Akunin

Firearms

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Just have to watch the deals and get them just right.  LOL.  I'm Scottish and we're a frugal (CHEAP!) people.

I've gotten some stuff from Walmart closeouts that had a rebate that was more than what I bought.  Bushnell binoculars, ammo, etc. 

First time I got clued in on things I got a Marlin 1895 that was marked down from $750 to $299, and had a $50 rebate on it.  

A year later I drove an hour to get a big pile of ammo for it at $7/box.

The only problem is, I end up sounding like my wife with the "See how much I SAVED by spending all this money!"

My son has done the same. Buys every binocular, rangefinder etc. they have. Most marked down because of a packaging change. Resells them in a heartbeat for a bit more than he paid. He got the same deal on a 45-70. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PROV said:

My son has done the same. Buys every binocular, rangefinder etc. they have. Most marked down because of a packaging change. Resells them in a heartbeat for a bit more than he paid. He got the same deal on a 45-70. 

I always say I'm going to flip things, and I do every once and awhile, but mostly it's Christmas stuff for the in-laws, or I sell the stuff to friends for what I paid for it.

I just like the thrill of getting a deal!

Picked up a Barnett Crossbow last week for $99, @basfnb got that one from me for his kid (when he's a little older)

• Like 3

On 7/8/2020 at 11:23 AM, Fishfiles said:

I going to  take a pic , in fact , you just gave me an idea , it would be a good idea for me to take a pic of all my guns , and mark the models and serial numbers on each color hard paper pic for a file , got all the numbers , but no pics 

I also got the .32 shortie in blue , it was my Mom's purse gun , and I just went and looked in the safe and it is not there , I am freaking out right now , after you telling me it is rare and now not there 

fullsizeoutput_ccd.jpeg

i know of some that has an S&W 32 thats only been shot twice, i'd say its at least 40 years old. Ya think it would have any value? looks like the snub nose in this picture, cept the chrome., factory finish, they had back then..

Edited by LedFTed

On 8/21/2020 at 3:27 PM, jeepwm69 said:

I always say I'm going to flip things, and I do every once and awhile, but mostly it's Christmas stuff for the in-laws, or I sell the stuff to friends for what I paid for it.

I just like the thrill of getting a deal!

Picked up a Barnett Crossbow last week for $99, @basfnb got that one from me for his kid (when he's a little older)

I hear you loud and clear on the thrill of getting a deal , I got it bad ----- learned that from my Mom , she use to drag me along shopping all the time , if it was on sale she would buy it 

I got  a Barnett Crossbow bartering for  a brake job on a friends pick up , I only shot it about 3 times , lost all three arrows , out of ammo , the guy I got it from said he had the trigger assembly replaced as there was a problem with that model  , it is a hair trigger for sure  ----

was talking with the guy I was working for yesterday , he is getting ready for Oct 1 for archery , crossbows are legal here , he is shooting a $2,000 crossbow with the scope , forgot the name of it , says he can hit the bullseye at 100 yards every time with it , I can't even hit a 3x3 ft arrow back stop at 30 yards , but I only shot it 3 times , must have been bent  " bolts " ( isn't that the proper name for a crossbow arrow ? ) 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i know of some that has an S&W 32 thats only been shot twice, i'd say its at least 40 years old. Ya think it would have any value? looks like the snub nose in this picture, cept the chrome., factory finish, they had back then..

as long as it’s smith and Wesson it’ll be worth something. I have a South American knock off of a snub nose 38 and it’s not worth much but it was given to me by family.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LedFTed said:

'Ted , I still have not found my Mom 's 32 S+W that I mentioned above , I do have a Berreta 32 semi auto , shells can be hard to find now days for it ---- my neighbor Mr Larry carries a Berreta 25 , looks exactly like the 9mm and the 32 , fine little  " mini me "gun , bet finding bullets for it could be hard 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LedFTed said:

40 years ago would have been 1980ish. 

Nowadays any S&W that old or older will bring a premium, especially if it’s in good shape

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

'Ted , I still have not found my Mom 's 32 S+W that I mentioned above , I do have a Berreta 32 semi auto , shells can be hard to find now days for it ---- my neighbor Mr Larry carries a Berreta 25 , looks exactly like the 9mm and the 32 , fine little  " mini me "gun , bet finding bullets for it could be hard 

32ACP and 25 ACP were a Walmart closeout about 15 years ago. Winchester white box, $5 a box.

