ammo panic and the industry started to recover, that i started seeing those buckets of bullets piled up on the endcaps at the big box stores...not sure if quality began to suffer, or maybe just quality control, cause you can read reviews and one guy will say it's great, the next will say he had 40 duds in his bucket.,,end of the day...we're takin range plinkin grade ammo here...so if you hear a click and no bang...rack it and try try again (grin)

• Like 1

Added a new Sig P320 to my arsenal recently. Shoots great. The attached target was at 20 yards. Been wanting one since reading the write up on them in the American Rifleman and why the US military has switched to them.  

8483722B-2805-4B82-8E02-5F116FF0DB79.jpeg

1670953D-82CF-4F7C-BAF8-2F79345B17B0.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice ---- I have a Sig Mosquito .22 to pinker with and it is smooth  ------ 

Ahhhhh ??? Is there any "Bad Habits" you guys don't have ??  Let see, atv's, bikes, fast cars, bad-! trucks,  and now guns ??  Oh, an occasional reference to BEER !

Just Kidding of Course! Glad to see ya-all are normal folks! 😄    I like this as well!

IMG_0006.JPG

Edited by Outnback
spelling
  • Like 5

Here are a couple 20 yd. targets.

IMG_1199.jpg

_storage_ (1).JPG

One at 100 yd. with hunting broadheads installed

_storage_ (3).JPG

That red block has a 2 1/2" white bullseye!

_storage_ (2).JPG

Not bad for an Old Fart!

IMG_1199.jpg

Edited by Outnback
  • Like 5

Colt AR 15 Sig 9mm Sig 40 cal 1958 marlin golden 39a. 1978 marlin golden 39a. Wife bought me a browning tbolt 22 bolt action for Christmas.  That’s my go to squirrel rifle. I’ve head shot squirrels out to 75 yards with it scoped of course. Marlin doesn’t make the 39a anymore. So I don’t shoot the two that much. Will pass them on as heirlooms to the grand kids. 

B2BC05F7-B16E-44D1-9577-D4E8F41E08B6.jpeg

68ACC9AD-D605-4B96-8041-F475622FE7DA.jpeg

1A55D566-5FD7-4838-AECF-BBEECD111410.jpeg

• Like 3

Shot this one around 55 yards with the marlin. Nothing like fried young squirrels with mashed potatoes gravy buttermilk biscuits and sweet tea. 

717C07C9-5705-4C5B-878B-EA4069102050.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:06 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Definitely Walnut.  I've seen really plain walnut that looked no better than birch, and then there's really, really beautiful walnut.  Back in the old days even the cheapest guns had walnut stocks.  Not fancy walnut, but walnut nonetheless. 

I picked up this set for a Marlin 39A.   Really, really nice looking wood.   That's the first pic, with stock and forend together.  

Then another guy ordered from the same place (he asked where I got mine, I told him, and he placed an order).  2nd, 3rd, 4th  pics is what he got.

wood.jpg

Prettywood.jpg

prettywood1.jpg

prettywood2.jpg

Man that wood is gorgeous. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Loosemarbles said:

Colt AR 15 Sig 9mm Sig 40 cal 1958 marlin golden 39a. 1978 marlin golden 39a. Wife bought me a browning tbolt 22 bolt action for Christmas.  That’s my go to squirrel rifle. I’ve head shot squirrels out to 75 yards with it scoped of course. Marlin doesn’t make the 39a anymore. So I don’t shoot the two that much. Will pass them on as heirlooms to the grand kids. 

B2BC05F7-B16E-44D1-9577-D4E8F41E08B6.jpeg

68ACC9AD-D605-4B96-8041-F475622FE7DA.jpeg

1A55D566-5FD7-4838-AECF-BBEECD111410.jpeg

Nice Loosemarbles, I have the same Colt AR.  Very fun to shoot

I almost bought a vortex. Wish I would have now. I have the Nikon with adjustable turrets on it now. It’s clear and bright out to 75 yards. We have coyotes here really bad. And I would like to step it up to 200 yards. But the scope that I’ve seen that will reach that are around $600 to $2000😳

On 3/22/2020 at 9:56 AM, Outnback said:

Ahhhhh ??? Is there any "Bad Habits" you guys don't have ??  Let see, atv's, bikes, fast cars, bad-! trucks,  and now guns ??  Oh, an occasional reference to BEER !

Just Kidding of Course! Glad to see ya-all are normal folks! 😄    I like this as well!

IMG_0006.JPG

I picked up a bow last year.  Haven't tried to shoot it yet.  I've never been an archery guy, but found a Bear Pledge on clearance for $99 at wallyworld, so I picked one up. 

Got a Barnett Whitetail crossbow too.  I've shot it twice, lost both bolts, so decided to hold off till I could set up a proper target with a hill behind it LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1