Akunin

Firearms

You can cut them but not shorter than a certain length which I can't remember. You'll have to look it up.

• Like 1

Anything under 18" inches will get you in hot water with the ATF.  If you do it yourself I'd leave a little over that just to be safe.

I would buy a cheap barrel, sent it to this guy, and have him cut it down and reset the bead on the front.  He does great work, fast turnaround, and is cheap.  He does not respond to emails.  He will occasionally answer the phone.  I followed some instructions I thought were iffy, which were "Just mail him your barrel with what you want done and he'll do it and email you an invoice when he's done, or you can put a blank check in there made out to him and he'll fill it in when he's done"  That sounded way weird, but he's put choke tubes in a couple of older shotguns for me, and cut down and reset a ramp and bead on one and everything went without a hitch.  He apparently likes doing the actual work but not so much the "dealing with the public" part of the job.  LOL

$20 plus shipping each way isn't much to pay to have the bead reset and have the work be done perfectly.

orlean.png

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

They can be cut to 18 inch , they say cut it 18.5 inches  so there is no problem , in fact Mossberg sells  it's self defense  models as 18.5  inches ------ I actually found a good deal on a 18.5 new barrel , but it is called matte finish , from researching the finishes that were available on my gun , there were quite a few , blued , black , matte , parkerized , camo ----I think mine is black , not sure , pic might not do it justice ---

What color do you think this gun is :  blued , black or matte 

fullsizeoutput_cc2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_cbf.jpeg

deff not blued, matte or black for sure.

• Like 3

Blue is shiny (polished).

Matte is a dull finish, and black is too.

Camo is self explanatory.

According to this, all the Mavericks are blued. 

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/maverick-88/

Definitely not a high polished blue, but what Mossberg considers blue.    The receivers on the Mossbergs are anodized aluminum, so they aren't really blue or any other typical gun finish.

• Like 1

"" 12 gauge  1" home defense buck shot shells "" , I could put 15 of them in the shotgun which holds 5 - 3 inch shells , any body shot them before ????

i don't think I've ever run a cross those before .... the added plus would be more loaded shells.... but in the video .... there was some jams with certain models... and he mentioned the price being higher .... I'd sooner have a belt, or stock shell sleeve with standard buckshot loads .... i would even think a turkey load would do more damage ..(close range) .. then those mini shells .... where i get my ammo (i won't say)  .... but, i called my friend Allen .... he told me they don't carry those .... he made a few calls said the only other high gun shop in maury county doesn't carry them ether.... but.... i wouldn't mind trying them out in my 870 super mag.

I have one of the original Mossberg JIC Mariners..which is pistol grip only model, came with a finish that looks kinda dull silver..designed to help prevent rust and comes with it's own water tight sealable tube for carry/storage aboard.  that model comes from the factory at 18.5

my home defense model for the past near 20 years is a mossberg 500 "cruiser"..which is full 20" barrel..and my reason for that, the gun is compact enough with pistol grip only and I wanted the extra shells in the tube.

either way, you have a compact platform, spare shells on the side of receiver for quick reload and I never recommend pistol grip only ...it takes some learning on proper technique to be able to bring it on target, manage the recoil, fast reload when you don't have  shoulder stock to help keep the gun in aim point while you use your free hand to reload on the move, etc...but I've taken multiple classes in tactical shotgun, LEO training, etc and I am personally happy with my level of capability with pistol grip only.

all my other shotguns either have fixed stock, or a collpasible/adjustable.

there are soe mgood aftermarket tube extensions that offer spring and followers that make them quite reliable.

Here in Canada, eh, the gun laws are wonky. No centerfire can hold more than 5 rounds. High capacity magazines are pinned with a rivet at 5. But yet, I can walk in and buy one of these off the shelf. Makes no sense! Is 18" barrel the shortest you are allowed across the whole USA?

On 7/1/2020 at 12:07 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Anything under 18" inches will get you in hot water with the ATF.  If you do it yourself I'd leave a little over that just to be safe.

I would buy a cheap barrel, sent it to this guy, and have him cut it down and reset the bead on the front.  He does great work, fast turnaround, and is cheap.  He does not respond to emails.  He will occasionally answer the phone.  I followed some instructions I thought were iffy, which were "Just mail him your barrel with what you want done and he'll do it and email you an invoice when he's done, or you can put a blank check in there made out to him and he'll fill it in when he's done"  That sounded way weird, but he's put choke tubes in a couple of older shotguns for me, and cut down and reset a ramp and bead on one and everything went without a hitch.  He apparently likes doing the actual work but not so much the "dealing with the public" part of the job.  LOL

$20 plus shipping each way isn't much to pay to have the bead reset and have the work be done perfectly.

orlean.png

Screenshot_20200702-130615_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

yeah...some hollywood nut made movies where a sawed off shotgun is able to splatter like 15 guys at once with one round and they all blow in half with body parts flying 40 feet back into the air...and so, now, short barrels are considered weapons of mass destruction..cause oh my ..the spread on a barrel that's 1 inch shorter could probably blow up an entire coliseum...whatever...it is what it is..and screwing with a half inch just isn't worth the risk, nor will it gain a benefit....

• Like 1

@Dredd Center fire can hold more than 5. 

