Akunin

Firearms

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah I don't even like shooting a 44.  Not pleasant.  A 357 or even a 41 magnum isn't bad, but you can keep the .44.

I always wanted a S&W 57.  Never got one, and prices on them are full retard now.

Isn't a 57 the police issue from the 70s and 80s , almost the same gun as a 19  , cause I happen to have a 19  that was my Dad's and I was looking at the bill when he bought it the other day , I just looked again , he paid $171.45 for a model 19  S.S. in Jan of 1971 , wonder what they cost now ??? ---- that gun flooded in Katrina and still looks great 

I see now the 57 is a .41 , I have shoot the .41 before , it has a kick 

Check this out , I just plugged in a Model 19 , look what they asking for them  today , might have been a better investment to buy a truck load of them back in the 70s then gold , LOL 

How much is a Smith and Wesson Model 19 worth?
CURRENT MARKET PRICE
Price Item Condition
$631.53 SMITH AND WESSON MODEL 19 3 357MAGNUM Bullhead City, AZ Used
$700.00 SMITH & WESSON MODEL 19 4 357MAG 357 Springfield, MO Used
$790.00 SMITH & WESSON S&W MODEL 19 4 6 BLUE XLNT Dale, TX Used
$685.00 SMITH & WESSON 357 COMBAT MAGNUM MODEL 19 3 P&R Catasauqua, PA Used
63 more rows

12 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Isn't a 57 the police issue from the 70s and 80s , almost the same gun as a 19  , cause I happen to have a 19  that was my Dad's and I was looking at the bill when he bought it the other day , I just looked again , he paid $171.45 for a model 19  S.S. in Jan of 1971 , wonder what they cost now ??? ---- that gun flooded in Katrina and still looks great 

The 57 is an N frame, which is the heavy frame that that was designed for the magnums.  The common N frames were the 27 (357 mag), the 29 (44 mag aka Dirty Harry) and the 57 (41 mag). 

The 19 is a K frame, which was a little smaller and lighter.    The K frames were 17 (22 LR), 14 (38 Special) and 19 (357 mag), and the 16 (32 magnum).  The 16's are rare and $$$.  https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/smith-wesson-revolvers-model-16/ultra-rare-1969-vintage-smith-wesson-k-32-masterpiece-model-16-3-32-s-w-long-1-of-3-630-made-sale-pending.cfm?gun_id=101445271#lg-21

There were others models as well in both frames, but those were the most common in each.

That 19 would be back with S&W still was making really good stuff.  Their quality control went downhill in the late 70's. 

Have a pic?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

My experience with lasers is I spend too much time trying to mess with the dot and see where it is.  It's a lot faster to just use the sights and shoot (for me).

I had an Eotech for awhile.  Then found out the POI changes with temperature swings, and the manufacturer offered to buy them back for what you paid for them, so I sent mine back.  I really liked the sight though and hopefully they'll fix the issue in a newer model and I'll get another one.

I had this same green dot on my 10R22 for a while and it is pretty bright , in the daylight I can see it a hundred feet easy to the woods , at night you can see it a mile 

10 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I going to  take a pic , in fact , you just gave me an idea , it would be a good idea for me to take a pic of all my guns , and mark the models and serial numbers on each color hard paper pic for a file , got all the numbers , but no pics 

I also got the .32 shortie in blue , it was my Mom's purse gun , and I just went and looked in the safe and it is not there , I am freaking out right now , after you telling me it is rare and now not there 

fullsizeoutput_ccd.jpeg

If it was a Smith and Wesson model 16, then yeah, those are very uncommon.  

That's a nice little 19.  Wouldn't be fun to shoot magnums out of it with that short barrel, but it'd be a great carry gun.  Practice with some 38 special wadcutters and it will be fairly pleasant to shoot.

I always wanted a 19 with a 6 in barrel in blue, but never found one in mint condition from the early days when they were still making fine firearms.  Prices have shot straight up now so doubt I'll ever get one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

If it was a Smith and Wesson model 16, then yeah, those are very uncommon.  

That's a nice little 19.  Wouldn't be fun to shoot magnums out of it with that short barrel, but it'd be a great carry gun.  Practice with some 38 special wadcutters and it will be fairly pleasant to shoot.

I always wanted a 19 with a 6 in barrel in blue, but never found one in mint condition from the early days when they were still making fine firearms.  Prices have shot straight up now so doubt I'll ever get one.

When you shot the .38SPL thru it , it kicks  just like a .357 round , Katrina buffed it up , well I did with the scrub pad , needs a polishing , it's a non glare finish , LOL ---   dude , I just spent 20 minutes looking for that S+W .32 and ain't found it yet , it is blue and didn't come thru Katrina too well , but shoots 

51 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Jeep is correct the 57 is an N frame, Fish you may have been thinking of a 58 that was built for the LE market,, same as the 57 in .41 mag with out adjustable sites, These have really sky rocketed in price.