I have a Colt 1903 in 32. Really neat little guns. Used to be cheap too.  The one I have was reblued so no collector value, but still a really elegantly designed little pistol, like most of JMB’s designs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I hear you loud and clear on the thrill of getting a deal , I got it bad ----- learned that from my Mom , she use to drag me along shopping all the time , if it was on sale she would buy it 

I got  a Barnett Crossbow bartering for  a brake job on a friends pick up , I only shot it about 3 times , lost all three arrows , out of ammo , the guy I got it from said he had the trigger assembly replaced as there was a problem with that model  , it is a hair trigger for sure  ----

was talking with the guy I was working for yesterday , he is getting ready for Oct 1 for archery , crossbows are legal here , he is shooting a $2,000 crossbow with the scope , forgot the name of it , says he can hit the bullseye at 100 yards every time with it , I can't even hit a 3x3 ft arrow back stop at 30 yards , but I only shot it 3 times , must have been bent  " bolts " ( isn't that the proper name for a crossbow arrow ? ) 

I shot my Barnett twice. Lost both bolts.

I don’t think we’re doing something right LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I shot my Barnett twice. Lost both bolts.

I don’t think we’re doing something right LOL

Glad to know I am not the only one can't hit the side of a barn !!!!  Not to ring my bell but I have been told I am an excellent shot with a rifle !!!! = but I can't shoot my crossbow or compound bow worth a darn 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Glad to know I am not the only one can't hit the side of a barn !!!!  Not to ring my bell but I have been told I am an excellent shot with a rifle !!!! = but I can't shoot my crossbow or compound bow worth a darn 

i used to be ( back in high school days ) pretty dang good with a recurve bow ?, but that was back then !.

• Like 1

My wife is having a garage sale Saturday and I'm finally getting rid of my PSE Laser compound bow that I bought new in 1978. It was the best around at the time. Should have antique value by now.🙄

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I’ve been shooting bow for 20 years.  Best word of advice, compound or crossbow; anchor point and level shooting is everything. I bought a $300 iq pro hunter a couple years ago and I couldn’t believe how much little things Effected my anchor. Wrist torque and release strap twist. All sorts of crap to throw you off. Figure out the best way to shoot level and anchor consistently. That’s my $0.02

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 6:44 AM, Fishfiles said:

I have not plugged it in yet to see just how hot it gets , think I need to mount it where it will never come in contact with any wires , plastic or wood , think I am going to plug it in today outside the cabinet and see just how hot it gets 

just a question fish, or, anybody else, would charcoal act, as a dehumidifier, so ya wouldnt have to worry about something plugged in?

Edited by LedFTed

6 hours ago, LedFTed said:

just a question fish, or, anybody else, would charcoal act, as a dehumidifier, so ya wouldnt have to worry about something plugged in?

They make desiccant that you can put in there and when needed refresh in your oven. I also have one in my safe that you can take out and plug into an outlet to recharge it. 

• Like 1

Never heard about charcoal Led' , the gun safe dehumidifier seems to be doing the job , didn't notice any increase in the electric bill last couple of months , so far so good 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sled_22 said:

I’ve been shooting bow for 20 years.  Best word of advice, compound or crossbow; anchor point and level shooting is everything. I bought a $300 iq pro hunter a couple years ago and I couldn’t believe how much little things Effected my anchor. Wrist torque and release strap twist. All sorts of crap to throw you off. Figure out the best way to shoot level and anchor consistently. That’s my $0.02

See I know so little about shooting a bow that I don't know what you mean by "anchor point"

I picked up a compound bow last year, haven't shot it yet.  Bear Pledge.

Anchor point is where hold your hand against your head to look down the sights of the bow. If you don't hold your hand in the exact same spot every time you shoot, your pin placement and arrow placement will be inconsistent. Many factors play a part, release strap, clothing, glasses/contacts, etc.

An example of the difference it can make, hold a finger out in front of you and point at something, then close one eye. Now open the other eye and close the first. (hopefully you have both eyes).  your finger will be pointing else where because your line of sight moved. Same principle with a bow. You have to keep your line of sight down the arrow consistent. Lots of practice is usually required or adding tools to your bow to help correct tendencies.

Sled

• Thanks 1

Interesting. 

I'm left eye dominant and right handed, so I learned early on I have to close my left eye to shoot.

So you're saying my head needs to be in the same spot every time in relation to the bow and sight, and my hand also. 

Same principle as target shooting.  Consistency equals accuracy. 

• Like 1

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

I'm left eye dominant and right handed, so I learned early on I have to close my left eye to shoot.

Same. Tried shooting left handed but no thank you...

Something for you’ll bow shooters to try out is bow fishing. I would make sure it is legal in your area before sticking them. It is a big thing down here. There are charter services dedicated to bow fishing. People spend mucho denaro setting their boats up with lights , generators and shooting platforms. You need to aim low as the water affects where the fish is actually.  I have got lucky and stuck a few.   I have a Bear compound set up for fishing. Good thing about bow fishing is the arrow is tied to string. Lol 

• Like 1