Lever-Action, Pump-Action or Bolt Action Rifles and Shotguns 

Lever, pump and bolt action centerfire rifles and shotguns have no limitations on their magazine capacities

8 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Sorry, I ment semi-auto center fire

I’m pretty up to speed on the laws as I own a fair amount of firearms.

even though I disagree with what the government is doing! 

• Like 4

But semi autos are pinned, right? My SKS magazines all have(had🤷‍♂️) rivets installed when I bought them. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

But semi autos are pinned, right? My SKS magazines all have(had🤷‍♂️) rivets installed when I bought them. 

Yes. Semi-Auto is limited to 5rds in rifles & shotguns. 

The biggest fallacy for ANY gun control is the idea that criminals,  who by definition break the law, will abide by any gun control laws. 

You can't uninvent them.  You can't keep illegal contraband from the hands of criminals.  So the ONLY people that gun control laws affect are the law abiding.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

Yes. Semi-Auto is limited to 5rds in rifles & shotguns. 

Where?  Canada? We can get high capacity magazines here in the states. My AR15 came with a 30 round mag, and 60 round mags are available. My SIG 9mm came with a 17rd mag and a 21 is available. 

• Like 1

@Fishfiles  I’d love to compare my GSG-16 to the M&P-15. As in weight, quality, reliability, accuracy, durability, cycling ect..  They are both high quality .22s as far as I’m concerned. 

Glad u found one. With all the stupid new gun bans our idiot Prime Minister just did, that ones on the list believe it or not. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

New toy came in the mail yesterday , all the way from the northern top of Minnesota to the bottom tip of Louisiana , was hard to find one , Shade helped me find one thru Gun Brokers , really don't know if they is another one out there for sale at the moment  ,  it's a Smith and Wesson MP15-22 the clip is 25 rounds , there are also 35 and 10 round clips for it 

fullsizeoutput_cc5.jpeg

Your gonna love that thing Fish. I put a Vortex Crossfire red dot on it and it co-wittnesses with the battle sights. Rested it will group on a nickel at 25yds. Got 4 mags for it. I've put several thousand rounds through it and it runs great.

Today I mounted a Kahles Helia red dot on my new Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag. Gotta sight it in tomorrow.

IMG_20200707_115331234.jpg

Edited by PROV
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Wheeler said:

@Fishfiles  I’d love to compare my GSG-16 to the M&P-15. As in weight, quality, reliability, accuracy, durability, cycling ect..  They are both high quality .22s as far as I’m concerned. 

Glad u found one. With all the stupid new gun bans our idiot Prime Minister just did, that ones on the list believe it or not. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PROV said:

Your gonna love that thing Fish. I put a Vortex Crossfire red dot on it and it co-wittnesses with the battle sights. Rested it will group on a nickel at 25yds. Got 4 mags for it. I've put several thousand rounds through it and it runs great.

Today I mounted a Kahles Helia red dot on my new Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag. Gotta sight it in tomorrow.

IMG_20200707_115331234.jpg

Prov , that is a bad boy you got there , won't want to be on the receiving end of it -----  I shot my buddy's .44 mag , the Josey Wales gun , he told me to two hand it and he wasn't lying , kicks like a mule , he told me a bunch of people get hit in the forehead when firing that gun for the first time with one hand ---- and on a funny note ,  two shots from it killed a small tree that the target was nailed to and it actually fell over 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wheeler , after watching the two videos , I am bumming I didn't get a cool decal , but think I made the right move , LOL ^^^^ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Prov , that is a bad boy you got there , won't want to be on the receiving end of it -----  I shot my buddy's .44 mag , the Josey Wales gun , he told me to two hand it and he wasn't lying , kicks like a mule , he told me a bunch of people get hit in the forehead when firing that gun for the first time with one hand ---- and on a funny note ,  two shots from it killed a small tree that the target was nailed to and it actually fell over 

Yeah I don't even like shooting a 44.  Not pleasant.  A 357 or even a 41 magnum isn't bad, but you can keep the .44.

I always wanted a S&W 57.  Never got one, and prices on them are full retard now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

I guess it is brocolli , unless someone else has a better idea ?  I asked my son in law what to use to attach the pressure switch for a laser that I picked up at a garage sale about 6 years ago , he said the black rubber band that comes on fresh  brocolli is the perfect thing .... I was afraid the wrong type of double stick tape might get messy , glueing it ain't going to happen ----  what to use to stay removable ??? 

the laser sight  is a Firefield , never researched it , most likely a cheapie -- I got the whole box for I think it was $10 , has some other things in it , there were two clamps that worked for me , so I got another one now , a flash light , two pressure switches and two push button end caps that can replace the pressure switch -------    the belt was from the flea market used for $3 , $25 a clip and $15 for the pouch , low budget build so far 

Looking into the Mag Pull MSP sling 

fullsizeoutput_ccb.jpeg

My experience with lasers is I spend too much time trying to mess with the dot and see where it is.  It's a lot faster to just use the sights and shoot (for me).

I had an Eotech for awhile.  Then found out the POI changes with temperature swings, and the manufacturer offered to buy them back for what you paid for them, so I sent mine back.  I really liked the sight though and hopefully they'll fix the issue in a newer model and I'll get another one.