• Like 1

I can see between Jeep and Shrade , I am out of my league talking S+W history , just an average Joe trigger puller , lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Smith and Wesson Model 66-1 6 inch barrel 357 magnum.  Bought in the mid 90s for $300 from someone who needed $ to repair their car.  Don't know much else about it besides it shoots real nice.  Maybe some of the S&W experts can tell me something about it.

IMG_0091.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I can see between Jeep and Shrade , I am out of my league talking S+W history , just an average Joe trigger puller , lol 

I feel the same way when Jeep and you talk old Hondas!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Scotticus said:

Smith and Wesson Model 66-1 6 inch barrel 357 magnum.  Bought in the mid 90s for $300 from someone who needed $ to repair their car.  Don't know much else about it besides it shoots real nice.  Maybe some of the S&W experts can tell me something about it.

IMG_0091.jpg

Scotticus: here is a short bit from the American Rifleman about the 66. 

A look at the history of Smith & Wesson clearly shows how the company has been—and continues to be—at the forefront of innovation and manufacturing prowess. From the time of the first totally enclosed cartridge—the .22 Short—introduced in 1857 to the modern X-frame in .460 and .500 S&W Magnum, the company has met the needs of handgunners, often before they even knew of that need. In 1957 Smith & Wesson introduced the Model 19 Combat Magnum at the behest of Border Patrolman Bill Jordan. Law-enforcement types flocked to the Model 19 like deer to a corn feeder, resulting in the nickname a “police officer’s dream gun.” It was the size and weight of most .38 Special revolvers, yet had the capacity to handle the powerful .357 Magnum that many officers preferred because of its superior stopping power and penetration. Even plain-clothed detectives liked the 2 1/2-inch-barreled version, and, naturally, the citizens competed in the marketplace for the premium revolver.

Vintage Model 66

In 1965 S&W introduced the first revolver to be made from stainless steel—the Model 60. Basically a Model 36 Chief’s Special in the more modern material, it, too, found a reception far beyond the company’s initial expectations. It worked once; let’s try it in the Combat Magnum. So in 1970 the first .357 Magnum made from stainless steel was made. The first Model 66—as it would be known—came off the line on May 5 of that year, serial number K949100. Smith & Wesson would not announce the new revolver until July 8, 1971.

Like its blued predecessor, the Model 66 was the darling for men who strapped a revolver onto their waist every day to face the world. The everyday cop that worked an 8- to 12-hour shift appreciated the half-pound weight savings that the K-frame provided. The gunners among the force often preferred the heftier Model 27 because that half pound soaked up recoil better, but the everyday officer rarely had to shoot and most departments still used .38 Special cartridges anyway. The Model 66 offered everything the Model 19 did, plus it was rust resistant.

Three barrel lengths were initially offered: 2 1/2, 4 and 6 inches, and each had their fans. The 4-incher is hands down the most popular, offering a reasonable compromise in carry vs. shootability. The 2 1/2-incher was popular as either a concealed-carry or backup gun. The rural highway patrolman or sheriff deputy often opted for a 6-inch barrel because of the perception that armed encounters have a better chance of occurring at longer ranges or may involve barriers where a little more velocity would be desirable. There was a short run—2,500 units to be exact—of 3-inch barreled 66s made, and today they fetch a nice premium over standard barrel lengths. There have been eight engineering changes to the Model 66, often referred to as “the dashes.” The Model 66 without a dash came out in 1970; seven years later the Model 66-1 appeared with the gas ring attached to the cylinder rather than the yoke. The year 1982 gave us the Model 66-2 which eliminated pinned barrels and recessed cylinders. In 1986 the Model 66-3 with a new yoke retention system/radius stud package/hammer nose bushing and floating hand came to the marketplace. Eight years later in 1994 the Model 66-4 had a slightly different rear sight leaf, a relocated drilling and taping of the frame for the rear sight, along with optional Hogue grips and a change in the extractor. The Model 66-5 introduced in 1998 brought us a change in frame design: eliminating the cylinder-stop stud, the elimination of serrated tangs, a change to a MIM hammer with a floating firing pin, along with changes in the internal lockwork. The dreaded internal lock—a.k.a. Hillary Hole—was foisted upon us in 2002 yielding the Model 66-6, the Model 66-7 featured a two-piece barrel and more internal lock mechanisms. This year the Model 66-8 was brought to the market.

Smith & Wesson dropped the Model 66 from production in 2005. There were a couple of reasons. First, the trend in LE armament has almost entirely gone to the semi-auto pistol. Departments and officers who have the prerogative to purchase their own handguns rarely—if ever anymore—purchase revolvers, save a J-frame for undercover or as an off-duty weapon. Too, most .357 Magnum shooters have gone to the slightly heavier L-frame revolvers because they stand up to more abuse from the heavy loads.

I believe it is back in production, not sure

shrade

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scotticus said:

IMG_0091.jpg

Nice. What is the serial number? (Use XXX for the last three numbers)

I can figure out what year it was made. In my experience the earlier the better

Fish I can do the same for that 19

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Nice. What is the serial number? (Use XXX for the last three numbers)

I can figure out what year it was made. In my experience the earlier the better

39K3XXX Thanks

9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah I don't even like shooting a 44.  Not pleasant.  A 357 or even a 41 magnum isn't bad, but you can keep the .44.

I always wanted a S&W 57.  Never got one, and prices on them are full retard now.

Those other 44's kick and hurt so bad because the grip frame is exposed. A Super Redhawk has a tang style frame so you can use grips like the Hogue Tamer grip that's on it. It provides WAY more cushion and grip to the hand. I shot another 50 full house loads in it today and my hands feel just as good as before I shot. Can't say that for other models. Every other one I've shot with wood grips and steel backstrap are painful. And .357's are pussycats too with the right grip. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks like also 1978

That  serial number chart you using can't  be right !!!  I have the bill of sale on the gun when my Dad purchased it  and the date of sale is  Jan 1971 , so it has to be a minimum of a 1970 production date 

That  serial number chart you using can't  be right !!!  I have the bill of sale on the gun when my Dad purchased it  and the date of sale is  Jan 1971 , so it has to be a minimum of a 1970 production date 

Wellll, not sure what to tell you, but I thought that the chart might be wrong, so I just called Smith and Wesson, gave them the serial number, and they verified 1978.  Is it possible your Dad had another one at some point? 

1 (800) 331-0852 is their number.  They'll tell you the DOM if you call them, in case anyone else has one lying around they want to date.  I have books for S&W and Colt around here somewhere, but couldn't find them so I looked them up online.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Wellll, not sure what to tell you, but I thought that the chart might be wrong, so I just called Smith and Wesson, gave them the serial number, and they verified 1978.  Is it possible your Dad had another one at some point? 

1 (800) 331-0852 is their number.  They'll tell you the DOM if you call them, in case anyone else has one lying around they want to date.  I have books for S&W and Colt around here somewhere, but couldn't find them so I looked them up online.

It is my mistake , you are right ,  I looked at the bill again closely  , and now on the 1971 where I thought I saw a 1 and it is a 9 , so it  is 1979 , bad eyes , bad hand writing and a 40 year old receipt ---

• Like 2

I know I shoot .38SPLand .38  in my .357  ---- Can you shot .357 in a .38 SPL ?

No you cannot shoot a 357 round in a 38.  The 357 case is longer

• Like 1

scooticus is correct you can't shoot .357 ammo in a .38 chambered revolver. But you can shoot .38 ammo in a .357 chambered revolver. they basically the same round except as stated the .357 round is longer. 

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I dug up an old one , while looking for the other old one  , this was also my Dad's , it flooded in Katrina , I had a gunsmith re-blue what was left , I had soaked it in Rust Remover and it messed up the frame a bit  , but it fires , Charters Arms in Connecticut , UnderCover .38 Special , 5 shot , any idea of the vintage on this one ???

I know I shoot .38SPLand .38  in my .357  ---- Can you shot .357 in a .38 SPL ? 

fullsizeoutput_cd7.jpeg

• Like 1

So does anyone in the house have either the Eotech EXPS3-2 or EXPS2-2? If so can someone provide a measurement? Looking for the distance between top of the rail to the top of battery compartment (see picture for better clarification!).

I can't find any info of it anywhere!

61mwRyokthL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Edited by Akunin

OTech Model EXPS3 Specs
Water Resistance Waterproof
Fogproof Yes, Nitrogen Filled
Material Aluminum
Dimensions L: 3.8 x W: 2.9 x H: 2.3" / L: 9.7 x W: 7.4 x H: 5.8 cm
Weight 11.2 oz / 317.5 g
EOTech Model EXPS2 Specs
Dimensions L: 3.8 x W: 2.9 x H: 2.2" / L: 9.7 x W: 7.4 x H: 5.6 cm
Weight 11.2 oz / 317.5 g

17 hours ago, Scotticus said:
OTech Model EXPS3 Specs
Fogproof Yes, Nitrogen Filled
Material Aluminum
Dimensions L: 3.8 x W: 2.9 x H: 2.3" / L: 9.7 x W: 7.4 x H: 5.8 cm
Weight 11.2 oz / 317.5 g
EOTech Model EXPS2 Specs
Dimensions L: 3.8 x W: 2.9 x H: 2.2" / L: 9.7 x W: 7.4 x H: 5.6 cm
Weight 11.2 oz / 317.5 g

Correct me if I'm wrong but those appear to be the overall dimensions. I'm just looking for the distance from the the top of the battery compartment down